Remanufactured 5.4L 3V Engine oil questions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Reload this Page >

Remanufactured 5.4L 3V Engine oil questions

Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

Old 08-05-2018, 03:21 PM
3Prcntr
New User
3Prcntr is starting off with a positive reputation.

I just bought a 2006 F150 with the 5.4l and due to the notorious issues I ended up getting a remanufactured engine. I am curious what engine oil is best for these picky beasts. I honestly want to use Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend, but am curious about a couple things. First, I live in NW Montana, where the winters get well below 30 degrees for most the year. would the oil I want to use be the best option for the 5.4l? Lastly, during the summer months (it pretty much goes from winter to summer here) it can get in the 90's +, so I want to keep a year round oil. I am more concerned about the oil making it to the top of the engine during winter. The one I just replaced with the reman had 130k and every issue you can think of with the 5.4l that are possible, so I opted to start fresh. I also replaced the entire exhaust because the cat was pure junk. So everything from the engine to the exhaust is brand new. I even went so far as to replace every single fluid (including f&r dif's), got a new PS pump, alternator, new radiator, new brakes/rotors/rims/tires/steering & suspension incl a level for the front. It's basically been rebuilt without replacing any electrical (fingers crossed) so I just want to get the most life out of it so I can focus on the rest of the truck (body and interior) now. This thing needs some TLC and some bedliner ASAP. I spent A LOT doing this, but am still very skeptical about the engine oil. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks.

I also posted my truck in the picture section with a little detail about future/current upgrades.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 PM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.
5 w 20 is the correct oil. MOTOCRAFT SEMI SYNTHETIC is a excellent choice. Go with the MOTOCRAFT filter also... the "5" means the oil has a viscosity similar to 5 weight oil for easy winter startups ... the 20 is 20 w viscosity when hot ( summer or properly warmed up motor) which is what the motor clearances are designed for... an excellent choice.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:33 PM
1saxman
Posting Guru
1saxman has a good reputation on FTE.1saxman has a good reputation on FTE.1saxman has a good reputation on FTE.
I agree with that but I know it gets a heluva lot colder there than 30F - like maybe -30F once or twice a year. I would consider running 0W-20 synthetic from October to March then 5W-20 for the milder half of the year. This is assuming the truck sits outside at night or in an unheated garage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.