Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

1979 f250 crew cab project

Old 09-04-2018, 06:47 AM
emeraldcoupe
Elder User
emeraldcoupe has a good reputation on FTE.emeraldcoupe has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by nzirbel View Post

I got one of the new rear leaf springs mounted. I know it doesn't seem like progress, but it's a big step. My brother, member bigzirb, was killed in a motorcycle accident a few weeks ago. He was my dentside partner in crime. I'd always send him pics and updates, and we'd talk out the problems together. It's going to be difficult to pick up a wrench for a bit, but I'm going to get this one done.
damn, sorry to hear about your brother man.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:48 AM
emeraldcoupe
Elder User
emeraldcoupe has a good reputation on FTE.emeraldcoupe has a good reputation on FTE.

I got one of the new rear leaf springs mounted. I know it doesn't seem like progress, but it's a big step. My brother, member bigzirb, was killed in a motorcycle accident a few weeks ago. He was my dentside partner in crime. I'd always send him pics and updates, and we'd talk out the problems together. It's going to be difficult to pick up a wrench for a bit, but I'm going to get this one done.
sorry, double post

Old 09-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Aaron-71
Postmaster
Aaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to behold
Condolences to you and your family.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Jchet729
Elder User
Jchet729 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So sorry to hear about your brother. I figured from his post you knew each other. I lost my father last fall and he instilled a love for these trucks in my brother and I & between the 3 of of I think we have 10 of them all together. It'll make the journey so much more meaningful when you get to drive it cause you can bet he'll be there with you. Prayers for you and your family.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:51 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.
Well, it's been slow going, but I finally got the rear axle rebuilt, painted, and ready to go. It's got all new everything in the brakes and a new rear axle seal.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
Got the rear axle in place, had to order u bolts so it's not done yet.

While I'm waiting for u bolts, I started on engine stuff. First step: take the hood off! Far easier if your doing lots of work under there. Since it's an unknown engine, a compression check was in order. Thankfully it seems healthy, average about 125 per cylinder. Treated it to new plugs, wires, cap and rotor while I was at it.
The fuel system isn't hooked up yet, but with a bottle to gravity feed it actually does fire up and idles nicely. Sounds like some noise in the rockers so next I'm going to pull the valve covers off and take a look.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:14 AM
maddogjohnson
Senior User
maddogjohnson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looking good. Glad to see you are at a point where you are able to pick things back up.

Cheers!

Old 10-18-2018, 09:04 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
Well, one step forward, 2 steps back. Pulled the valve covers and found the dreaded chunks in the oil drain holes. I guess I'm now going to be replacing valve stem seals. And that probably means I should drop the pan and check out the oil pickup.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:05 AM
81F(ranken)100
Senior User
81F(ranken)100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
First of all, I'm really very sorry to hear about your brother. All the best to you and your family!

I am not familiar with the 400 engine in the least - so please take this with a grain of salt... are you sure 125 psi per cylinder is "good"? Of course, if they are all 125 psi - the fact that they are well within 10% of each other is great! However, I know on my 300i6 (with worn rings) was getting 175 psi per cylinder. I did a quick search and saw other 400 owners reporting something around 150's or even as high as 160 (wasn't an extensive search, mind you - see attached link). You may have a sealing issue, perhaps worn out rings - albeit evenly worn - if 125 is in fact considered "low".

I believe you can check the ring seal by dumping a teaspoon of engine oil down the spark plug hole, and then repeating the compression test. If the numbers raise significantly from your "dry" compression test, this is an indication of a bad ring-to-cylinder wall seal (the oil you added is helping to seal from the top).

Again, I don't know that engine so feel free to ignore me entirely

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...t-results.html

Old 10-22-2018, 07:07 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
My highest reading was 130psi, lowest was 118psi, rest were right around 125. If you get much more than 10% variation between your lowest/highest, or you drop to the 100psi range than it's something to worry about . Otherwise it sounds good, runs good, and doesn't have a blown head gasket. Win.

If the motor wasn't healthy than I wouldn't spend a dime on it, I'd just go to a 460. I'm not fond of 400's, but I don't hate them to the point where I'll take out a working one.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:23 AM
somethingclever
Posting Guru
somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.
125psi is right in OEM form.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:56 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
Progress! Rear axle is all bolted up and done. If anyone is looking to swap a 10.25 Sterling in place of a Dana 60 it's pretty straight forward. Had to enlarge the alignment hole on the factory block, open up the holes on the spring plate, and order u bolts. They are 9/16" x 3 1/2" x 10 1/2" if anyone wonders.

I moved on to valve seals, and they aren't all that fun. The passenger side is done. Out of the 8, only 2 remained intact. The rest were completely or mostly missing. I used an entire can of engine degreaser on the valve covers and shot them with a fresh coat of paint. Yep, lipstick on a pig! I plan on doing a lot of under hood cleaning later.

I started on the driver's side, front 2 are done. Pulled the master cylinder to make it a little easier since I'm replacing it anyways .

Old 12-11-2018, 08:35 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
Well, I've been lax on the updates, but I have been working on the truck! I finished up the valve seals, painted the other valve cover, and buttoned the motor up.

Next up is the front axle. Since it needs pretty much everything, I decided it would be a lot easier to pull it out and rebuild it on saw horses . And it's a lot easier to torch all the hardware then fight rusty junk. I'm leaving the gears alone, everything looks good inside. The rest will pretty much be replaced, cleaned up, and por 15'd.

Here's the amount of crusty rust I'm dealing with

Passenger side is all cleaned up, new ball joints, axle u joint, seals, bearings, and disc.

I always wondered what wound this truck up in a junkyard in the first place, I may have found the answer! The passenger side joint was trashed, but the driver's side is right messed up! Thankfully I was able to find good used shafts.

Next up is finish putting the driver's side back together, paint the rest of the axle, and I'm going to drop the oil pan, check the pickup, and replace the rear main before the axle goes back in. Looks super easy to do with the axle out!

Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Devildog450r
Freshman User
Devildog450r is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry to hear about your brother. Your doing a Great job, subscribed.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:39 PM
nzirbel
Senior User
Front axle is all put together minus calipers and steering parts. I scraped, degreased, scraped, degreased, wiped, degreased...I think you get it, it sucked. Cleaned the crap out of it and shot it with por15. Ran short, of course, so I'm waiting on another quart to continue.

Next on the list was drop the oil pan. Pretty unexciting since the axle was out. I did find all of the chunks from the valve seals in the bottom, glad I dropped it.

While the pan is off, I'm going to clean it up and paint it, it's pretty crusty. I think I'm also going to change the rear main seal since I'm this far in.

I'm also finding more evidence that this motor has had some work done at some point. The heads were pretty clean under the covers, the bores look great from what I can see, compression is good, the oil pickup tube shows tool marks from being taken off, and the oil pan gasket had red rtv tacking it on. I hope it has, one less thing to worry about!

I'm trying to be methodical, but I may be jumping around a bit soon. As you all know, budgets suck and mines burning up like crazy! The good news is that I have all of the body repair panels already, so if I get stopped on mechanical I can switch to that for a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1979 f250 crew cab project

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.