All because the batteries were on their way out. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

All because the batteries were on their way out.

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 08-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Keeseter CO
Senior User
Keeseter CO has a good reputation on FTE.Keeseter CO has a good reputation on FTE.Keeseter CO has a good reputation on FTE.

2012 6.7l with the OEM batteries in him and @ 73k miles.

This winter, when the truck was cold, it stopped starting off of the ignition in the steering column. It would fire normally with remote start. This summer it stopped starting at all off the column, still would fire no problem off of remote start. Last Friday it stopped starting at all. Tow it to the dealer expecting this to be a warranty item for them to call me and tell me that $370 in batteries and he starts like a dream.

I find this whole thing very odd for what ended up being dying batteries. Anyone else experience this? If not, I thought i'd put it out there.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:11 PM
seville009
Posting Guru
seville009 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.seville009 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I try to change my batteries every three years even if they seem fine, just do that I know itíll start in the winter.

Iíve got an aftermarket remote starter in mine, and had the opposite result when the battery was getting down - remote start wouldnít always work, but key start would work fine.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Keeseter CO
Senior User
Keeseter CO has a good reputation on FTE.Keeseter CO has a good reputation on FTE.Keeseter CO has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by seville009 View Post
Iíve got an aftermarket remote starter in mine, and had the opposite result when the battery was getting down
Good to know, Seville. Thanks.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:25 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to behold
6 years on OEM batteries? You were definitely on borrowed time. That's about 3 years longer than most of us get out of them. The BCM module will refuse to complete the start process if battery is too low. It can be bypassed sometimes as you found out by remote start. The reason for that is the threshold value, remote starting doesn't wake up the other modules so the voltage doesn't drop as much. This allows the BCM to still see 12.4 volts and start.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Keeseter CO
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
6 years on OEM batteries? You were definitely on borrowed time. That's about 3 years longer than most of us get out of them.
In all honesty, I probably swapped them out, I just don't remember. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-08-2018, 04:35 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
I'm on my third set in eight years. I ran the OEM and second set until they were unusable. I have the OEM remote start and mine would not remote start this past winter (fail to start, one chirp of the horn) but I could get an additional chance at turning it over with the key.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:39 AM
Traveling Man
Senior User
Traveling Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
When the battery in my wife's Lincoln LS began to fail the car would actually start up but the alarm would activate including horn and flashing lights, then shut off. You could start it up again with the same results. Apply jumper cables and jump off from another source and no alarm. It was a real motivator to get a new battery I'll say that.
BTW, my 2012 Super Duty purchased in September 2012 is running original batteries and tires. They both will need to be replaced this year.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:48 PM
KC8QVO
Posting Guru
KC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to all
2011 MY, new in June 2011. I have replaced the batteries twice - both times in the winter and the last replacement was around Christmas. So about 3 years a set sounda right.

I replaced them with Optima yellow tops. I am hoping these last longer. The engine starts real easy on these batteries. I will have to see what the voltage dips to under starting loads. I suspect these handle the draw a little better than the OEM's.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:56 PM
MTalley
Elder User
MTalley has a very good reputation on FTE.MTalley has a very good reputation on FTE.MTalley has a very good reputation on FTE.
Has anyone had any other quirky things happen before the batteries died? Someone on another forum had something weird go on with their wipers shortly before they had to replace batteries.

The other day, I got in my truck (which is almost 3 years old, btw), put the key in the ignition and the seat didn't move forward. Pulled key, put it in again, still nothing. Tried pushing the memory button to see if it would do anything. Nothing. Truck started and ran fine. Next time I got in it, seat moved forward as normal.

Another time a few weeks ago, I got in the truck and about 30 seconds after starting, the wipers wiped once (dry weather, hadn't used wipers in a couple days). I shrugged it off until I was sitting at a stop sign about 30 seconds later and the wipers swiped once. About the right amount of time delay for the slowest intermittent setting. I looked down and the wipers were off. While I stared at it and pondered, the wipers wiped once again. I looked and the lights were not on (I have them set to come on automatically if the wipers are on). Turned the wipers on and back off at the stalk and everything was fine.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:40 PM
Army RET
Elder User
Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.
Long ago it was generally safe to wait until your first no-start (often with subsequent starts working OK) before worrying about batteries.

Nowadays (from my perspective) modern vehicles (with all their electronics) are creating a tremendous demand on batteries.
When these modern vehicles batteries start to weaken they manifest in many different (weird) ways.

While $300(+) isn't exactly chump change once these weird problems appear it's time to pro-actively change the batteries out.

JMHO.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Keeseter CO
Senior User
Originally Posted by Army RET View Post
While $300(+) isn't exactly chump change once these weird problems appear it's time to pro-actively change the batteries out.

JMHO.
Yeah, I agree. I'm just used to the older trucks giving me different indicators as to what was going to happen. I honestly thought this was going to be a reasonable warranty-solved problem.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:26 PM
doczenith1
Senior User
doczenith1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I changed my OEM batteries a month or so ago. 7 years and 7 months and ~68K miles. After the truck sat for 4 days I went to start it and it cranked slow but started so I knew it was time. I never had any weird things happen though. I attribute part of the long life span of the batteries to the cooler climate I live in. Heat is what kills batteries. Went with Duracell's from Sam's Club at $100 each.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: