Lengths of C6 autos - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Lengths of C6 autos

Old 07-26-2018, 10:37 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Dirty Offio is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lengths of C6 autos

Hey folks,

I have been searching around FTE, and can't find a reasonable answer to this.

How many lengths of C6 are there?

I thought that Ford did us better than government motors did the bowtie boys...apparently not. I keep finding references to different length transmissions. Drat.

I have an 86 F250, 460, C6, 4x4. Last friday the front seal, or front pump blew on my transmission while towing up the freeway with a 1 car trailer with a Jeep XJ on it. I have 3 spare C6's lying around in different rigs, but they are all 4x2. I thought all the C6's were the same length, dang it! lol

Anyway, I was hoping that we could get as many of the length's listed in 1 post, along with what they are out of. That way there, if anyone comes along needing the info later, it will be available.

Thanks in advance!

Offio

Old 07-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
There seems to be at least 3 different lengths, I know a guy that has run into that before. But I can't find much info on it. The differences seem to be in the tailshaft lengths, even in 4x4 applications they are different.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:42 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Franklin,

Crud...that sucks. Thanks for the info!

Anyone else have any info?

Old 07-27-2018, 08:56 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
I posted this in another thread recently, Ford used at least 5 different C6 output shafts in trucks & vans1980/89 ; no idea about sedans, those are different books.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:05 PM
moose4x4
Elder User
moose4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
They are all the same length from bell housing to the extension housing on rear. If the spare c6 you have are good? are they 351m-400-429-460 bell housing bolt pattern? If so you will have to pull the output shaft out of the 4x4 tranny and put it in one of the others. Only problem is both output shafts have a snap ring holding them in deep inside the tranny. I did it many times, used to have c6 out of derby cars and used them when third and reverse went out on my 4x4, which is pretty common.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:06 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.matthewq4b has a great reputation on FTE.
Overall length of 2WD C6's is 33.5" there may be an odd ball out there but the standard seems to be this dimension.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:05 AM
bbf385
Elder User
bbf385 has a good reputation on FTE.bbf385 has a good reputation on FTE.bbf385 has a good reputation on FTE.
There was 2 lengths in the 70's trucks; shorter came with the np203 case and the longer output shaft with the np205.
I have only seen one length with 80+ trucks and it's about the same as the shorter output used in the 73-79 trucks.
This is only 4x4. RWD transmissions have a different spline output so they are irrelevant
"just change the ouput shaft" yeah at that point just rebuild the trans in the truck as it would be the same amount of work.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:06 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Originally Posted by bbf385 View Post
There was 2 lengths in the 70's trucks; shorter came with the np203 case and the longer output shaft with the np205.
I have only seen one length with 80+ trucks and it's about the same as the shorter output used in the 73-79 trucks.
This is only 4x4. RWD transmissions have a different spline output so they are irrelevant
"just change the ouput shaft" yeah at that point just rebuild the trans in the truck as it would be the same amount of work.
I agree. If I am going internally on it, I will just rebuild it. I was trying to avoid doing a rebuild! lol.

Thanks to All for the answers. Work went bleeping nuts right after I posted this question and today is the 1st chance I had to get back since Franklin had replied.

Cheers!

Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 AM
BigBlue 94
Junior User
BigBlue 94 is starting off with a positive reputation.
C6 4x4 transmission. F350 with 351w. All factory.

27" from bellhousing to rear surface of the case, not including the transfer case adapter.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:04 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by matthewq4b View Post
Overall length of 2WD C6's is 33.5" there may be an odd ball out there but the standard seems to be this dimension.
Originally Posted by bbf385 View Post
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post

27" from bellhousing to rear surface of the case, not including the transfer case adapter.
Ok How can there be so many different ones if measured from bell housing face to where the tail housing or 4x4 adaptor bolts on?
I thought for the most part you could swap the guts around as they would all fit into the case no?

Now I can see a difference if one was for a small block and the outer for a big block as the bell housings could be deeper throwing off how long they are.
Dave - - - -

Old 08-10-2018, 02:35 PM
BigBlue 94
Junior User

forgot to add this was a 1996 model

Old 08-10-2018, 04:39 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
forgot to add this was a 1996 model
Which would not have a C6 transmission.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:00 PM
BigBlue 94
Junior User
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
Which would not have a C6 transmission.
yes, it does, from the factory. It's also OBD1 and speed density. The gear selector has no overdrive button, and it reads PRND21. No shaded "D" for overdrive either. 17 pan bolts on an L shaped pan that a c6 pan for perfect

f350 XL ordered by KC Missouri as a fleet truck. It pushed snow for its first 80k miles, which is probably why the c6 case is broke.

The transfer case shifter is an F6TZ part and has this stamped on the side

Old 08-10-2018, 06:27 PM
ctubutis
Huh... a Dealer Special Order could answer that, I can't identify what the TRANS code is on that label but I would expect an E40D or similar. But maybe it began life similar to a U-Haul truck or sumthin', I don't think the general public had that option here.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:31 PM
BigBlue 94
Junior User
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
Huh... a Dealer Special Order could answer that, I can't identify what the TRANS code is on that label but I would expect an E40D or similar. But maybe it began life similar to a U-Haul truck or sumthin', I don't think the general public had that option here.
it is a complete vehicle, and factory blue, with KCMO city numbers on it still. I posted in another thread here from a few years back that confirms G is a c6. I only could find that it meant c4, but it clearly and obviously wouldn't be a c4. It definitely surprised me when I was driving it home and noticed it didn't have OD! That's what I get for assuming all 96s were e4od.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lengths of C6 autos

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.