Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

1979 f250 crew cab project

Old 01-22-2019, 11:04 PM
jimmystoys
Senior User
jimmystoys is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimmystoys is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes I youtubed it, thanks. Very interesting. Guys... I could see another rust thread starting soon lol

Old 01-23-2019, 06:46 AM
Meridian_Mike
Built Ford TOUGH
Meridian_Mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jimmystoys View Post
Guys... I could see another rust thread starting soon lol
Hey.... sure... why not. I would subscribe!

Mike

Old 01-23-2019, 12:09 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
rust is the devils work.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:09 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.
I finally got my aluminum radiator, got it installed along with the new water pump.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:50 PM
jimmystoys
Senior User
jimmystoys is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimmystoys is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That looks really sharp!

Old 01-24-2019, 06:50 AM
Meridian_Mike
Built Ford TOUGH
Shore is shinny!!!

Old 01-27-2019, 12:25 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
I finished up most of the cooling system. Fan is on, shroud is on, new thermostat is in, and all new belts and hoses are installed.

I pulled the heater box and am also replacing the heater core. Of course I took there fan out and proceeded to drop it and bust the squirrel cage. I guess I'm replacing both of those now too, so I have to wait for parts. I've also got a coolant filter coming so I'm not so worried about the gunk that's in the engine plugging up my fancy new radiator.

While I wait for parts I think I might start getting the front springs in and hopefully get the axle back under there.i

Old 01-30-2019, 10:23 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
New blower motor and squirrel cage showed up today. Got them installed, heater box is back in, and got new heater hoses on. Nothing really exciting enough to get pictures of. Once the coolant filter shows up I'll finally get to top of the system and cross it off the list.

I did get one of the front springs started mounting, have to make longer rear shackles before I finish them up.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:16 AM
Meridian_Mike
Built Ford TOUGH
Nice work!!
I have got to check out one of these coolant filter contraptions.... Didn't know there was any such thing.

Mike

Old 01-31-2019, 11:03 AM
black & blue 78/9
Senior User
black & blue 78/9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Watching and lurkin

Old 02-02-2019, 02:03 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
All the buildup and now here's the delivery! Coolant filter showed up yesterday so I got it installed today. It looks like a giant fuel filter. The ends unscrew and you can take the screen out and clean it if it gets full of chunks. This one is a Champion brand with 1 3/4" necks . You can get different sizes. I paid $71 off eBay with free shipping. I didn't like the price, but like the piece of mind it offers.

So I topped off the radiator and fired the truck up. Only to find I have a nasty fuel leak at the fuel pump. I guess it's always gotta be something!

I left that for now because I was fuming mad, started working on making the longer shackles to mount the front super duty springs.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
i gotta see what that looks like running, is it glass or platic?

Old 02-02-2019, 09:32 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
Originally Posted by Skip1970 View Post
i gotta see what that looks like running, is it glass or platic?
Its aliminum ends with a glass center. There seems to only be 2 different styles made, and this one looked a lot better than the other one. A lot of reviews on the other one said it was fragile and crappy. Hope I chose right! I like it because your can see if there's flow. And it's a quick way to check coolant level.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:13 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
It was a big progress day! I started with mounting up the front springs. If you're thinking of doing super duty springs, you'll want to pay attention.

To mount the springs to the truck: I got the super duty bolts with my springs, so I had to drill out the front spring mount holes. Next you need to make longer shackles for the back. I went with 1" longer than stock.

The next bit of confusion is it seems some people move the front mount to center the axle back up in the wheel well. I went a different route and made offset axle shims from some 3/8x3 flat. I figured the axle needed to be 1 1/2" further forward than the leaf spring pin. I made them 6 1/2" long so the u bolts would keep it from shifting. Then I drilled a center hole. This one is for the axle. I took the locating pin out of the factory leaf springs, welded it in, cut it off, then ground the back flat. I moved back 1 1/2" and drilled another hole for the leaf spring pin to go into.

The only other modification I had to do was to the top u bolt spring plate. I had to drill a hole 1 1/2" back from the original for the nut on the top.

All clamped together

Axle in!

By my measurements, this is going to net around 2" lift in the front end. My rear springs are supposed to be 1 1/2" taller than factory, but I won't truly know how it all is until I get it back on tires with the box on. Fingers crossed!

Old 02-04-2019, 11:45 AM
black & blue 78/9
Senior User
black & blue 78/9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are these "stock" SD springs or lift springs? Is moving the axle 1-1/2" necessary? Do you have spec's for the longer shackles?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1979 f250 crew cab project

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.