Looking to buy ranger - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Looking to buy ranger

Old 08-11-2018, 12:32 AM
southtexasidi
Senior User
southtexasidi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking to buy ranger

I currently am driving a 2004 F350 6.0 4x4 6 speed. My job changed locations about three months ago and am now having to drive 100 miles a day. Itís time for a commuter. I have been looking at rangers..preferably 4 cylinder models to save even more on gas. I will literally just be commuting to work in it. That is all. Iíve got my eye on a 99 and a 03 ranger. Both 4 cylinders. The 03 is an auto, the 99 is a 5 speed. I know nothing about rangers. Can yíall educate me on any need to knows on buying one? Anything in particular to stay away from? Any input would be appreciated. Oh and they both have around 150k on them. Thanks

Old 08-11-2018, 03:29 PM
spooktn
Elder User
spooktn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
To each his own,,,,but i hate the auto ( slug-o ) matic trans. Stick shift all the way foe me.On 4 banger do both have 4 or 8 spark plugs ? Got a friend with 98 ranger 4 banger ,,5 speed,,,8 spark plugs,,,very solid running truck,,,great gas mileage,,dependable ,reliable truck

Old 08-11-2018, 05:21 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
smlford has a good reputation on FTE.smlford has a good reputation on FTE.
I bought my '07 Ranger for the same reasons as the OP.
mine is a 2.3L Auto and get about 25 mpg all day long.
just coming up on 150K and she is running like a top...
while I like a manual transmission sometimes I prefer an auto for this application...

Old 08-12-2018, 06:06 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
03 Maz B23 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
03 is a 16 valve 4 plug engine wi th timing chain. This year had an electronic thermostat all one piece assembly and pricey. Also had an intake manifold runner control which can be problematic. Heater hose assembly has plastic connector that is mounted low on driver side that can fail due to engine heat. In rust belt check gas tank straps and rear spring shackle mounts. Have 03 myself and a good truck but there are weak areas i mention due to high mileage units you are checking. Personally would go for newer trucks with lower mileage .

Old 08-21-2018, 06:52 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
southtexasidi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Appreciate yíalls input..Iíve been looking and looking. No luck, everything I have looked at is either wayyy over priced, or in pretty rough shape. I found an 03 today with 172k 4 banger auto. Itís a real clean truck, runs good, everything looks good. New belt, new heater hose plastic thing,..etc etc. only thing that bothers me is the automatic trans. Should I be worried? Weíre these autos problematic?

Old 08-22-2018, 01:26 PM
Big_Al59
Elder User
Big_Al59 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why not look for a smaller car? Better ride, more power & better mpg. Just needing a commuter rig. Still have your big truck for weekends & truck stuff.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:01 AM
Dan Robertson
Elder User
Dan Robertson is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a 98 2-wheel drive with the 3.0 and a 5 speed. It consistently got 19-20 MPG and was capable of 24 if I really tried. It had 272K on the clock when I gave it to my brother to commute to work with. It still runs and other than a clutch and head gaskets, has had noting major done to it. I bought a 2005 4x4 Ranger with the 4.0 and an automatic. I really like the truck and the 4x4 but my gas mileage went down to 17. Ff I really try hard, including putting extra air in the tires I can squeak 18.5 out of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.