How many miles do you have on your stock 6.0 - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

How many miles do you have on your stock 6.0

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How many miles do you have on your stock 6.0

Old 07-31-2018, 10:52 PM
amthatiam
Senior User
amthatiam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
CAC = Charge Air Cooler, it's the driver side tube that runs from top center of intake manifold to the inter cooler in the front of the truck behind the radiator. Ford in their infinite wisdom put a plastic one there that over time cracks and deteriorates creating boost leak....if you have the plastic one it is pretty obvious once you know what you are looking at. Open hood, look to the center front top of engine, you will see a an aluminum elbow that bends 90 degrees to the right (drivers side) the plastic tube attaches there and runs down below the air filter to the intercooler.

Riff Raff Diesel sells the metal version with options of different color boots, I went with the stock Ford black boots, it also comes with the needed clamps, pretty easy install.

Dan

Old 08-01-2018, 11:45 AM
JaySVX
Posting Guru
JaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to behold
The big silver pipe behind the alternator that comes off the turbo and goes to the intercooler is the CAC tube. Apparently I have a metal one, I've never seen a plastic one.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:48 AM
texastech_diesel
Post Fiend
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
You have a plastic cold side pipe in that picture, which is what we're talking about. It was changed from metal to plastic in the 2004-ish time frame:

Metal kit:
6.0L Driver Side Metal Intercooler CAC Tube Kit Ford 03-07

Another example of a non-original part on my 'stock' truck: I removed factory part (the plastic tube) and replaced with an older version (the metal one) because my 2007 came with a lot of factory stupidity on it.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:17 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel View Post
Another example of a non-original part on my 'stock' truck: I removed factory part (the plastic tube) and replaced with an older version (the metal one) because my 2007 came with a lot of factory stupidity on it.
Well said Bryan. I changed mine out also, but it is WAY DOWN on the list of factory parts that really should be changed out! I don't really understand focusing in on this particular one over the others (EGR cooler, blue spring, standpipe/dummy plugs, STC fitting replacement, Ford Gold coolant, original alternator, etc). I guess it is easy to do and not very "intrusive" into the engine, so why not.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
amthatiam
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Well said Bryan. I changed mine out also, but it is WAY DOWN on the list of factory parts that really should be changed out! I don't really understand focusing in on this particular one over the others (EGR cooler, blue spring, standpipe/dummy plugs, STC fitting replacement, Ford Gold coolant, original alternator, etc). I guess it is easy to do and not very "intrusive" into the engine, so why not.
I can't speak for anyone else, for me I'm doing these small easy things because my truck doesn't need any of the bigger ticket items currently. All the PID's are right where they are supposed to be, as for this plastic CAC tube it wouldn't leave me stranded on the side of the road if it broke per se, but the truck would become just about gutless until I got the duct tape out and rednecked it to get it home. Would rather not be out on the road with the camper at night and have to deal with it so any preventative maintenance I can do I'm doing. I will say that I am buying the parts slowly to do the STC, dummies and stand pipes, oil cooler and coolant just because I'm in there. At some point the EGR will be deleted as well. Beyond any of that I'm leaving the truck stock, for me it is more that powerful enough for my needs.

Dan

Old 08-01-2018, 05:03 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Yeah, I hear ya! Carrying duct tape is cheap and easy though! The parts I described can leave you completely stranded on a trip (and can balloon into big dollars). No predicting when they might fail. A leaking EGR cooler can lead to blown head gaskets. Low fuel pressure can lead to all new injectors. Dummy plug leakage (very common) isn't real expensive, but can strand you. A good running truck doesn't mean it will stay that way for 200k miles. Hope it will though! To each his own.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:27 PM
amthatiam
Senior User
Hence buying the parts now to do the preventative maintenance in the relatively near future....

Dan

Old 08-01-2018, 05:55 PM
HT32BSX115
Postmaster
HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.
I bought my 2005 F350 in DEC of 2013 with 24,000 miles on it......It now has about 38,000 on it!

Old 08-01-2018, 06:20 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
I'm jealous!

Old 08-01-2018, 06:24 PM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru
IHateCommieCars has a good reputation on FTE.IHateCommieCars has a good reputation on FTE.
Me too, Does the interior look like 38k too? Still pisses me off that I blew up my 55k ambulance. I'd planned on having that for years.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:45 PM
amthatiam
Senior User
Me three....

Old 08-01-2018, 07:03 PM
bfloyd4445
Posting Guru
bfloyd4445 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by amthatiam View Post
CAC = Charge Air Cooler, it's the driver side tube that runs from top center of intake manifold to the inter cooler in the front of the truck behind the radiator. Ford in their infinite wisdom put a plastic one there that over time cracks and deteriorates creating boost leak....if you have the plastic one it is pretty obvious once you know what you are looking at. Open hood, look to the center front top of engine, you will see a an aluminum elbow that bends 90 degrees to the right (drivers side) the plastic tube attaches there and runs down below the air filter to the intercooler.

Riff Raff Diesel sells the metal version with options of different color boots, I went with the stock Ford black boots, it also comes with the needed clamps, pretty easy install.

Dan
Thank you, I will order one I'm sure mine needs changed after ten yeqars. Is there any difference between the years or do they fit all 6.0's?

There are several right side left side I'm not sure which to order. There is the CAC cold side kit, CAC hot side kit.......Do i need to get both kits?

Old 08-01-2018, 07:11 PM
bfloyd4445
Posting Guru
bfloyd4445 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by amthatiam View Post

Dan
Thank you, I will order one I'm sure mine needs changed after ten yeqars. Is there any difference between the years or do they fit all 6.0's?

There are several right side left side I'm not sure which to order. There is the CAC cold side kit, CAC hot side kit.......Do i need to get both kits?

Old 08-01-2018, 07:31 PM
amthatiam
Senior User
Just the cold side kit, the hot side is already metal, though you may consider replacing the boots and clamps on it while doing the cold side, talk to Riff Raff Diesel about it, very good company to deal with.

Dan

Old 08-02-2018, 11:08 AM
texastech_diesel
Post Fiend
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
I changed mine out also, but it is WAY DOWN on the list of factory parts that really should be changed out!
I got a free one from here so I ordered boots when I did the hot side

Other truck got one because someone got a little rough removing the tube once

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many miles do you have on your stock 6.0

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.