1986 F250 2wd 3 speed Auto to ZF5 swap - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 F250 2wd 3 speed Auto to ZF5 swap

Old 09-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Rembrant
Elder User
Rembrant is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
It's whatever you prefer, I used my old auto column. I took the cluster out, took a black piece of tape and went over the PRND321 in the dash to cover it up. I then went out under the hood and took a piece of wire and tied the shifter lever up. That keeps it in park so you can turn the key to start it. I then went in and drove that pin out and took the shifter lever off.
I used my existing column as well, and while not an auto column, it was almost the same being a 3-on-the-tree. I just removed all of the shifter mechanism inside, and like you drove the pin out for the shift handle. I went a little further and trimmed the protrusion off the section of the column where the shifter handle went, and filled the hole full of epoxy, sanded, painted, and you can't tell it was ever there. Under the hood, I just got a curved piece of sheet metal and covered the hole where the shift lever used to stick out below the brake booster. Painted black, and you can't even tell now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.