Old used parts - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Old used parts

Old 08-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Dangeruss
Freshman User
Dangeruss is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old used parts

What do you guys do with the old used parts that you have replaced on these trucks? I have springs, drums, bolts, nuts, etc. that are mostly original but in most cases worn out. I know I should just load them up and head to the scrap yard but something just feels wrong about scrapping this stuff. I guess I'm more worried about scrapping something that is rare and not available on the open market. I have a set of front rear spring hangers that I know aren't reproduced anywhere and who knows what other things just end up getting scrapped that someone really needs. Running out of room in my small garage and need to do something!

Old 08-07-2018, 12:19 PM
bigwin56f100
Post Fiend
bigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant future
where are you located?

Old 08-07-2018, 01:58 PM
ranger pat
Posting Guru
ranger pat has a very good reputation on FTE.ranger pat has a very good reputation on FTE.ranger pat has a very good reputation on FTE.
I hauled my old parts to a swap meet and disposed of most of them that were salvageable.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Dangeruss
Freshman User
Dangeruss is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm in Parkersburg, WV. I know some of the stuff is just use up and needed replaced but some of it could possibly be re-used.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:29 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User
1954wrecker is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hear ya - I have a set of Ford Script shocks sitting in my garage. They’re completely shot but I can’t imagine there are too many Ford Script shocks out there.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:10 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 1954wrecker View Post
I hear ya - I have a set of Ford Script shocks sitting in my garage. They’re completely shot but I can’t imagine there are too many Ford Script shocks out there.
Absolutely! Good or bad, some things just make great wall hangers.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:41 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Posting Guru
HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.
i have a 1937 international dash with the gauges and the glass on the gauges is just like new.some guy was throwing it out for garbage.that makes a great wall hanger.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:06 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
What do you guys do with the old used parts that you have replaced on these trucks? I have springs, drums, bolts, nuts, etc. that are mostly original but in most cases worn out. I know I should just load them up and head to the scrap yard but something just feels wrong about scrapping this stuff. I guess I'm more worried about scrapping something that is rare and not available on the open market. I have a set of front rear spring hangers that I know aren't reproduced anywhere and who knows what other things just end up getting scrapped that someone really needs. Running out of room in my small garage and need to do something!
Nuts and bolts I would scrap. Are the drums usable? Springs? I have a pair myself that I'm not sure about.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:14 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
My 54 grille and tailgate are now garage art, in addition to the original steering wheel, V-8 emblem, hood crest, the F-100 emblems, even original brake and clutch pedal pads..... but springs and nuts and bolts don't look cool hanging on the wall, do they!

Old 08-07-2018, 08:42 PM
avf100
Elder User
avf100 is a splendid one to beholdavf100 is a splendid one to beholdavf100 is a splendid one to beholdavf100 is a splendid one to beholdavf100 is a splendid one to beholdavf100 is a splendid one to beholdavf100 is a splendid one to behold
Neither does that ugly old 54 grille.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:17 PM
pineconeford
Posting Guru
pineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant future
Geez Abe,
Your garage looks a whole like like mine.
Stacks of cassette tapes, pieces of used twine, license plates, grill lighter, tomato cages, hood emblems, clipboards, hubcaps and steering wheels. Why I even have the same fluorescent drop light and cordless phone.
But I don't have the fuzzy dice. I knew it was missing something.

Dangeruss.......most of us guys on here have coffee can and jars full of bits and bobs from our trucks. Too worn to use but too special to throw away. Over time I forget where they used to go on the truck.
My parts jars are a compilation of Chevelle, 57 Chevy, 48-52 truck, and heck every daily driver car I've owned for over 30 years. About once a year I dump out the biggest can and root through to find exactly what I was looking for, and that something that can be bought at the big box hardware store - but ain't worth the 70-minute round trip and gas it would cost to go there to get it.

Tom

Old 08-07-2018, 09:20 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by avf100 View Post
Neither does that ugly old 54 grille.
Hey now! Don't you like Swiss cheese like you see on the headlight bucket?

Old 08-07-2018, 09:27 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pineconeford View Post
Geez Abe,
Your garage looks a whole like like mine.
Stacks of cassette tapes, pieces of used twine, license plates, grill lighter, tomato cages, hood emblems, clipboards, hubcaps and steering wheels. Why I even have the same fluorescent drop light and cordless phone.
But I don't have the fuzzy dice. I knew it was missing something.

Dangeruss.......most of us guys on here have coffee can and jars full of bits and bobs from our trucks. Too worn to use but too special to throw away. Over time I forget where they used to go on the truck.
My parts jars are a compilation of Chevelle, 57 Chevy, 48-52 truck, and heck every daily driver car I've owned for over 30 years. About once a year I dump out the biggest can and root through to find exactly what I was looking for, and that something that can be bought at the big box hardware store - but ain't worth the 70-minute round trip and gas it would cost to go there to get it.

Tom
Tom, in about 5 weeks you can see it in person! But those are old pictures. The tomato cages are gone, the big picture of the 55 Chevy is gone. The smaller pic is the 55 I owned from 1978 to 1984. And I cleaned the workbench off a few weeks ago!

Old 08-07-2018, 10:14 PM
firstrider
Postmaster
firstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to behold
Parts Safari with Firstride
I'm his brother

Old 08-08-2018, 10:29 AM
ReForder
Elder User
ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.
For parts that aren't being reproduced anymore, could you reach out to our parts suppliers to see if they want them for re-tooling? Maybe they can be convinced take them off your hands (for free) so they can start making the part again? Just an idea. I did that with some old Volvo PV444 parts. Don't know what ever came of it, but I couldn't bring myself to throw them out.

For old springs, maybe a local high school or tech school that teaches welding or forging would want them? It's good steel to practice on. Again, I'd offer it, not sell it.

The rest of it, just scrap for some coin. Gets recycled, clears out your garage, and you'll forget about it a few days after it's gone. I finally had to do this. Called a local scrap metal guy to come get all of it and haven't lost sleep over it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.