Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And I quit...part 2

Old 08-08-2018, 06:42 PM
gmammakn
Senior User
gmammakn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.gmammakn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
And I quit...part 2

So made it 5 days of perfection. And the brakes gave out. Had to have to car towed home. Rear caliper blew. Only good thing is that is a reman caliper from autozone so guaranteed for life.

Wife not happy. But I told her I could fix it.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:51 PM
JaySVX
Posting Guru
JaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to behold
I spent under $500 to replace all 4 calipers, rotors, and pads. When in question, replace. It's not that expensive and when it comes to stopping your massive rig, best not to leave anything to chance. Mine was possible to rebuild, re-grease slids, etc. However then where would i be in a year from now, the same spot. They're cheap, and best to do them in pairs. I think I paid $230 for the rear, $270 for the front. Advance auto parts and their 20% coupons, limit $50 discount, so just make multiple orders.

The question is, how does a caliper blow? Or the line to the caliper? I've never heard of a caliper rupturing, unless the pistons i guess.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Jesse Walter
Freshman User
Jesse Walter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
I spent under $500 to replace all 4 calipers, rotors, and pads. When in question, replace. It's not that expensive and when it comes to stopping your massive rig, best not to leave anything to chance. Mine was possible to rebuild, re-grease slids, etc. However then where would i be in a year from now, the same spot. They're cheap, and best to do them in pairs. I think I paid $230 for the rear, $270 for the front. Advance auto parts and their 20% coupons, limit $50 discount, so just make multiple orders.
I always buy from advance auto. One you make a purchase over $100 you start getting $20 coupons. Team that up with the 20% off you get some pretty good savings. THEN do the multiple orders. Better yet if you leave items in your cart for a couple days they sometimes send you a 25% discount email.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:39 PM
JaySVX
Posting Guru
JaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jesse Walter View Post
I always buy from advance auto. One you make a purchase over $100 you start getting $20 coupons. Team that up with the 20% off you get some pretty good savings. THEN do the multiple orders. Better yet if you leave items in your cart for a couple days they sometimes send you a 25% discount email.
That's the other thing, I keep getting these 20$ coupons, then 25% emails, etc. It really drives the prices down. It's to the point where I drop it in my cart, and 3 hours later I get the 25% off email. Definitely sign up for an account, free shipping or pick up in store in 30 minutes if you have one close by. I just paid $38 for my 6.4 transmission oil pan with free shipping.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:19 PM
dethpulse
Senior User
dethpulse is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just put these bad boys on my truck: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...414482&jsn=496

and I replaced the hoses with these: https://www.klmperformance.com/ford-...nes-99-05.html

Not too bad and you get sweet red calipers . There are also cheaper alternatives which are also good - just get it done!

Old 08-10-2018, 08:09 AM
96firephoenix
Senior User
96firephoenix has a good reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a good reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a good reputation on FTE.
I'll second the powerstop kit! Wonderful brakes.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:42 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
I'll second the powerstop kit! Wonderful brakes.

Why do you use a drilled rotor with ceramic pads ?
Seems to me to go against everything known about braking setups.

Drilled rotors were used with organic pads to help with pad gassing, ceramic pads donít do that.
Also all the pro advise Iíve read suggest ceramic pads are not suitable for heavy trucks/suvs or towing.

Ceramic Vs. Metallic Brake Pads

fwiw, I tried the powerstop with metallic pads and every single hole on the rotor cracked.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:50 PM
dethpulse
Senior User
I dunno, I've been running powerstops for years in my last Escalade ESV and I just put them on my "new" (new to me) Excursion. They have been very affordable and reliable for me.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:50 AM
JaySVX
Posting Guru
Semi-metalic grip much harder than ceramic, but ceramic dont' get brake dust all over your pretty wheels. However they don't grip like semi-metallic either. Maximum grip requires maximum wear

Old 08-11-2018, 01:20 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
I run the ATX Teflon coated rims.... brake dust washes right off

but seriously, no sure why more vendors don’t do their black ( of they are sorta platinum color ) rims in Teflon.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:28 AM
dethpulse
Senior User
I have to say - I am contently learning from this site! Thanks guys, I'll try a different set up next brake change (I secretly hope to keep this 7.3 forever ).

Old 08-11-2018, 01:42 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dethpulse View Post
I have to say - I am contently learning from this site! Thanks guys, I'll try a different set up next brake change (I secretly hope to keep this 7.3 forever ).

I am likely harder on my brakes then most, at the time I lived in the Sierra Nevada mountains and almost all of my driving was steep and winding mountain roads and often towing. Aside from Brakes I would burn through a set of M/T tires in 10-12,000 miles. Mountains are hard on Big heavy vehicles.

after my current set of rotors I am going back to motorcraft rotors as you just can not beat the quality.
The Hawk LTS pads are my favorite but I value stopping Power over all else, a little brake squeal and a bit of dust dont bother me.
Hawk Brake Pads | Best Brake Pads | Hawk Performance

Old 08-11-2018, 01:34 PM
zipdrive
Freshman User
zipdrive is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.zipdrive is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
EBC rotors (solids), and yellow stuff pads. Makes for a great stopping truck. Does it last 80k miles, no. But living in CO, and going up and down the mountains I do get 40k out of them, and that includes towing a trailer off and on during the summer. I've never personally ran Hawks, but I did drive a number of road race cars with them, and liked the performance friction better. Then just switched to EBC and have stayed there since.

Cross drilled rotors are nothing more than stress points to have cracks develop. Not a question of if, just when. Aftermarket loves them, minimal impact on the machining process and huge price difference for no performance gains. Slotted look cool, but are doing anything for you unless your running an organic like Pirate said. And you would have to be running them hot to get them to develop the gas layer and the brakes have probably turned to mush at that point anyways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.