Fuel economy after tuning - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel economy after tuning

  #16  
Old 08-15-2018, 07:37 AM
Deuce40s
Deuce40s is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 619
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I didn't see any mpg gain after my delete.
Are you calculating by hand or going by the computer? My computer estimated fuel usage was spot on before my delete, but 1+ gallon per tank incorrect after the delete. Before my delete I quit calculating by hand because the computer was always exactly correct. After my delete I thought my mileage had gone down until I calculated by hand.
 
  #17  
Old 08-15-2018, 04:48 PM
SkiSmuggs
SkiSmuggs is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 953
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by kper05 View Post
Your 9 MPG is certainly speed. Tuning with a DPF in place will likely cause earlier than normal active regenerations which further adds to your fuel consumption.
I've run both 5-Star and DP-Tuner tow tunes with DPF intact. Either tune actually extends the interval between regens, possibly because they don't shift into 6th until 44-47 mph vs 38-39 mph stock.
 
  #18  
Old 08-15-2018, 08:21 PM
kper05's Avatar
kper05
kper05 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: AL
Posts: 5,594
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Difficult to dispute experience and results. My knowledge is related to a buddy's LML where his active regeneration's were more frequent with a tune (I think +65HP). However, if there is more soot generated for whatever reason by the many types and levels of tunes, I still stick to the DPF will need to clean more often.

I agree the RPM's from delayed shifts will make the difference. I didn't learn until very recently how much soot is generated with our 6.7L's when lugging it in 6th. For eight years I thought the programming is designed for it compared to older engines and it is but it's still fuel and not enough RPMs. I spent a lot of time over the years keeping the truck in 6th and adding heavy accelerator to maintain speed up a slight hill or slowly accelerating unaware of the amount of soot.
 
  #19  
Old 08-15-2018, 09:36 PM
golfmedik's Avatar
golfmedik
golfmedik is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,358
golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
If you are down to 9 MPG pulling that trailer, you are simply going too fast. Easing up on the pedal costs nothing, is safer and everything will last longer.
Kind of a blanket statement don't you think? I never run more than 5 over the speed limit if going downhill and try to stay at 70-72. Most of our trips are within 100 miles of home except for the long vacations.
 
  #20  
Old 08-15-2018, 11:20 PM
schlepprock250's Avatar
schlepprock250
schlepprock250 is offline
Guns Dont Kill People..
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Archdale,N.C.
Posts: 2,655
schlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to behold
We just had our first tow this week with our new to us '14 Lariat cc sb 4x4... All stock, not tuned or deleted. With a mix of highway and back roads we were getting a solid 12 mpg hand calculated. With staying between 65 68 on the highways and 50 to 60ish on the back roads. We're towing a 38' 10000 lb travel trailer with a lifted golf cart in the bed.
 
  #21  
Old 08-16-2018, 01:01 AM
mxer0022's Avatar
mxer0022
mxer0022 is offline
Postmaster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tooele, UT
Posts: 2,606
mxer0022 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mxer0022 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
One thing I have noticed is I actually got slightly better mileage pulling our 29 foot TT. We pulled it from Boise to SLC and I averaged about 10 and a half. I originally thought it was because my enclosed trailer is a 7 foot tall but I put straight axles on the TT so it can't be any lower than the enclosed. Though I did pull it at 70 instead of the posted 80.
 
  #22  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:06 AM
SkiSmuggs
SkiSmuggs is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 953
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by kper05 View Post
Difficult to dispute experience and results. My knowledge is related to a buddy's LML where his active regeneration's were more frequent with a tune (I think +65HP). However, if there is more soot generated for whatever reason by the many types and levels of tunes, I still stick to the DPF will need to clean more often.

I agree the RPM's from delayed shifts will make the difference. I didn't learn until very recently how much soot is generated with our 6.7L's when lugging it in 6th. For eight years I thought the programming is designed for it compared to older engines and it is but it's still fuel and not enough RPMs. I spent a lot of time over the years keeping the truck in 6th and adding heavy accelerator to maintain speed up a slight hill or slowly accelerating unaware of the amount of soot.
I don't think all tunes are created equal. I tested an 80hp tow tune from one company that lugged even while towing. I dumped it when my truck started bucking trying to pull grades. The 35-50 HP tow tunes are more appropriate for towing as they use the transmission and generate less heat. Even DP-Tuner's performance tune is limited to 75HP as they feel more would tend to stress the DPF. You are probably correct that high power tunes and DPF don't work well together.
My experience in towing uphill sort of confirms that as soot tends to build while pulling hills because the DPF is being overwhelmed by the amount of soot produced even with EGT4 at 1000+ degrees. However, it burns off quickly once the hill is crested.
 
  #23  
Old 08-16-2018, 08:58 AM
The Bone's Avatar
The Bone
The Bone is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 728
The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.
There is only one way to increase horsepower and that is to dump more fuel into the engine. With that always increases more soot. You cant increase horsepower any other way. So a tune that increases horsepower never increases fuel millage.
When pulling any hill I always lock out 6th gear and if I need more power i lock out 5th. When i go down the other side i just unlock the upper gears as needed. Engage the cruise control and exhaust brake and the truck will hold a speed you set going down hill. I have had the truck go as far as 3rd gear going down hill. I figure the truck knows what it's doing and let it go.
 
  #24  
Old 08-16-2018, 10:08 AM
lynnmor
lynnmor is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 293
lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Kind of a blanket statement don't you think? I never run more than 5 over the speed limit if going downhill and try to stay at 70-72. Most of our trips are within 100 miles of home except for the long vacations.
The guy has a 7x14 trailer, I know of no way to get down to 9 MPG except a heavy foot. I have towed a much larger travel trailer thru all 48 contiguous states with a low trip average of 11.7 and a high trip average of 13.5. I tow at 63 MPH except where speed limits are lower. With my enclosed 8.5 x 16 x 7.5 high, 4,000 lb. trailer I get about 15 MPG on a six state trip. Blanket statement, sure, whatever.
 
  #25  
Old 08-16-2018, 01:55 PM
golfmedik's Avatar
golfmedik
golfmedik is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,358
golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
The guy has a 7x14 trailer, I know of no way to get down to 9 MPG except a heavy foot. I have towed a much larger travel trailer thru all 48 contiguous states with a low trip average of 11.7 and a high trip average of 13.5. I tow at 63 MPH except where speed limits are lower. With my enclosed 8.5 x 16 x 7.5 high, 4,000 lb. trailer I get about 15 MPG on a six state trip. Blanket statement, sure, whatever.
Lynnmor, my apologies as I thought you were replying to the post that I had just put up and these trucks in general. Going back and reading it, I realize you were talking about the OP. On your point, I concur!
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: