Electric Fan Direction Pusher or Puller - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Electric Fan Direction Pusher or Puller

Old 08-03-2018, 03:39 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
What brand, model, and CFM rating is the fan?

Just idling, I am surprised it got to 200. Was that in the garage?

Have you run it without the rad cap on to verify water flow yet?

Old 08-03-2018, 04:27 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by F100supercrew View Post
Tried it this morning at idle fan went on at 200 degrees got it down to 185 BUT no heat in cab and it was on HIGH and another problem I was not happy with was went out to grill see how fan was pulling put paper up to the grill did not suck fast to grill-- Put it up against AC condenser not even a little pull in--- but inside engine bay area blowing lots of air back towards firewall---
Is there a gap between condenser and radiator that has no baffle? I assume that you are using your dash gauge? Do you have coolant coming out the radiator overflow tube when hot?

Old 08-03-2018, 05:27 PM
F100supercrew
Junior User
F100supercrew is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I decided to do the following---

Got correct QUALITY clockwise water pump-- get rid of this JUNK GMB pump they might even have the wrong impeller in and not what I order clockwise

Got a Spal 16" --3,000 CFM fan

Get rid of this shroud and use none NEW fan to radiator-- all my other street rods never had a shroud and all worked great

Got lower rad hose with ribs in it this will never collapse

Got the real GREEN anti- freeze and mixed it with distilled water-- like old school -- did not like the 50/50 pre mixed I had in it --- looked light real light green water

All these years and all my street rods NEVER had heating problems like this

------------- Will give report when all these items are done and a few road test---- Thanks to everyone's help and advice ---------------------------

Old 08-09-2018, 12:12 AM
pappacrunch
Junior User
pappacrunch has a very good reputation on FTE.pappacrunch has a very good reputation on FTE.pappacrunch has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you are running an automatic transmission and have the fluid routed through the radiator to cool the tranny, the issue maybe with the tranny needing its own cooler. When in park or neutral it does stay in normal operating range? If it only gets hot when you are in gear or driving this may be a place to look.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:25 PM
F100supercrew
Junior User
NO has it's own independent trans cooler-- I NEVER use those lower outlets in the radiator for cooling lines

----------------------------- I took complete front pulley set-up off today to replace water pump to find out it was a REVERSE rotation and should of been a standard --clockwise rotation -- the vendor sent the wrong one and I found out the HARD way --- replaced the original Chinese electric fan to a QUALITY Spal fan--- and changed the fan heat sensor to a lower setting, which will go off at 190 degrees, instead of 215 degrees--- will find out soon if this is the answer----

Old 08-10-2018, 12:20 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by F100supercrew View Post
NO has it's own independent trans cooler-- I NEVER use those lower outlets in the radiator for cooling lines

----------------------------- I took complete front pulley set-up off today to replace water pump to find out it was a REVERSE rotation and should of been a standard --clockwise rotation -- the vendor sent the wrong one and I found out the HARD way --- replaced the original Chinese electric fan to a QUALITY Spal fan--- and changed the fan heat sensor to a lower setting, which will go off at 190 degrees, instead of 215 degrees--- will find out soon if this is the answer----
Thanks for the update. Engines don't like it when they're force fed water the wrong way.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:16 PM
51dueller
Post Fiend
51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.
I still don't understand how a standard rotation pulley fit a reverse rotation pump since they have different bolt patterns so they can't be mixed up.. You have to redrill the pulley to make it work. Here's a picture I found showing what I mean.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:42 PM
F100supercrew
Junior User

NO --- I got a 1967-92 timing cover oil dip stick oil plugged and converted to a mech fuel pump , rear sump pan----- the Pump I had to use to match timing cover was a 1983 Mercury Cougar --- STANDARD rotation --same bolt pattern for cover and pump 4- bolt pulley has the one took off that was a REVERSE rotation---

Old 08-11-2018, 06:52 AM
F100supercrew
Junior User

Here are the pumps used one on left REVERSE--- wrong one sent by vendor--one on LEFT --STANDARD--correct one

Old 08-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Mixer man
Postmaster
Mixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to behold
Incredible. And even as careful as I am, I don't think I would have caught that either.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:34 PM
F100supercrew
Junior User

All back together and filled up, but weather will not let me test drive it--- learned something the latest correct pump shaft is at a little different location needed all NEW belts ---

Old 08-13-2018, 02:04 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.
I think some of the issues is you spec'd an 83 Cougar application for the water pump, they had reverse rotation pumps. In 83 the only the trucks and the Panthers (Crown Vic Grand Marquis and Town Car) had standard rotation pumps on the 302. Everything else was reverse rotation. For serpentine systems IIRC the only small blocks to use the standard rotation pump was the Panthers, 302 till 83-84 and the 351W till 91.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:39 AM
F100supercrew
Junior User
TEST drive all done and all is well--With correct standard water pump--correct fan heat sensor and new Spal electric fan --- fan went ON at 210 degrees and OFF at 180 degrees reading on dash temp gauge . So everything is working as it should --- Thanks for everyone's help and advise

Old 08-17-2018, 12:28 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Great news! Now to ENJOY your truck...

Old 08-17-2018, 01:43 PM
Mixer man
Postmaster
Mixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to behold
That's great. Glad you're up and running. I think I understand your logic for adding the holes to the shroud.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Fan Direction Pusher or Puller

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.