Front Drive Shaft - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Front Drive Shaft

Old 08-07-2018, 05:53 PM
Suprawill1
Junior User
Suprawill1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Front Drive Shaft

Hi All,
The U-joint right before the center support bearing is going and is off center. It is causing a hard pulsating vibration. I have to work tomorrow and probably won't find a shop to fix it before then.
My question is, would it hurt anything to just remove the front shaft for now? There's several bolts connecting it to the transfer case and just 2 straps at the u-joint. It would be riding on front wheel drive but does the computer or the transmission care if it's not driving the rear wheels? That only kicks in if the front wheels lose traction which generally only happens in the snow.
Thanks for your thoughts,

Will

Old 08-09-2018, 01:48 AM
Suprawill1
Junior User
Suprawill1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got a reply from Tomw saying he's read about this being done before. I had a shop remove the front shaft. Took all of 10 minutes and charged me $75.
The car is running a lot smoother now. I'll replace the u-joint myself and probably reinstall the shaft. I'll just consider the whole job costing me $75 which is $175 cheaper than if a shop did the whole job.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.