Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny pan bolts

Old 08-09-2018, 01:46 PM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
BillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to behold
Tranny pan bolts

I did an oil change the other day and finally replaced the oil drain plug gasket and YEAH!!! No more oil drips.... or so I thought.. I found that the tranny pan has 2 bolts that are drooling a little. Not bad...took about 3 days to leave a drop on the shop floor. But... can I remove the 2 problem bolts and add a little sealant to them to hold until I get all the supplies for a drain n fill with new filter and gasket? Or will the fluid really drain out if I pull the bolts?
i did try to snug them up a touch but still drooling.

Thnaks all!

Old 08-09-2018, 03:22 PM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Fluid won't drain out if you pull the bolts. IIRC the gasket goes around the bolts and shouldn't be an issue.

When I've dropped my pan none of my bolt holes dripped when I removed them.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:16 PM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
BillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to behold
Realized that I have a few sheets of gasket materials. About 4 different types. Gonna punch some out and see if that will work. Figure that would be better than sealant.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:40 AM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
My 4R100 has a pan gasket. It's obviously more expensive than cutting your own if you already have the material, but it's an option.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:14 AM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
My 4R100 has a pan gasket. It's obviously more expensive than cutting your own if you already have the material, but it's an option.
I was just thinking of doing that for the two seeping pan bolts. Like a gasket washer type of thing. Just until I get all the supplies together for a full fluid swap. Just a couple of punches and a hammer and I can cut simple "washers" out in no time. When I am ready I will then replace the whole pan gasket.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:39 AM
CousinCarl
Senior User
CousinCarl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Torque spec is 11 ft lbs so be careful not to over-snug and warp the pan. The gasket does go around the bolts. I just went back to OEM after using a wix gasket that came with the filter, which failed to create a complete seal. You could drain the pan into a clean container. 6-8qts will drain out. Replace the gasket, then re-add the fluid.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
Ya know....I was thinking of that. Need to replace my current oil drain pans anyway. They are getting pretty ratty. If i just drain and refill with new filter...that is only 8 qts...right? May do that for now just to do it right on the pan gasket instead of trying to be McGuyver.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:58 AM
CousinCarl
Senior User
Yes. Should be no more than 8. I believe I had 6.5 in there when I did the gasket switch not too long ago and it was still in the full range on the dip stick.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:40 AM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
OK WTH... I have checked 3 part store sites and have found only STP and Mobile 1 carry Mercron V.
I did find Castrol Mercron V at Advance auto..but haven't used Castrol products. Worth it? What about Synthetic?

Old 08-10-2018, 11:57 AM
brian42
Postmaster
I've been using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF since I bought the truck and haven't had any issues (knock on wood) for the 170K miles I've put on the odometer since then.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:15 PM
CousinCarl
Senior User
My local NAPA stocks Amsoil ATF that has the merc V spec so that's what I use. Mobil 1 is popular and usually carried by Advance.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Amsoil doesn't have the MERCON V spec. Amsoil says their fluid is for use in MERCON V applications. That's different.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:51 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Fwiw, mines filled with STP..with 165k of unknown miles, figured, regular is better then not doing a flush, but also, didnt want to pony up the cheese for synthetic, if she was to fail within so many miles

Old 08-11-2018, 06:33 PM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
Well as luck would have it, the PSD gremlins helped me out this time.
Along with the oil change, I also decided it was time for new bearings and in work on on them, I turned the front wheels without the engine running and it drooled everywhere out of the reservoir. I saw the fluid looked real nasty so decided it was time to flush.the steering pump and H boost... When I went to disconnect the return line, I noticed the clamp holding it wasn't even down where it would do any good. So whoever did this the last time didn't put the clamp back in place..then I saw thew dampness below the line on the booster...then the trail leading right down to the top\side of the tranny. Well tie me down and tickle me with a feather. Guess where the steering fluid, (trans fluid) was drooling around to.
So 4 quarts later, pretty red fluid flowing through the lines and a much quieter steering.... No more drooling from the "tranny pan bolts". Funny how things work out. Finished the flush, wiped off the tranny pan and all bolts, the trail leading up.... and drove it for about 40 miles running a couple of errands. No more drops...no more spots on the shop floor. Will check it again for a few days but it is looking good so far.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:24 PM
CousinCarl
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Amsoil doesn't have the MERCON V spec. Amsoil says their fluid is for use in MERCON V applications. That's different.
My mistake. Thanks for clarifying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.