1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1981 E 100 With a 4.9L Straight Six

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 06:00 PM
ImYourWitchDoctor
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 E 100 With a 4.9L Straight Six

Hello all,
brand new member here, so I'm still getting used to the lay of the land.
Anyway, I bought an E-100 with 4.9L Straight Six engine in it about a year ago, and it is definitely a fixer upper. Smog components were missing, and there were many other problems with it...too many to remember and mention here. The latest issue is that I'm getting zero compression out of the second cylinder. I'm just wondering what the options are in order to repair this. I'd say the van itself runs pretty well, but my gas economy is horrible, and there is a fume smell that comes into the van as I'm driving it. I'm thinking the next step in this would have to be to do a complete rebuild of the engine, head and block. It doesn't look like there has been much done to the van since it rolled off the assembly line in 1981, so I'm thinking that maybe a rebuild would be good. It's got 269,405 miles on it. It's got zero smog components on it, so I either have to fix this issue, or find myself someone who knows how to hot smog vehicles, but I'd rather avoid that altogether. Is this project worth tackling, or should I just avoid a headache and get rid of the van altogether? I'm in the process of being able to lean one way or another, and I'm trying to decide what it is I should do. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this. Also, I couldn't find one, but is there a thread that's specifically aimed towards the 1981 E 100? Or should I just look into the specs of the engine and follow that thread?

Old 08-06-2018, 09:23 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There are a couple ways to figure out why there is no compression on cylinder # 2. First is to get an air chuck adapter that will let you hook up a hose from a air compressor into the spark plug hole on the cylinder head. Then get the # 2 cylinder on TDC hook up the air hose. Then try to listen and hear where you hear/feel the air coming from. If it's coming out the carb you've got an issue with the intake valve. If it's coming out the exhaust then there is a problem with the exhaust valve. If you remove the valve cover breather and it's coming out of there it's a piston or ring issue. If you pull the radiator cap and you've got bubbling or air then it's either blown head gasket or cracked cylinder block or head. The other way is to just tear the engine down and visually inspect it.

With your mileage on the van it really depends on how much you want to spend to fix the engine issue. You can either to a complete rebuild on what you've got, pick up a reman'd long block from a parts store or find a good running used engine. The used engine would be the cheapest. But you would either want to get one from a trusted salvage yard that check them over good before they pull them and offer a warranty. Or buy one from a third party that will let you hear it run and check it over before you buy it. The full rebuild would be the best option but it will also be the most expensive. I don't like the parts store reman'd engines. Because most of those rebuilders will reuse marginal parts to save money. Will it run? Sure but it probably won't last anywhere near as long as the original did. A lot depends on your budget, mechanical experience ( including what tools and work space you've got ) and finally what you want out of the van.

Once you get the engine running right then you'll have to find out what you will need to pass inspection. I don't have testing in my area. You'll need to find out what's required to pass visual inspection and hunt down those parts and install them.

None of us can tell you whether you should keep your van or not. It's your van so you've got to decide that on your own. But if you haven't even started on it yet and you are already questioning it. That's not a real good sign. Some guys/gals on this forum will tell you to get rid of it simply because it's old. Then there are others like me that love the old vans. What condition is the van in? What's it got for a transmission? Is it a manual or a automatic? What are you trying to do with it? Is it your daily driver? weekend cruiser? camper? etc.

You won't find a specific thread that just cover 81 E100's here. But you are in the van forum now. So if you have other questions just post a thread and ask them. There are enough of us here with third gen. Econoline experience/knowledge that we should be able to help you figure things out. If you have engine questions post them on the inline 6 forum here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum52/ .

Old 08-07-2018, 07:10 AM
wirelessengineer
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow.

It's not often you see a post that is as comprehensive as Ted's. He's covered it!

I'll second his comment about reman engines. You really don't know what you are getting. In my book, a far better option is to find a local rebuilder, if you can't do it yourself. The NAPA and Carquest counter guys will often know who is good in your area. They deal with them. Autozone and the other chains, no. They are just people who got hired at a retail store that happens to sell auto parts. They are usually not car people, and the local shops don't buy from them, typically.

On the fumes, that couild be a simple as an exhaust system leak, and/or a problem with the doghouse seals letting gasses into the passenger compartment.