How many miles before CAC cold side failure? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

How many miles before CAC cold side failure?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 08-09-2018, 05:54 AM
bwbarnes
Freshman User
bwbarnes is starting off with a positive reputation.

I'm curious if there is an expected lifetime of the cold side tube. Those who have had the failure can you post how many miles you had when it failed and if you were still stock? My 2014 is at 32k miles and I've started towing a 13k lb 5th wheel. With the 5th wheel I'm seeing higher boost levels than I did with the lighter travel trailer so I'm thinking I better do the upgrade but I'm wondering how urgent it is.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:07 AM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Mileage will vary. These aren't failing in huge numbers, just that some do fail. Some mass produced batches will be better than others.

Mine survived 96,000 miles with nothing higher than stock boost.

I put a new OEM on it and am not concerned. If it does break apart, then it'll be a lesson learned and I'll go with a recommended aftermarket from here.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:23 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
I had 39,500 on mine when it blew. Monty had about 22k on his. The odds are yours won't blow but for the low cost of a quality replacement, it's just not worth the risk to me. Whenever I'm towing through someplace really hairy like NYC on I95 or Chicago at rush hour on I90 I think about when mine failed and how lucky I was with location. It could have been downright dangerous to me and my truck/RV if it happened at the wrong place. Even at night or in the pouring rain would have sucked.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:24 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Rodney, you already changed your CAC on the 2017? I thought I read that you did. I'm going to let mine be. The 2017 has a slightly different version so I'll cross my fingers and truck on.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:26 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
I changed it as soon as I got it Jim. The part that fails is identical to the previous generation on the 2017+ trucks.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 AM
Chad149
Deplorable
Chad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputation
No rhyme or reason for failure. Put a 100k on my tube before i swapped it out, but it was still going strong.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:32 AM
flstf09
New User
flstf09 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2012 F450 at work it blew at 71k.2012 F350 with 110k+ hasn't blown yet.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:58 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
And the vast majority of them won't blow. I will tell you though, no one wants to be in my company in the minority.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:59 AM
MKrenn
Freshman User
MKrenn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MKrenn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've only had this truck for a couple months. My son works at a local diesel shop and looked it over when I got it. He told me it's about to fail. I carried a band clamp with me just in case. Dealer replaced it free of charge under factory warranty. It has 44,000 miles on it. It's a good idea to just replace if you see signs. Ford usually covers it. It's no fun to be hooked up to a camper and blow one. I have seen that!

Old 08-09-2018, 10:21 AM
L3dford
Senior User
L3dford has a good reputation on FTE.L3dford has a good reputation on FTE.
Mine failed in July at 47835 miles on my 2013. I carried a stock spare so I wasn't stranded and have already replaced it with the H&S.
Like others have said, it won't happen to the majority but unfortunately it does happen to some.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:33 AM
KC8QVO
Posting Guru
KC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to all
156,000 miles on mine. I have the truck down for some work. With all the talk of CAC failures recently I inspected both sides of the cold pipe a few days ago and see nothing that shows any weakness. No hairline cracks, stretch marks, ect. Everything looks good to me.

That said, it is higher on my list of upgrades in the future than some other things.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:31 AM
FSeybert
Senior User
FSeybert is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2013 F-350 blew at 81,000. The consensus here was that it isn't all that common, the local dealership that replaced it under warranty said the same. Less than 6 months later, the one on my 2012 F-550 blew. Think and do what you want. H&S already on the F-550, ordering one for the F-350.....

Old 08-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Thom12 has a good reputation on FTE.Thom12 has a good reputation on FTE.Thom12 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by MKrenn View Post
I've only had this truck for a couple months. My son works at a local diesel shop and looked it over when I got it. He told me it's about to fail. I carried a band clamp with me just in case. Dealer replaced it free of charge under factory warranty. It has 44,000 miles on it. It's a good idea to just replace if you see signs. Ford usually covers it. It's no fun to be hooked up to a camper and blow one. I have seen that!
Mine failed at 68K. I had not towed my toy hauler in the year prior to it letting go. When it let go I knew exactly what happened.

MK, Just curious, how could your son tell it was about to fail? I did not see any issues with mine the weekend before it blew.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:09 PM
bwbarnes
Freshman User
bwbarnes is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would also like to hear about the warning signs to look for on the pipe. I'm glad to hear that the odds of it failing are relatively low but as its been pointed out when it fails it will likely not be in a good place or time. I will be replacing it for piece of mind while towing on a trip if for nothing else. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2018, 08:26 PM
Chad149
Deplorable
Chad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by bwbarnes View Post
I would also like to hear about the warning signs to look for on the pipe. I'm glad to hear that the odds of it failing are relatively low but as its been pointed out when it fails it will likely not be in a good place or time. I will be replacing it for piece of mind while towing on a trip if for nothing else. Thanks!
Just too easy and cheap of upgrade to not do, for the level of frustration it causes of by rare chance it does fail.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: