F350 SRW CC - Cargo Capacity #3063 & #3090 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

F350 SRW CC - Cargo Capacity #3063 & #3090

Notices

Old 08-04-2018, 08:55 PM
rtraviator
New User
rtraviator is starting off with a positive reputation.

Dealer had several F350s in various trim levels all 4x4, LB, SRW, 11,500 GVWR. Greatest cargo capacity was #3090. This will be my daily driver so I would like some of the comfort options, which are obviously restricting cargo capacity. We had hoped for a Solitude 310, I need a check on math,

Grand Design Solitude 310 - UVW 12,100
Hitch 2,350
GVWR 15,000

Looks like I need a cargo capacity of ~ 3,800 for the GD 310

Alternate - Grand Design Reflection 337 - UVW 10,570
Hitch 2090
GVRW 13,995

Looks like I need a cargo capacity of ~ 3,400 for the GD 337

Old 08-04-2018, 09:42 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Most 15k fifth wheel trailers will be over a nicely loaded 6.7 4x4 crew SRW's payload rating. This is especially true if you have passengers.

Sadly, the SRW Ram, with its 800 higher GVWR, can haul these and be under their payload rating. The Ford is a much better truck overall though.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:24 PM
mrgrayaz
Senior User
mrgrayaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Our XLT Premium 6.7 CC SRW FX4 is at 3702lbs CC per the sticker. Just depends on the options. Your choice. Do you want the sunroof and massaging seats...and DRW.....? or "Just" heated cloth and SRW?

Old 08-04-2018, 10:28 PM
Army RET
Elder User
Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.
Door stickers on my dually F350 (Lariet).
Selecting the 14K GVWR option provides 5353 pounds of cargo.
Using an Anderson hitch eats up 40 pounds.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:18 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Figure 20% of the trailers GVW for the hitch weight. That is likely where it will be. A lot of times they will list the dry hitch weight, not close to what you will encounter.
For the trucks that you are looking at, they will do the job.

Key numbers are the axle ratings and tire ratings. Don't exceed those. But in order to know what is available you will have to put the truck on the scales.

Then you know what you are working with.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:18 PM
slapshot12
Senior User
slapshot12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 350 SRW has 3477 lbs and it's a loaded Lariat, CC, 6.7, 4wd. The advertised hitch weight is almost always lower than it actually will be. My 349's pin weight was about 150 lbs more.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:53 AM
xrated
Senior User
xrated is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why start out with a truck that you are going to be at or over the payload capacity with just the trailer pin weight? And that is BEFORE you add a 5ver hitch, driver and passenger(s) weight, tools and tool box, firewood, grill, bicycles, ......anything and everything that goes in or on the truck. Some guys like Senix will tell you that the important thing is to not exceed the axle and tire ratings and not worry so much about the payload capacity.....I've disagreed with that theory before, and I still do. In my opinion, and the opinion of many others, none of the weight capacities should be overloaded....including the payload. We'll just have to agree to disagree about that, but in all fairness, you need to hear the other side of the story too, and that is that Ford recommends that you never exceed ANY of the payload capacities of the truck.

So, with those two trailers in mind, the way i see it, you have a choice, actually, several choices.
1. Buy a SRW 1 Ton that is loaded up and has a reduced payload capacity.
2. Find a SRW 1 Ton that is somewhat a more basic truck and a higher (maybe several hundred pounds worth) payload capacity that might just barely keep you from exceeding payload capacity.
3. Find a Dually that is as basic or as loaded up as you want and be well within the payload capacity of most fifth wheel trailers out there.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:57 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Alternatively speaking.....some good thoughts there!

Old 08-08-2018, 04:48 PM
rtraviator
New User
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Why start out with a truck that you are going to be at or over the payload capacity
I guess you missed the part where I said I need a check on math. Iím a helicopter pilot, I know the difference between cautions, warnings and notes. My helicopter has a maximum gross weight of 2910kg, I operate it everyday at 2910 kgs, not 2911 kgs because bad things, like death can happen. Ford recommends not exceeding any payload/towing figures but operating a vehicle up to its maximum towing capacity is what itís built for. I surely donít want to operate it in the red and where your comfort level may be, may be different than the next.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:12 PM
xrated
Senior User
xrated is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, since I failed at reading your mind about your chosen profession and your willingness to be up to and including the the final pound or kg of capacity..........your numbers look perfect to me. Maybe someone else can give you a hand with this......I have no idea about how you came up with your "need" numbers.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:52 PM
stangtime
Freshman User
stangtime is starting off with a positive reputation.
Depending on how often you will be towing, another thing to keep in mind is that towing near the limits of the truck also wear the tires out much faster. I am currently towing a 16K toy hauler with a 2016 F-350 Lariat SRW (over payload until my F-450 arrives) and it is eating through the tires. You will also probably need air bags or Timbren's when approaching max payload, otherwise you will be banging on the overload springs which is not a pleasant ride. I have Timbren's on my current truck and it really helps with ride quality, but upgrading for safety reasons. The F-450 will also be my daily driver, but parking a little further out to have the safety and comfort of a dually is well worth it to me. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Flyct
Senior User
Flyct is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rtraviator View Post
Dealer had several F350s in various trim levels all 4x4, LB, SRW, 11,500 GVWR. Greatest cargo capacity was #3090. This will be my daily driver so I would like some of the comfort options, which are obviously restricting cargo capacity. We had hoped for a Solitude 310, I need a check on math,

Grand Design Solitude 310 - UVW 12,100
Hitch 2,350
GVWR 15,000

Looks like I need a cargo capacity of ~ 3,800 for the GD 310

Alternate - Grand Design Reflection 337 - UVW 10,570
Hitch 2090
GVRW 13,995

Looks like I need a cargo capacity of ~ 3,400 for the GD 337
Truck payload sticker includes full fuel.

My 337RLS empty pin weight as delivered from factory was 2220lbs. That does not include the 2 full propane tanks and dealer installed battery. The real loaded pin weight ready to camp is 2800 lbs.

My 2017 Lariat Short Bed F350 has a payload of exactly 3500 lbs.

So;
2800 lbs pin weight
50 lb Andersen Hitch
400 lbs pilot and passenger
25 lb dog
25 lb parrot and cage in back seat
75 lbs BakFlip cover
50 lbs misc stuff in trucks back seat and truck bed.

We are right at 3,500 lbs. Fortunatly I don’t need to worry about CG when doing a W&B

Old 08-11-2018, 12:29 PM
rtraviator
New User
Originally Posted by Flyct View Post
Fortunatly I donít need to worry about CG when doing a W&B
Best response yet, I got a good laugh! Think Iím headed for a set-up very close to yours. Any issue with the short bed with the 5er getting close to the cab?

Thanks,
Tony

Old 08-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Flyct
Senior User
Flyct is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rtraviator View Post

Best response yet, I got a good laugh! Think Iím headed for a set-up very close to yours. Any issue with the short bed with the 5er getting close to the cab?

Thanks,
Tony
Tony,

i have an Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Hitch with the hitch coupler in the alternate (reverse) position. This moves the trailer closer to the truck but gives clearance so that the pin box doesnít hit the bed rails. The only down side is that when backing up to hitch with the tailgate down you need to come in straight. The distance from the tailgate to the trailer is only about 5Ē with tailgate down.

I can get about 70-75 degrees turn before thereís a chance of trailer cap contacting the truck back window.

I like the F350/337RLS combination so well I ordered a replacement truck, 2019 F350 CCSB. I ordered to get options I am missing on my 2017 F350. I wanted BLIS, Adaptive Cruise, Quad Beam LED headlights, Tow Technology pkg.

i avoid tight turns when backing up after after seeing the stress on the axles and wheels. See picture below.

Pictures are the max I can get when backing up before cap comes in contact with cab.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:54 PM
rtraviator
New User
Thanks for the photos looks like the cab gets pretty darn close. The torque and torsion on the tires is incredible, hopefully the tires are taking the brunt of this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.