How many miles do you have on your stock 6.0 - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

How many miles do you have on your stock 6.0

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How many miles do you have on your stock 6.0

Old 07-31-2018, 07:43 AM
KDAVID1
Postmaster
KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I was thinking like it came from the factory. Mine is still running perfect but everytime i drive it it scares me because of all the bad things i have read. I use an additive in every tank full with frequent oil changes of 100% synthetic oil. The egr valve bothers me i have never even looked at mine i suppose i shoubild. On another thread there is a guy that claims almost 500k stock original motor but two trannies. I'll likely do as you have one of these days soon just to be safe. I love the old truck
Wouldn't be scared. A lot of issues can be avoided with proper maintenance. Heck I haven't used fuel addatives in 3 years. Some of the issues are luck of the draw, some are self inflicted. Drive it, do the maint, monitor her and you will be fine.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:25 AM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by KDAVID1 View Post
Wouldn't be scared. A lot of issues can be avoided with proper maintenance. Heck I haven't used fuel addatives in 3 years. Some of the issues are luck of the draw, some are self inflicted. Drive it, do the maint, monitor her and you will be fine.
+1

Old 07-31-2018, 09:28 AM
scott79
Posting Guru
scott79 has a good reputation on FTE.scott79 has a good reputation on FTE.scott79 has a good reputation on FTE.
Miy 06 F350 4x4 CCSB is completely stock, just like it left the factory with the exception of installing a ReadyLift 2" leveling kit. Has 145k on the clock. I run Motorcraft Cetane PM22 in the fuel, every other fill-up. I also run Archoil AR9100 in every oil change. Oil is Delo 400LE Synthetic 5W-40. Only components that been replaced is the ICP sensor and alternator.

My son has a 07 F350 4x4 CCLB (bought new) that has 345K on it. Bone stock, ONLY components replaced the alternator, Turbo, dummy plugs and standpipes. Drives it like he stole it!!

Old 07-31-2018, 10:31 AM
texastech_diesel
Post Fiend
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
The reason for the question is I believe that the major thing that shortens there life is after market add ons and tuners
I'd disagree, there are better than stock PCM and FICM tunes (based on earlier factory programs) that don't add significant (or even any) power, and there are aftermarket parts that are both better quality and better specifications than many of the original factory parts.

One of our trucks is at 110k miles now, but after three dead factory 110A alternators it's now wearing an LN230, and got a rebuilt FICM because of damage from under-specified factory alternator and crappy Ford warranty reman parts. I still consider it stock because the only thing replaced was the undersized 110A alternator that shouldn't have been an option in the first place.

The other is at 125k miles now, it got an EGR delete at 75k as part of replacing the terrible "factory" STC fitting. FICM tune around 65k miles with a PCM rollback since the latest Form PCM program wasn't considered optimal compared to older ones. DC Power XP270 alternator at around 90k miles because the factory 140A failed. Again, I still consider this truck stock because I replaced an undersized alternator, STC fitting, and a bad EGR cooler design that weren't worth keeping, despite being "factory parts".

Things like this aren't fancy intakes and fancy exhausts, I didn't cam the engines or bore the block or fire ring the heads or do a crazy ported intake or a regulated return, the things I've done are better replacement parts for factory failures that shouldn't have been on the truck in the first place. If I was in an emissions state I would have done a BPD EGR cooler instead of the delete - that's a part that's unarguably better than the factory part.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:18 PM
Carolina Rig
Senior User
Carolina Rig has a good reputation on FTE.Carolina Rig has a good reputation on FTE.
Cool

212,000 miles. oh wait...

I was thinking like it came from the factory.
nevermind..

Old 07-31-2018, 03:43 PM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru
IHateCommieCars has a good reputation on FTE.IHateCommieCars has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm at 215k on the 06 F450. From what I can see, it's completely stock except for upgraded dummy plugs and STC replacement. I got it with 144k. BUT, and a huge BUT, the clock shows 10,000 engine hours. That's a whole lotta idle time, more than makes sense to me. For all I know, this is not the original engine, but that wouldn't explain the "low" miles. Heck, I don't know what I got. I have seen evidence of someone inside - EGR Marman clamp wasn't OEM, and one of the bolts on the HPOP cover rounded off, which doesn't make sense unless the HPOP went out (since the STC was still there), which doesn't usually happen.

I don't know what happens when you idle these for hours, but when I took the intake off recently, there was soot caked around all the head ports, and inside the intake was/is filthy.

My son's 06 250 has 148k, and it's stock. My E450 has 110k, but I expect it has tons of idle hours since it was a shuttle bus for the cruise ships in Galveston and just drove a quarter mile circle all day long with long idles loading/unloading passengers. One of my 06 E450 ambulances only had 55k low-stress miles but I blew it up leaving the degas cap off The other one has 140k, and was running fine except for some oil in the coolant until I tried to replace the oil cooler and do a delete and never have gotten it to start again.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:51 PM
jsm180
Posting Guru
jsm180 has a very good reputation on FTE.jsm180 has a very good reputation on FTE.jsm180 has a very good reputation on FTE.
218k on mine, the egr cooler fell off shortly after I bought the truck and I still haven't found it. Just did 3000 miles pulling the 5th wheel with no problems, 11 mpg @ 65-70 mph.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:04 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
I understand the desire to keep things as stock as possible, but there is a TON of collective wisdom on this forum that can help people keep an owner's truck reliable for 200k + miles (brakes, steering, and suspension issues might be an exception!).

Hopefully 100k miles of success doesn't take away from the perspective that just maybe some improvements are needed for the next 100k+ miles of reliable operation!

Old 07-31-2018, 07:09 PM
TxMav
Senior User
TxMav is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
I understand the desire to keep things as stock as possible, but there is a TON of collective wisdom on this forum that can help people keep an owner's truck reliable for 200k + miles (brakes, steering, and suspension issues might be an exception!).

Hopefully 100k miles of success doesn't take away from the perspective that just maybe some improvements are needed for the next 100k+ miles of reliable operation!
I second that^^^^^^^

Tons and tons of wisdom here.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:51 PM
KDAVID1
Postmaster
KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TxMav View Post
I second that^^^^^^^

Third.............. .... .....

Old 07-31-2018, 09:18 PM
bfloyd4445
Posting Guru
bfloyd4445 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, stock. I have switched to ELC coolant with coolant filter and replaced failed FICM with a stock setting FICM from Ed and the alternator and 2 injectors, turbo was replaced by ford by the previous owner. (all maintenance).
To me, stock means, original bolts,oil cooler, egr in tact, no exhaust mods, no tunes, etc. I'm the second owner but I bought it from a ford dealer that the 1st owner bought it from and traded it in to. So they had all the history on it (no mods). Bought it with 92,000 and I've put the last 98,000 miles on it.

I also believe that after market add on can cause more problems than they solve. That said, I would still like to do the egr delete and an Atlas 40 ficm one day.
thanks. I want to do the egr delete also but i still run the ford gold coolant.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 PM
bfloyd4445
Posting Guru
I second that^^^^^^^

My feeling exactly. I bought my 2007 in 2006 because it looked to me like all the major issues had fixes by then and the rebates were huge.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:27 PM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru
IHateCommieCars has a good reputation on FTE.IHateCommieCars has a good reputation on FTE.
Heck, I drove that 450 to Anchorage last summer when it had about 180k on it. In retrospect, that was crazy risky. Any little hiccup could have left me hundreds of miles from civilization, but she drove like a champ the whole way and back, over 10k miles.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:57 PM
amthatiam
Senior User
amthatiam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2006 186,000 + bone stock with the exception of blue spring and metal CAC pipe to replace the ridiculous plastic one which I guess could be considered "stock" since it is a factory part....very happy with how well the truck runs.

Dan

Old 07-31-2018, 10:31 PM
bfloyd4445
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by amthatiam View Post
2006 186,000 + bone stock with the exception of blue spring and metal CAC pipe to replace the ridiculous plastic one which I guess could be considered "stock" since it is a factory part....very happy with how well the truck runs.

Dan
CAC pipe? Plastic What is a CAC?.......maybe i should change mine if its plastic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many miles do you have on your stock 6.0

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.