73’ Front Caliper help - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

73’ Front Caliper help

Old 08-03-2018, 04:54 PM
cjbronco
Senior User
cjbronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
73’ Front Caliper help

So I have started to disassembly the front end on my 1973 CAMPER SPECIAL. Plan is replace bushings, new calipers, rotors, bearing etc.

I have dual piston caliper that i am trying to remove. There is an upper and lower “guide bolt” that needs to be removed in order to remove the caliper. I have been beating away at these things for a few hours now. See pic below. They are still no out yet. An suggestions to finish this side and for when i start the other side? Thanks

Old 08-03-2018, 06:17 PM
Mech Anon
Senior User
Mech Anon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hit it with your purse. Hah jk. It probably got lobed from being in there forever. Aside from the obvious (pentrating oil) Can you get a baby pipe wrench or a fat vise grip on there and twist it at all? Try clocking it 90 degrees and then go at it again. Looks like a ball joint separator might be handy too. You could try heating up the caliper a bit. Not the pin though unless you have a replacement. But that won't help if the bolt is lobed and it's hanging up on a shoulder now.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:42 AM
cjbronco
Senior User
I will try getting my biggest vice grip and turning it (i beat up my channel locks pretty good yesterday trying to turn the head of the bolt). At this point i already ordered a new set for each side so I am not worried about salvaging them or the caliper. It’s all getting replaced.

May run and grab a torch to heat up and try that later.......

Old 08-04-2018, 01:10 PM
HoustonDave
Elder User
HoustonDave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to remove the head... try using a 1/4" pin pinch to drive it through. While you are rounding that stuff up, let it soak in PB blaster.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:16 AM
cjbronco
Senior User
Happy to report that with some additional PB Blaster and some heat ( a few curse words and a BFH) I got the two guide bolts removed and the caliper off.

moving onto replacing the bushings, springs and shocks. Will posts some pics of the progress after getting home from the beach.

thanks again

Old 08-11-2018, 03:20 AM
58limited
Freshman User
58limited is starting off with a positive reputation.
Glad you got the pins out. I ended up using one of my 1/4" drive sockets of a similar external diameter to drive one of the pins out (ruined the socket), then used that pin to help drive the others. I ended up replacing the brackets as well as the calipers - everything was pretty corroded.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:15 PM
cjbronco
Senior User
I spent way too much time trying to remove them, but after being unfit 45 years they clearly didn’t want to leave. Heat, beat (with a drive punch), and repeat.

now I have posted a question about the replacement front coil springs I have ( can’t get the top retainer lined up) and I hope to have it all put back together shortly.

All new axle pivot bushing and radius arm bushings are in!

Old 08-12-2018, 02:07 AM
1TonBasecamp
Posting Guru
1TonBasecamp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Progress at least!
And it looks like those pads were ready for retirement. Doing all this work just in time then, and should make it feel great on the road.

Paul

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.