1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Anybody have a 2wd F150 with front and rear swaybars

Old 08-04-2018, 03:53 AM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
Yes rear E Series. The font is different (It is a better set up honestly). Front sway bars are pretty easy to find it;s the rears that are tough.
I was reading that front swaybars started becoming more common on the later 87-up trucks, and at some point, maybe 1992? they started showing up on the fronts of all the trucks. I didn't check the bar diameters but will do that today.

And yes Matt, I'll be going with all new links and bar bushings. Looks like everything is still available. I've found some other threads on here where guys have swapped in factory swaybars on 2wd shortbox trucks and said it was a huge improvement. My suspension is good, but the truck has noticeable body roll that should be cured with the bars.

The only thing so far that I've noticed is different are the front coil spring seats where the end links attach. The spring seats on my truck are noticeably taller, so I may have to install a spacer in there if I want to keep it the same, and that's not the end of the world.

Dave, you were asking about the later swaybars fitting the earlier Bullnose trucks. I did find a thread on here where a guy installed a set of swaybars from a 1995 on a 1981 or 1982 F100.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-f150-2wd.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...n-82-f100.html

The only thing I would check on is the fitment of the 8.8 rear bar on the 9" rear end if that is what you have. The guy I bought these from said the 8.8 brackets will fit on the 9", but I did read on here somewhere that they do not. The 8.8 axle tube brackets have a little hole that lines up with a tab cast into the 8.8 pumpkin. Apparently the 9" axle tube brackets do not have this. Not sure what difference it makes, if any.

I'd think that finding a rear bar for an 8.8 would be much easier than finding one for a 9", but I could be wrong. Check the threads linked above.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:37 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Rembrant
I was reading that front swaybars started becoming more common on the later 87-up trucks, and at some point, maybe 1992? they started showing up on the fronts of all the trucks. I didn't check the bar diameters but will do that today.

And yes Matt, I'll be going with all new links and bar bushings. Looks like everything is still available. I've found some other threads on here where guys have swapped in factory swaybars on 2wd shortbox trucks and said it was a huge improvement. My suspension is good, but the truck has noticeable body roll that should be cured with the bars.

The only thing so far that I've noticed is different are the front coil spring seats where the end links attach. The spring seats on my truck are noticeably taller, so I may have to install a spacer in there if I want to keep it the same, and that's not the end of the world.

Dave, you were asking about the later swaybars fitting the earlier Bullnose trucks. I did find a thread on here where a guy installed a set of swaybars from a 1995 on a 1981 or 1982 F100.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-f150-2wd.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...n-82-f100.html

The only thing I would check on is the fitment of the 8.8 rear bar on the 9" rear end if that is what you have. The guy I bought these from said the 8.8 brackets will fit on the 9", but I did read on here somewhere that they do not. The 8.8 axle tube brackets have a little hole that lines up with a tab cast into the 8.8 pumpkin. Apparently the 9" axle tube brackets do not have this. Not sure what difference it makes, if any.

I'd think that finding a rear bar for an 8.8 would be much easier than finding one for a 9", but I could be wrong. Check the threads linked above.
The sway bars will make a huge difference in cornering but will increase ride harshness a bit so be forewarned on that. But your truck is probably sprung pretty soft as it is.
Balancing sway bars between front and rear can be a bit of balancing act.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:43 AM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
The sway bars will make a huge difference in cornering but will increase ride harshness a bit so be forewarned on that. But your truck is probably sprung pretty soft as it is.
I don't mind that trade-off. I can handle a little more harshness. The suspension is really soft as it is. The truck is quite nice to drive...feels like it has pillows for suspension, but it just rolls a bit too much for my liking. On straight roads or on the highway, it's a non-issue, but driving on the twisty roads where a live, it wants to roll in the turns.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:39 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,779 Posts
I know the 9" in the truck has 2 tabs (maybe 1" round) on either side of the center section on the front of the tubes that I think someone said was for the sway bar.
The only thing I might see why the brackets would not fit is the dia of the tubes between the 8.8 & 9"

BTW an easy way to measure bar dia is to use an open end wrench. If a 7/8" will not fit but a 1" will you have a 1" dia bar.
Thanks for the information guys if I ever get out to a PAP I will have to check on front & rear sway bars.
Dave ----

Old 08-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
BTW an easy way to measure bar dia is to use an open end wrench. If a 7/8" will not fit but a 1" will you have a 1" dia bar.
Thanks for the information guys if I ever get out to a PAP I will have to check on front & rear sway bars.
Dave ----
The measurement is no problem, I have a digital caliper and we have several sets of calipers and mic's at work (where the parts are).

I was cleaning them up this morning and trying to ID what years my "new" scavenged parts are, and I've come up with the following:

The crossmember with the cut-off swaybar in it still had the original Ford bushings in it.
The number on the side of them was E0TA-5484-DB, so I guess that confirms 1980-up equipment.

The complete crossmember with spring pads still had the Ford coil spring isolator pads intact.
The number on them was E8TA-5414-EA, so I guess that confirms 1988 or newer.

The rear swaybar still had the original bushings intact, and the number on them was D2TA-4A037-AA, so that confirms 1992 or newer.

By the way, in looking online again, it seems that all of the bushings and end links are still readily available, except the rear bar to axle bushings...looks like they're not as common or NLA. I haven't looked too hard for them yet, but will dig into them later on.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:14 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
The measurement is no problem, I have a digital caliper and we have several sets of calipers and mic's at work (where the parts are).

I was cleaning them up this morning and trying to ID what years my "new" scavenged parts are, and I've come up with the following:

The crossmember with the cut-off swaybar in it still had the original Ford bushings in it.
The number on the side of them was E0TA-5484-DB, so I guess that confirms 1980-up equipment.

The complete crossmember with spring pads still had the Ford coil spring isolator pads intact.
The number on them was E8TA-5414-EA, so I guess that confirms 1988 or newer.

The rear swaybar still had the original bushings intact, and the number on them was D2TA-4A037-AA, so that confirms 1992 or newer.

By the way, in looking online again, it seems that all of the bushings and end links are still readily available, except the rear bar to axle bushings...looks like they're not as common or NLA. I haven't looked too hard for them yet, but will dig into them later on.
D2 would be 1972 So looks like they were a recycled part

If the rear bar bushings are the short guys there will be lots of substitutes available just us know the bar diameter and I can source out stand in's

Old 08-04-2018, 04:09 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
So it looks like anything from 1980 on up to maybe mid 1990 would work as long as it is 4x2 parts for a 4x2 truck.

Now the links I went thru said the rear bar would not inter change but I think it was because what ever he was installing it on did not have the tabs (if that's what you want to call them) were not on one of the axles.
So I am thinking of what you are going to install the rear bar on has the 2 tabs you "maybe" ok.
Dave ----

Old 08-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
D2 would be 1972 So looks like they were a recycled part
Wasn't so good at working the alphabet there was I? I had 1990's in my head when I looked at that number, and went off in the wrong direction from the 1980's.
The rear bushings are the short guys, and I'm pretty sure the bar is 7/8", but I didn't measure it (I forgot to). The front bar is 7/8", I did measure that one. I will measure 'em tomorrow morning when I do my coffee run.

So it looks like anything from 1980 on up to maybe mid 1990 would work as long as it is 4x2 parts for a 4x2 truck.

Now the links I went thru said the rear bar would not inter change but I think it was because what ever he was installing it on did not have the tabs (if that's what you want to call them) were not on one of the axles.
So I am thinking of what you are going to install the rear bar on has the 2 tabs you "maybe" ok.
Dave ----
I'll test fit the brackets on mine shortly and let you know. The 8.8 has the tabs (mine does at least) and I thought that the 9" did not (I can't confirm as I don't have a 9").

I'm quite anxious to get these things installed, but between sand blasting and paint, and waiting for new bushings and end links, it will be a little while.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:48 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
I know the 9" in my truck has the tabs and I think the parts truck one did also but would have to check.

In one of the links he said it did not have the tabs on the 9" axle and why I think the bar brackets would not fit.
I would guess the 9" he had was a earlier one and they may not of come with the tabs.
I will have to measure the dia. of the tabs, center to center of the tabs & center of each tab to the center of the pinion to see how they match up to the 8.8 axle.
Dave ----

Old 08-04-2018, 06:46 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Wasn't so good at working the alphabet there was I? I had 1990's in my head when I looked at that number, and went off in the wrong direction from the 1980's.
The rear bushings are the short guys, and I'm pretty sure the bar is 7/8", but I didn't measure it (I forgot to). The front bar is 7/8", I did measure that one. I will measure 'em tomorrow morning when I do my coffee run.

I'll test fit the brackets on mine shortly and let you know. The 8.8 has the tabs (mine does at least) and I thought that the 9" did not (I can't confirm as I don't have a 9").

I'm quite anxious to get these things installed, but between sand blasting and paint, and waiting for new bushings and end links, it will be a little while.
A 7/8" bar is the smallest you can get for the front. It looks like that sway bar was used from 1980 to 1997 on the F150 (to 96) F250 F350. This presents some opportunities to find a larger bar.
7/8" is fine for the rear on your truck. But the front should be at least 1" with a 7/8" rear bar. Especially since this is a truck with a light rear end. The 7/8" front bar would have been used without a rear sway bar. You may want to consider finding a larger bar for the front.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:46 PM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
A 7/8" bar is the smallest you can get for the front. It looks like that sway bar was used from 1980 to 1997 on the F150 (to 96) F250 F350. This presents some opportunities to find a larger bar.
7/8" is fine for the rear on your truck. But the front should be at least 1" with a 7/8" rear bar. Especially since this is a truck with a light rear end. The 7/8" front bar would have been used without a rear sway bar. You may want to consider finding a larger bar for the front.
Ahh, OK, point taken. I was scrounging for parts as it was, and grabbed these without putting a ton of research into what combinations will work best.

I did come across an aftermarket 1" bar for the front the other day, but it's way more money than I wanted to spend...of course...lol.

EDIT: It was 1 1/8" bar...

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...ducts_id=23411

Old 08-04-2018, 08:54 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Ahh, OK, point taken. I was scrounging for parts as it was, and grabbed these without putting a ton of research into what combinations will work best.

I did come across an aftermarket 1" bar for the front the other day, but it's way more money than I wanted to spend...of course...lol.

EDIT: It was 1 1/8" bar...

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23411
Ya that is pricey considering you could find one at one of the u pull it yards for like $25

You just want one bigger than the rear. Years ago I played with sway bars went through about 2 dozen combinations changing spring and the bar sizes front and back to see the real world effects I know the chassis engineering theory behind it but actually doing it gives ya much better understanding. I messed with this on a panther chassis pre watts linkage which was ideal as they had piles of available sway bars and springs As the bars and springs from 79 up would fit. From the PI package to the wagain trailer tow to wimpy base bars and springs and everything in between.. When you oversize the rear bar things get interesting to say the least in the corners. I ended up with the post 92 PI package bars and pre 92 PI front springs with trailer tow wagon rear springs kept the cars stance level and it handled like it was on rails with just hint of understeer at the limit. I could keep up to most japanese and german sports cars in the twisties.
I found you can go a big as you want in the front but there is limit with the rear if you match or over size the rear bar or hilarity will ensue. It is really weird going around a corner and having the rear end stay planted and track the corner and then have the front end slip to the inside of the corner. It makes recovery interesting to say the least. Cause as soon as you back off the throttle the front end digs in and the *** end takes off. So ya I think it might be best to up size the front bar just from experience.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:19 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Most sway bar sets, front & rear, IIRC were 1-1/8" front with a 7'/8" rear bar.
What size are the bars you picked up?

Depending on the size bars I would play with them 1 only on each end at a time and see how it handles. Then hook both up at the same time and see how it handles.
The bars should be parallel to the ground adjusted by the links.

With the bar just on the front it should push, under steer. Bar on just the rear should over steer, rear come around.
With both I would think it would still push, under steer, but should be able to push it a little harder before it does start to push.

Tire psi can also have a change on under / over steer to fine tune the truck.
It can be fun trying to get something to handle for your driving style.
Dave ----

Old 08-04-2018, 09:24 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Most sway bar sets, front & rear, IIRC were 1-1/8" front with a 7'/8" rear bar.
What size are the bars you picked up?

Depending on the size bars I would play with them 1 only on each end at a time and see how it handles. Then hook both up at the same time and see how it handles.
The bars should be parallel to the ground adjusted by the links.

With the bar just on the front it should push, under steer. Bar on just the rear should over steer, rear come around.
With both I would think it would still push, under steer, but should be able to push it a little harder before it does start to push.

Tire psi can also have a change on under / over steer to fine tune the truck.
It can be fun trying to get something to handle for your driving style.
Dave ----

Ya tha tis was I though too 1-1/8" (Or bigger) on the front with the 7/8" rear bar but was not too sure so deleted that bit of the post. So it seems like my initial thoughts on the 1-1/8" front with 7/8" rear was correct.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:33 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
It is really weird going around a corner and having the rear end stay planted and track the corner and then have the front end slip to the inside of the corner. It makes recovery interesting to say the least. Cause as soon as you back off the throttle the front end digs in and the *** end takes off.
Steering by throttle around long sweeping turns is great.
I had a Datsun 510 I setup for auto cross & road racing. I would do that on the street for about a week then came to my senses before I put it around a pole and would park it for a few weeks. Then had to take it out again for some fun.

One of my project cars has aftermarket bars front & rear with KYB shocks, should handle pretty good if I ever get it on the road.
Dave ----

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody have a 2wd F150 with front and rear swaybars