1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Please help f150 302 efi running rough/hard start/no start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 07:41 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy Anderson
Things ive done today
I have advanced the timing truck craps out and dies.
I reseted the computer today to see if what codes i get when it retested.

i got.

i have notice after i crank the truck and i hit my signal switch it doesnt blink. I dont think that could be related to my problem.

funny how you went from no codes to mit fulls of them.

12 is Connont control rpm High. (ISC ?)
21 is the coolant temp sensor, if the engine was no up to Op temp when the test was done it would trigger this it it was then the ECT is bad
33 is the EGR not opening.
41 is lean on right bank.

First Thing you need to do is function test the ISC.

And have you set the base timing to the factory specs ?

Old 08-07-2018, 08:27 PM
Billy Anderson
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today i ran the truck 2x.
i turn the idle screw all the way up and it idle on its own but it barely revs anf it only goes to 1000 to 9000 rpm.

the second time i ran a scanner on it and it threw

i also found to unpluged connectors under my dash idk if there important or not.

i notice now that when i crank my truck the tach doesnt move and when it starts and dies theres no tach movement.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:12 PM
Billy Anderson
Junior User
Connector 1

Old 08-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Billy Anderson
Junior User
Connector 2

Old 08-07-2018, 09:19 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Today i ran the truck 2x.
i turn the idle screw all the way up and it idle on its own but it barely revs anf it only goes to 1000 to 9000 rpm.

the second time i ran a scanner on it and it threw

i also found to unpluged connectors under my dash idk if there important or not.

i notice now that when i crank my truck the tach doesnt move and when it starts and dies theres no tach movement.

Again have you set the base timing to factory specs?

Old 08-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Billy Anderson
Junior User

This is how i got my distributor turn right now but i see. Some online that its turn alittle farther then that.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:24 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend

This is how i got my distributor turn right now but i see. Some online that its turn alittle farther then that.

Ok this is not a complicated question. Have you the set base timing. The answer is either yes or no. A picture is nice but it does not answer the question. I suggest if you actually want to fix this thing you start answering the queries posed to you. And if you do not know how to do something or are unsure then say so. But none us here are going to waste our time playing 20 question with someone that will not provide the required information to fix the problem. .

Old 08-08-2018, 04:05 PM
Billy Anderson
Junior User
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
Ok this is not a complicated question. Have you the set base timing. The answer is either yes or no. A picture is nice but it does not answer the question. I suggest if you actually want to fix this thing you start answering the queries posed to you. And if you do not know how to do something or are unsure then say so. But none us here are going to waste our time playing 20 question with someone that will not provide the required information to fix the problem. .
at this point Matthew i dont want your help i been over timing with you 3 to 4x now and if you obviously didnt read what i said then your no help .arguing with me doesnt help me at all and dont want to be insulted for trying to explain the best i can.

im not here to be rude to anyone but i don't want more stress on what i got now.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:43 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
at this point Matthew i dont want your help i been over timing with you 3 to 4x now and if you obviously didnt read what i said then your no help .arguing with me doesnt help me at all and dont want to be insulted for trying to explain the best i can.

im not here to be rude to anyone but i don't want more stress on what i got now.
Well if you are not going to follow the steps to resolve this you are not going to fix it. Still no answer if you have set the best timing to factory specs. Obviously you can not solve this on your own and if you not going to provide the information required for others to help you fix it, then you are NOT going to be able to fix it.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Billy Anderson
Junior User
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
Well if you are not going to follow the steps to resolve this you are not going to fix it. Still no answer if you have set the best timing to factory specs. Obviously you can not solve this on your own and if you not going to provide the information required for others to help you fix it, then you are NOT going to be able to fix it.
I guess you cant read.
Timing is set at 10 btdc. If already explained to you timing it further makes its worse. Im done dealing with you if your going to be a jerk about it, your NOT better than anyone else on here and you was in the same postion you wouldnt be able to fix it either.

I have done every step you told me and came back with the result and what you do is tell me to do it over again like im dumb. At least show me some respect i treated you nice i at least show the same respect back.....

Old 08-08-2018, 05:29 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
The way I see it if you want to go by pictures on the internet on how the dist. should be turned and not take matt's help go for it.
We all know pictures on the internet are always right!

What if someone pulled your dist. out and when they put it back in got it off 1 tooth? The dist. would not be in the same place as pictures but if timed right would run good.
What if they got it 180* off? Number 1 plug would not be in the same place as pictures & books but it would still run if the timing was set right.

There are steps that need to be followed and why matt has asked you to check / set the timing as per factory way.
Good luck
Dave ----

Old 08-08-2018, 05:41 PM
Billy Anderson
Junior User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
The way I see it if you want to go by pictures on the internet on how the dist. should be turned and not take matt's help go for it.
We all know pictures on the internet are always right!

What if someone pulled your dist. out and when they put it back in got it off 1 tooth? The dist. would not be in the same place as pictures but if timed right would run good.
What if they got it 180* off? Number 1 plug would not be in the same place as pictures & books but it would still run if the timing was set right.

There are steps that need to be followed and why matt has asked you to check / set the timing as per factory way.
Good luck
Dave ----
thanks dave i appreciate that awnser from what i see its set near the 10 mark and i did have it running awhile go on its own power but after the tfi went out on its been weird
i dont know if i threw it off after that or what but i bought a new tfi 4 weeks ago and i shorted it out on accident. Then i replace it with another one it did the same thing but was weirdl is the one i had before let me revv it up to 2000 rpm but slow and after i got the new one on it never acted like its self so idk if its 2 far for it to run or something making it shut down because it seem like it wants to run because starts everytime but shut down immediately

Old 08-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Billy Anderson
Junior User
But like i said before i cant verify its at 10 still since i replaced the module a few times. So. Ill have to catch my neighbor and borrow his gun and time it again.

i

Old 08-08-2018, 06:56 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
But like i said before i cant verify its at 10 still since i replaced the module a few times. So. Ill have to catch my neighbor and borrow his gun and time it again.

i
I don't know if changing the TFI would change the timing or not but it is best to check it again when you can borrow the gun again.
IIRC when you do the timing check you have to do something with the sprot just don't forget it.

When you have it checked and set may want to pull codes again and check back with us.
Dave ----

Old 08-08-2018, 09:12 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Is this a cut/broken wire?

Quick Reply: Please help f150 302 efi running rough/hard start/no start when hot