Anyone swapped out the OEM TBC and replaced it with an afterket brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 09:16 PM
imq707s
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Anyone swapped out the OEM TBC and replaced it with an afterket brake controller?

When the factory TBC on my 05' F250 is working correctly...it's great. The problem is that more times that not, depending on what trailer it's hooked up to.....it can be really sketchy. Sometimes I can tow my camper, and everything works great...other times it will randomly flash "trailer disconnected" on the dash while I'm towing. Same goes for my utility trailer, and my boat trailer. All three trailers have no issues when I had my Dodge with an aftermarket trailer brake controller, but this OEM controller in my F250 seems like it's just way to finicky. I've replaced the plugs, checked the wiring. ohmed everything out with a multi meter, wiggled wires around while measuring volts and ohms.......pretty much everything except from replacing the entire TBC unit (which is pricey). I also hate the fact that I can't give any power to the trailer brakes (even if I operate them with the manual lever) until I'm going over 5mph......and it won't give full power to the brakes until I'm going over 20mph. The thing is just way to complicated......I just want something that works....all the time, every time.

At this point...I'm thinking about just pulling the factory TBC out of the dash and trying to retrofit an aftermarket unit to fit in the same space...and then just wire it up. Has anyone else done this? Any suggestions for what aftermarket brake control migth fit in place of the factory TBC?

Thanks!!

Old 08-05-2018, 06:54 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by imq707s
When the factory TBC on my 05' F250 is working correctly...it's great. The problem is that more times that not, depending on what trailer it's hooked up to.....it can be really sketchy. Sometimes I can tow my camper, and everything works great...other times it will randomly flash "trailer disconnected" on the dash while I'm towing. Same goes for my utility trailer, and my boat trailer. All three trailers have no issues when I had my Dodge with an aftermarket trailer brake controller, but this OEM controller in my F250 seems like it's just way to finicky. I've replaced the plugs, checked the wiring. ohmed everything out with a multi meter, wiggled wires around while measuring volts and ohms.......pretty much everything except from replacing the entire TBC unit (which is pricey). I also hate the fact that I can't give any power to the trailer brakes (even if I operate them with the manual lever) until I'm going over 5mph......and it won't give full power to the brakes until I'm going over 20mph. The thing is just way to complicated......I just want something that works....all the time, every time.

At this point...I'm thinking about just pulling the factory TBC out of the dash and trying to retrofit an aftermarket unit to fit in the same space...and then just wire it up. Has anyone else done this? Any suggestions for what aftermarket brake control migth fit in place of the factory TBC?

Thanks!!

Read the thread directly before yours for a report on a change to a P3 controller.