1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

F350 dually 2wd to 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 04:11 AM
Jmerchant6_9
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 dually 2wd to 4wd

Okay so I have tried to look up on this and have found a few different things that have been said but I guess not enough to tell me exactly what I need to know to make myself certain. So obviously I’ve seen they didn’t make 4wd F350 dually trucks til 99, and evidently the frame in the front isn’t even the same to be able to just swap in and bolt up to factory mounting points. So this is where I’ve seen a lot of fab work done and to me it’s just not worth it, if just buy another 4wd and just tow with this one. But then I’ve seen stuff about cab and chassis trucks having 4wd and people swapping these front ends, or talking about it anyways. So my real question is these cab and chassis trucks, can I just theoretically take the front end out from under one and swap into mine, aside from I’m sure welding up spring mounts, but that’s a lot different than taking off the front end of the truck and modifying the frame and carrying on. I’m hoping a better idea of the steps taken for it, and I’ve seen there’s single wheel as well and supposedly just need adapters after being swapped for their 4wd. So if all this is true and it’s not a humongous job of time and money I’d want to do it, so I’d also need to know what I’d really need to be looking for as far the front axle and what else is needed to do it.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:04 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
The cab and chassis trucks are not a "solution" to your swap problem. The only thing they are good for, and have always been good for is a donor for the dana 60 front axle, or a donor for the dually adapters so you can use them on a regular single wheel dana 60 axle and convert it to a dually dana 60 front axle.

You still have to do some modifications to your frame. The overall front frame on your 2wd is 90% the same as a 4x4 front frame. The largest difference is the 2wd has coil springs, the 4x4 has leaf springs. The modifications you are making to your frame are to accommodate the 4x4 leaf springs.

To mount the rear of the spring, you need the spring mount bracket, and you need to drill a few holes and mount this bracket. To mount the front of the spring, that is were the shackle is located, and the very front of the frame needs to be notched out for clearance, and another frame bracket needs to be mounted to mount the shackle. Besides drilling and mounting the steering track bar, that's about it for frame modifications.

Plan B would be to buy a shackle reversal kit. These kits are made for 4x4 trucks, and they are designed to move the shackle to the rear instead of the factory position on the front. So they give you a large crossbar bracket for the front mount, and the small custom shackle brackets for the rear spring mounts. Along with this you get a little lift also. So for the 4x4 guys it reverses the shackle, for the 2wd conversion guys it also reverses the shackle but it also gives you brackets and a little less frame modifications on the front.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:52 PM
Jmerchant6_9
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay so that answers all the missing pieces I had to understand what's going on. plan B doesn't sound to awful much hassle to do it then depending on what exactly it comes with and cost. So basically if i get this it will come with?? The brackets, shackles, etc.? Aside from the axle what all does this cover and is there anything left I need to get to do the job? I've seen axles so that's not a problem, even a dually dana 60 so it had the adapters, but if there's not one with adapters when the time comes (as with any of the other parts) is there somewhere I can buy them aftermarket? Thanks for the help by the way, I look through a bunch of threads and see what are bits and pieces to me but I do better if the stuff is in front of me and I can see it all in person lol.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:25 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Here's an example of the reversal kits you can buy.

https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/co...ford-fsrob-002

Here's a place that sells aftermarket adapters. They are not cheap.

Adaptors, Wheels, Duality Fenders and Complete Kits - Arrowcraft :: Helping You Handle the Road for over 30 years!

Don't forget the track bar, and if you end up with any lift, you will most likely need a dropped pitman arm and a dropped track bar frame bracket.