N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Upgrades???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 09:01 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upgrades???

So I will be moving to Folsom next year, for now just airbnb at several locations. Any way, looking for some insight on upgrades. Right now I have a kc38r turbo, 4" exhaust, FRX, and the crossover lines, radiator coolant bypass as well, and a GH programmed TS chip. I have a hydra in Colorado with 1023 tunes. So I want to upgrade the injectors...will I have troubles getting emissions tested for CA? I get emission tested right now in CO and have no issues passing with chip installed. I would appreciate any and all advice you guys can provide.

Thanks!!

Old 08-09-2018, 10:01 PM
916hawk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dmv is insane

i do not know how all your items effect your on board computer of if any of the emissions items have been removed. they first do a visual inspection for everything to the point that your cats match Kalifornia specs for the vehicle. next they will hook up obdII and scan the computer waiting for the car to rat itself out if any sensor is out of spec. if your check engine light is on Fail. if your computer has not had enough input, reset codes or dead battery Fail. then the last part, the wait times month or so behind with appointment. or an 7-8 hour wait in person depending on which office you try. make an on-line appointment as soon as you can.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:24 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
No emissions equipment removed, it was cat-less from the dealer. No check engine light either scans clean. Wow that is crazy on the wait...

Old 08-17-2018, 11:44 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a fun excursion! You will have some issues getting a smog, does it puff any black smoke? They do not use a "sniffer" inserted into tail pipe like gas motors, but they will do a "smoke test" to see if anything comes out under acceleration. I will be dealing with this by end of month. I will keep you posted-there is always a way around SMOG tests, it will cost ya tho

Old 08-18-2018, 11:41 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Yea that could be and issue, especially if I get some 238/80's...lol

Old 08-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Maltman
Posting Guru
My personal concern is if they will fail me for removeable cat. I can detune and pass due to stock injectors. My business partner seems to believe they didn't plug into his OBD port on his 6.0?

I will have some more answers this week for ya, my smog is due end of month. Its either $50 or $500....

Old 08-19-2018, 01:42 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Heck yea let me know how it goes...and good luck.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:00 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
So, my truck will not pass because cat needs to be welded in, not flanged. No sniffer in tail pipe but they do plug into OBD port and do a visual "smoke test".

I think at least you are ok because your truck didn't come with a cat. Hope this helps ya!

Old 08-21-2018, 11:10 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Yes it does. Luckily, it was cat-less from the factory. I should have no OBD issues, they hook up to my port here in Colorado and never said a thing. I think they are just checking for codes. Appreciate the help.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Maltman
So, my truck will not pass because cat needs to be welded in, not flanged. No sniffer in tail pipe but they do plug into OBD port and do a visual "smoke test".

I think at least you are ok because your truck didn't come with a cat. Hope this helps ya!
Call B.S. on them. My early 99 PSD has a factory removable cat. In fact, for the first 12 years of ownership I had the factory bypass piece in place of the cat. Some trucks got cats, and some didn't so Ford had them easy to configure on the line I guess.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:26 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My understanding is that the law states that you can't do any modifications from factory smog equipment to any part of the smog system on your truck. If something has been modified, the only way you could pass would be to schedule with a referee. But if it is obvious that the modification was done to eliminate or bypass a part of the smog system (and not because you had legal intentions to avoid the smog device) the referee is not likely to allow the modification. At one time, many years ago, I modified the headers on my old highboy with a 460 conversion by fabbing a stove riser to the headers and the referee passed my mod. But that was only because his perception of my mod was that I was trying to comply with the law, not dodge it.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:07 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
If something has been modified, the only way you could pass would be to schedule with a referee.
That's not the only way. If the replacement part has a CARB certification, then a person would be ok and not need to see the ref. The ref is really needed is cases like you expressed you had, or for example if a cummins was put into a Ford truck.

As for mods to your truck, the KC38r isn't CARB legal so if they recognize that, it won't pass. The exhaust is ok, as California has allowed all aftermarket turbo-back exhaust systems, along with all aftermarket intake filter setups. Your coolant filter bypass system is ok, however it is possible to find a smog shop who isn't familiar with everything that's allowed, and one shop may give you a hard time while another may not care. The FRX and any custom tuning (except Banks, IIRC) are not allowed under current CARB restrictions so put wire loom around the braided lines and hide the TS switch behind the dash.

The shop will plug into your OBD 2 port and look for hard codes only, since the 7.3L PSD isn't fully OBD 2 compliant. They are also supposed to do a snap test to look for excessive smoke, which while they have guidelines for allowed opacity, is still a very extremely subjective based upon the opinion of the tester.

Stewart

Old 08-24-2018, 09:14 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
That's not the only way. If the replacement part has a CARB certification, then a person would be ok and not need to see the ref. The ref is really needed is cases like you expressed you had, or for example if a cummins was put into a Ford truck.

As for mods to your truck, the KC38r isn't CARB legal so if they recognize that, it won't pass. The exhaust is ok, as California has allowed all aftermarket turbo-back exhaust systems, along with all aftermarket intake filter setups. Your coolant filter bypass system is ok, however it is possible to find a smog shop who isn't familiar with everything that's allowed, and one shop may give you a hard time while another may not care. The FRX and any custom tuning (except Banks, IIRC) are not allowed under current CARB restrictions so put wire loom around the braided lines and hide the TS switch behind the dash.

The shop will plug into your OBD 2 port and look for hard codes only, since the 7.3L PSD isn't fully OBD 2 compliant. They are also supposed to do a snap test to look for excessive smoke, which while they have guidelines for allowed opacity, is still a very extremely subjective based upon the opinion of the tester.

Stewart
So turbo back exhaust is OK??? I'm sure you must be referring to vehicles not originally equipped with a cat, right? Mine came with a cat so I think I can only legally go cat back, right? I don't know because I've been living where it is not required to have biannual smog checks for the past 25 years. I'd guess a lot has changed in that time. Yes, you are correct that some modifications are approved, I Guess I neglected to mention that morsel.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:00 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
So turbo back exhaust is OK??? I'm sure you must be referring to vehicles not originally equipped with a cat, right?
Absolutely yes. I was being specific to the 7.3, but even still I should have qualified my statement like you clarified, because while most L99 and up 7.3's are catless from the factory, not all of them were.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Stewart