Notices
General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dodge diesel vs. Ford diesel

Old 08-01-2018, 11:10 AM
brecri
New User
brecri is starting off with a positive reputation.
dodge diesel vs. Ford diesel

If you were going to buy a used truck to pull a 3 horse, horse trailer which would you buy? A dodge 2500, or a Ford F-250. I will have to buy a used truck so if you could help me with the years that are good, bad, or ugly that would be great. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:31 PM
85e150six4mtod
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
6.0 and 6.4 Fords are serious question marks. What is your budget? You have a horse, you must be rich.....

Old 08-02-2018, 09:40 AM
brecri
New User
Not rich

Thank you, really not rich

Old 08-02-2018, 11:23 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
for me it would be a 7.3 or 6.7.
i am not a fan of dodge trucks made after the 70's, they are way too flimsy for me with all the plastic and paper thin sheet metal in them.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Olds64
Elder User
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The Dodge Cummins diesels are all missing 2 cylinders. I wouldn't want to try to tow with one.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:13 PM
brecri
New User
What year ford would you recommend? I like the F-250

Old 08-03-2018, 06:05 PM
85e150six4mtod
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
Budget and what are you hauling, how much does it weigh, how far and how often, and what else are you carrying? An F250 may end up maxed out on cargo load even though it might still be ok on the trailer.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:07 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
with three horses in the trailer, i would automatically not even consider a 250, and look at minimum a 350 dually, or even a 450 or 550 pickup with 5th wheel plate.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:32 AM
knottyrope
Postmaster
knottyrope has a very good reputation on FTE.knottyrope has a very good reputation on FTE.knottyrope has a very good reputation on FTE.
what size horses?

3 draft horses 7,000 lbs
3 Horse Gooseneck trailer (5,300 lbs)
supplies and gear 700 lbs

As you can see the weight is getting up there.
Live weight moving around might make you wish for dually.

I have towed 11.5 k Camper with my 95 F350 and it goes well enough for my needs but those at higher elevations or going up steep grades might want more power via mods or newer truck.

I never drove a dodge diesel but see many of them towing trailers

Old 10-25-2018, 09:40 AM
carbonation
Junior User
carbonation is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dodge has the inline 6 Cummins, stout, reliable, lots of torque. But the package it's wrapped in, ugh.
Proving again that the only redeeming quality of a RAM is the engine.
Ford, V8, avoid the whole line from 2003 to 2011, 7.3 before 03, and 6.7 after 11 are good engines.
IMO, find a late model Ford 6.7 dually for horses. Your weight moves around, I think you need dual wheels for stability.
My sister did what you are doing for years. Big trailer with dressing room, 3 horses. 1999 F350 Dually, 7.3 . Just worked.
Check Enterprise car sales. I got my 16 (it's SRW) with 26k, in lease service for one year, for 30k.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:17 AM
brecri
New User
thank you

Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
Dodge has the inline 6 Cummins, stout, reliable, lots of torque. But the package it's wrapped in, ugh.
Proving again that the only redeeming quality of a RAM is the engine.
Ford, V8, avoid the whole line from 2003 to 2011, 7.3 before 03, and 6.7 after 11 are good engines.
IMO, find a late model Ford 6.7 dually for horses. Your weight moves around, I think you need dual wheels for stability.
My sister did what you are doing for years. Big trailer with dressing room, 3 horses. 1999 F350 Dually, 7.3 . Just worked.
Check Enterprise car sales. I got my 16 (it's SRW) with 26k, in lease service for one year, for 30k.
I bought a 2011 diesel super duty 6.7 engine. Thank you for your help. Love the truck it is a King Ranch Lariat

Old 10-27-2018, 08:17 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by brecri View Post
What year ford would you recommend? I like the F-250
2012+ for the 6.7L Powerstroke. 2011 was the only year with issues (valves and glow plugs).

Old 12-26-2018, 11:04 PM
Brandon Tepper
New User
Brandon Tepper is starting off with a positive reputation.
im just starting a build, and im mind set on a 6BT for several reasons. 1995 dodge 12 valve cummins. mostly because it is all mechanicals and takes a minimal amount of wiring. as the comment above says, " dodge diesels are missing 2 cylinders each". well, thats why im going to drop a 10 speed eaton RR behind it. to me, There is no other diesel to go with, this is definitely the motor of motors when it comes down to it, in my opinion that is .

Old 02-01-2019, 10:32 AM
beef tits
Elder User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
They’re both junk frankly.

The cummins is a better motor than the powerstroke but Ford makes a better truck all around.

Either way, keep about $10k in savings for unexpected repairs.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:35 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Spending time on bus forums it's clear that a cummins 5.9 isn't quite the machine that pickup truck Cummins owners think they are. Don't get me wrong they are great motors and I'd trust one and own one but they aren't a be all end all. 7.3 heui engines cost thousands more in school busses and still in a majority of them it seems. Seems to be more reliable than a 5.9 at moving buses around anyways. That being said, the 6.7 cummins seems to be a favorite, maybe the favorite in buses now. Which goes to show that internet opinion doesn't always match reality.

something to consider here is the year of truck and transmission combo. If the dodge has an automatic transmission, some years are terrible. And aftermarket tranny builds are expensive as hell. It's not uncommon to hear people spending 5 to 8k on an auto transmission behind a 5.9 to handle towing and or bumped power. I believe the newer dodges with the 6.7 and aisin transmission are the best but can't remember if that's just in the 4500's.

dollar for dollar I believe you're gonna end up with a better nicer truck putting money into a 6.0 truck on engine upgrades than a dodge doing transmission upgrades, but there are variables.

manual transmissions are nice, but in the last few years I've really noticed the pain some people are experiencing now finding parts on the road, and really I wouldn't say they're more reliable at all anymore. I love them but I would not own one in this day and age.

anyways it really depends what you find and for what money. There are plenty of trucks with good engines and transmissions but the rest of the truck would nickle and dime you to death, and I seem to see that lots with dodge trucks, but it can be any truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dodge diesel vs. Ford diesel

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: