1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

rocker arm and push rods

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 02:32 PM
red66rider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rocker arm and push rods

anyone have any good suggestions for the 3.9/4.6L inline six motors? have one rocker that after tightening it seems to work loose again so figured I just give the whole top end(rockers, nuts, and rods) a rebuild. appreciate any help/suggestions. thanks.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:07 PM
k2evd
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
try the inline six forum probly get some good advice over there
good luck

Old 08-09-2018, 05:36 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Received 521 Likes on 414 Posts
Rockers

Originally Posted by red66rider
anyone have any good suggestions for the 3.9/4.6L inline six motors? have one rocker that after tightening it seems to work loose again so figured I just give the whole top end(rockers, nuts, and rods) a rebuild. appreciate any help/suggestions. thanks.
You can get all those parts at about any parts house. First thing is to determine if your lock nut still has enough tension to hold and not move. If you can turn it with little effort it probably needs replaced. Also the rocker studs are pressed in and can pull out. Just compare the height of the one that is loosening against one that isn't, if it is pulling out you can buy .003 oversize studs that should cure that. The shop manual explains how to remove and replace the studs. Worst case if even an oversize isn't tight enough you can drill through the stud boss and stud and drive in a roll pin.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:59 AM
red66rider
Senior User
Originally Posted by k2evd
try the inline six forum probly get some good advice over there
good luck
will check it out.... thanks.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:16 AM
red66rider
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crop Duster
You can get all those parts at about any parts house. First thing is to determine if your lock nut still has enough tension to hold and not move. If you can turn it with little effort it probably needs replaced. Also the rocker studs are pressed in and can pull out. Just compare the height of the one that is loosening against one that isn't, if it is pulling out you can buy .003 oversize studs that should cure that. The shop manual explains how to remove and replace the studs. Worst case if even an oversize isn't tight enough you can drill through the stud boss and stud and drive in a roll pin.
I bought new lock nuts a few months back and changed them out. at this point I did the whole TDC adjustment to every rocker and it just seems to be the one that is giving me issues. will have to check the height of the stud to see where it is at.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:54 AM
red66rider
Senior User
maybe a dumb question, but what does the rocker arm ball do? can this wear out?

Old 08-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Rockers

maybe a dumb question, but what does the rocker arm ball do? can this wear out?
Yes they can and do wear out but usually the rocker will wear more than the ball. Also the tip of the rocker can gall and wear very quickly but if that happens it usually ruins the valve stem in the process. Check the studs and if they are tight and haven't moved just replace the entire rocker assembly, I think they are only about $15 each at NAPA.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:22 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
You said 3.9 and 4.6L inline 6 engines in your first post. That threw me - I now suspect you are referring to the 240/300 engines. The 240 was never called out as a metric measurement since it was discontinued long before that and the 300 was later referred to as a 4.9L so when you use your own terminology it can be quite confusing to some of us that take what is typed a bit more literally.

You still are not following the shop manual procedures. I cannot recommend enough to you that you buy the shop manuals or if you have them try to read them. They have the exact method of checking the rocker nuts to determine if they are OK or need to be replaced. You wouldn't have to ask so many questions or get some answers that are not complete if you did your own research in the books a little more.

Asking others to be your shop manual or look things up in their manuals for you is OK, but not really necessary if you just buy your own books. I'd make a photocopy or digital copy of mine for you and send them to you but I'd have to tear apart mine to scan them properly.

Chad

Old 08-10-2018, 09:35 AM
red66rider
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crop Duster
Yes they can and do wear out but usually the rocker will wear more than the ball. Also the tip of the rocker can gall and wear very quickly but if that happens it usually ruins the valve stem in the process. Check the studs and if they are tight and haven't moved just replace the entire rocker assembly, I think they are only about $15 each at NAPA.
thanks for the help/info....much appreciated!

Old 08-10-2018, 09:39 AM
red66rider
Senior User
Originally Posted by TA455HO
You said 3.9 and 4.6L inline 6 engines in your first post. That threw me - I now suspect you are referring to the 240/300 engines. The 240 was never called out as a metric measurement since it was discontinued long before that and the 300 was later referred to as a 4.9L so when you use your own terminology it can be quite confusing to some of us that take what is typed a bit more literally.

You still are not following the shop manual procedures. I cannot recommend enough to you that you buy the shop manuals or if you have them try to read them. They have the exact method of checking the rocker nuts to determine if they are OK or need to be replaced. You wouldn't have to ask so many questions or get some answers that are not complete if you did your own research in the books a little more.

Asking others to be your shop manual or look things up in their manuals for you is OK, but not really necessary if you just buy your own books. I'd make a photocopy or digital copy of mine for you and send them to you but I'd have to tear apart mine to scan them properly.

Chad
sorry for asking a question or two..... if I had the manual I guess I wouldn't need this site then either? thought the point of a forum was fellow car guys to share knowledge when questions were asked or try to shed light on issues that arise for other members of the site.

thanks for the support though!

Old 08-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

sorry for asking a question or two..... if I had the manual I guess I wouldn't need this site then either? thought the point of a forum was fellow car guys to share knowledge when questions were asked or try to shed light on issues that arise for other members of the site.

Actually from some of the questions you've asked. I suspect that even if you had the manual you would still need us from time to time. But that's what we hang out here for. Let us know what you find out about that rocker.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:21 PM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

I know I've personally answered more than a question or two of yours already and that's fine and you are quite welcome. I'm not saying I'd stop helping you or that questions are bad by any stretch. But, I think you'd enjoy the manuals and you could certainly learn a lot from them I believe. I know I do every single day. If you'd rather not bother with them and don't think you'd be able to learn anything new from them then no worries. Just trying to teach a brother to fish...if you are familiar with the old expression!

Cheers!
Chad