Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth upgrading just the speakers?

Old 08-09-2018, 07:00 PM
thomasr
Senior User
thomasr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Worth upgrading just the speakers?

My question is kind of model and package specific so I'll ask here. I have a 2017 Crew Cab XL package. No carpet, just rubber floor liner with Weather-Tecs over that. I really don't consider myself an audiophile but I've come to the conclusion I don't particularly like the way my audio system sounds. The more I crank it up, the more tin-canny it sounds. I don't really want to replace the head unit, nor install an amp. I spent an insane amount of $$ putting a sound system on my Harley that I could hear clearly at interstate speeds and I'd rather not go there again. Would it be worthwhile/noticeable to just upgrade the speakers? Any particular brand/model that will improve the sound but won't break the bank? Or is the head unit a weak link I just can't get around. Thanks folks.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Delta Echo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by thomasr View Post
My question is kind of model and package specific so I'll ask here. I have a 2017 Crew Cab XL package. No carpet, just rubber floor liner with Weather-Tecs over that. I really don't consider myself an audiophile but I've come to the conclusion I don't particularly like the way my audio system sounds. The more I crank it up, the more tin-canny it sounds. I don't really want to replace the head unit, nor install an amp. I spent an insane amount of $$ putting a sound system on my Harley that I could hear clearly at interstate speeds and I'd rather not go there again. Would it be worthwhile/noticeable to just upgrade the speakers? Any particular brand/model that will improve the sound but won't break the bank? Or is the head unit a weak link I just can't get around. Thanks folks.
Yes, aftermarket speakers will be very worthwhile. Crutchfield has tons of reasonably priced options.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:53 AM
Terryd91
Elder User
Terryd91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Terryd91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes but don't go crazy. If you don't plan on upgrading everything else driving the speakers top of the line speakers will be overkill.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:54 AM
JKBrad
Postmaster
JKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to all
Kicker makes a plug and play kit. So does JBL, which was very expensive when it came out but can usually be for blowout sale prices these days. Th drawback to the JBL is that it takes up all the room under the back seat. The Kicker hides away and interferes with nothing.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Delta1166
Freshman User
Delta1166 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Agreed the stock speakers suck.
Skip the add-on subwoofers for now & just replace the stock 6x9 front door speakers w/ a good set of 3-way 6x9's.
Like the JL Audio C2-690tx Evolution™ C2 Series 6"x9" 3-way car speakers. About a buck & a quarter on Amazonia, maybe less on FleaBay.
You'll prolly have to re-use the original speaker housing if you don't get the Metra adaptors (plenty of U-tube vids show the procedure)..
IMHO there's little need to replace the rears but if'n you do~ go with a set of coaxials
Replacing all - as noted above - will run just over $200 and a coupla' hours of your time to install.

here's some ideas:
Pioneer TS-A6985R 6" x 9" 4-Way TS Speakers, keeping in mind that over time the Pioneer speakers tend to distort.
Infinity Kappa 693.11i Coaxials. The Infinity's tend to punch up the mid's & treble.
The JL Audio C2-690tx will provide a stronger deeper bass along w/ the enhanced treble & mid ranges.

whatever choice you make your ears will thank you!

Old 08-10-2018, 10:24 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
Plenty of cheap speakers on market just have to look. Decent pair could be had for around $50 just look for some with a high sensitivity rating.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:56 AM
doyall
Freshman User
doyall is starting off with a positive reputation.
After seeing a YouTube video of speaker replacement and seeing the crappiness of the speakers (especially the rear), I replaced the rears in my 2018 with some budget, but good spec (relatively full spectrum, good sensitivity, etc.) co-axial Kenwoods pulled from a previous system in another vehicle where they sounded decent but not great. The difference in the truck was marginal, at best. Come to find out from perusing various other forums that the frequency signals to the rear speakers appears to be limited/cut-off by the control unit to avoid damage to the cheapo speakers. Seems as though it takes FORScan ability and knowledge of the correct settings to get a full-range signal to the speakers for optimal output. Still studying and contemplating doing FORScan before I go further.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:22 AM
thomasr
Senior User
Thanks to everybody for all the input. I had a chance to hear some Rockford Fosgate R165X3 a friend installed in his 2010 Tacoma with stock HU and I was pretty impressed by their performance and even more impressed when I saw the price....about $40 a pair. I checked them out on Crutchfield and ran their vehicle compatibility thing and it came back with 6.5" round, but a couple of you mentioned 6X9. So what it's in my truck now??? Does it really matter? Can I do better with a different speaker for not much more $$. I'm kinda cheap but appreciate quality so I spend most of my life in a conundrum.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:01 AM
doyall
Freshman User
doyall is starting off with a positive reputation.
6X9 front, 6.5 rear. You can put a 6.5 in the front with an adapter (actually need adapter for practically any install) but can not put 6X9 in the rear.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:56 AM
thomasr
Senior User
Thank you doyall, Are those Rockfords a good option?

Old 08-11-2018, 09:39 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
Rockford is always a solid choice. They were kings at one point then kinda went away (not literally) just didn’t have the presence... perhaps that’s to be expected when your employees win the lotto on a office pool.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:42 PM
thomasr
Senior User
Okay, another question. Will the speaker harness connectors from a 2014 fit the 2017? I can find plenty for 14-15 but nothing higher. Or does anybody now the part number of the comparable connector to fit the factory harness? I know I can splice them I was just looking for a cleaner install. Thanks.

P.S. "perhaps that’s to be expected when your employees win the lotto on a office pool" Did that really happen????

Old 08-12-2018, 08:37 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
It was awhile back I wanna say in the early ‘90s but yes on a office pool they hit the lottery I’m not sure how much they won but I remember seeing them on TV and of course they were all saying they planned on continuing to work. Rockford Fosgate was a local deal here then in Tempe AZ I’m not sure if they are still based there or not.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:00 PM
mptoledo
New User
mptoledo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just put my 2013 Kicker soundgate plug and play system(2 amps, sub ) into my 2018. I paid around $300 for it a few years ago and didn't want it going to waste. The stock speakers came alive, the bass was much better. I tried to put the kicker speakers in, but they don't fit without serious modifying. The speaker amp had to be placed behind radio(which is much easier to access now). The subwoofer needs new brackets, but if your not off-roading, it stays put just fine. I will be updating my 4 doors here shortly as soon as I have time to figure out a bracket for them, or I will be getting new ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: