New to me 6.4! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New to me 6.4!

Old 07-25-2018, 07:29 AM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
New to me 6.4!

Hey y'all! Definitely not new to ford trucks or FTE but I'm fresh from the 7.3 forum. Picked up a 2009 F350 CCSB yesterday. She has already had the dpf delete, I take, and 4" exhaust and a mini maxx tuner. She runs like a scalded dog. Way more power than the 7.3 and maybe even more than my charger I traded for her!

Old 07-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice looking truck. Read up on the maintenance schedules as they are insane compared to your old 7.3. From advice from some of the regulars here I went with oil changes every 5,000, fuel filters (x2) every 10,000, drain the fuel bowl every month and only get diesel from high use stations. They are very powerful engines especially when tuned. But they have weaknesses for sure and read up on those while your at it. I hope she gives you a long reliable life.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:58 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Enjoy the change.

I have an 08 same setup. Seth above says the iron words you'll need to heed. Different in every regard to our 7.3's. Very capable and comfortable rigs but there are a few things in the woodpile that will ruin your day if neglected.

Any help with questions, just post what's on your mind. Most notable things that are needy have been beat to death in this forum. Grab a cold one on a rainy day and start scabbing old posts. SpeakerFritz is his handle and he has been thru this rig more than any Ford engineer has. If you want cold hard facts, check his posts. He's like the Godfather of 6.4's to this forum.

I'm seriously impressed with the strength and superior capabilities of the platform compared to my E99 250. The only real issue with mine is I can't get my wife out from behind the wheel to enjoy it. Only high point there is she takes care of it like her nails, teeth and hair.

Have fun!!

Denny

Old 07-26-2018, 08:11 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
dont read the stuff in the 6.4 forum until after the honeymoon.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:29 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
dont read the stuff in the 6.4 forum until after the honeymoon.
I was waiting for you to come along fritz.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:16 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Oh,

Sorry medic, I forgot to mention that Fritz is a peckerhead. (But a well educated one on the 6.4)

Good luck brutha!!!

Denny

Old 07-26-2018, 05:43 PM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
Haha it's all good. Every forum has one lol. I appreciate all of the good info so far. I've already done a lot of reading. Had I done this reading prior I may not have bought the 6.4, but there are a lot of success stories with it out there and I have seen a lot of high mileage 6.4s. I have a ton of garage space, so I may invest in a lift for the house. Sounds like it may pay for itself with this truck, but at the end of the day i love the body style, the ride, and the power and sound of the 6.4. I'm sure with the wisdom here I'll be able to get years of satisfaction.

Based on what I've learned from reading today I have turned my tuner down to stock and I'll be ordering the egr and cooler delete kit either today or tomorrow. It has some kind of cone filter, but I may trade that out for an S&B filter. Those along with the DPF delete, exhaust (which i mistakenly assumed was a 4 inch is actually 5 inch) and tuner which have already been done seem to be the bulk of it. Am i missing anything big?

Old 07-26-2018, 05:59 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
Fluid levels are a learning curve on these. Check them 5 times and especially oil. (My dipstick owns its own name, MF for short). Check it often. When things seem to go south is fuel dilution in the pan.

If you have a steady level on the stick, rest easy. If it appreciably rises, uh oh.

Read up on the correct way to check trans fluid. Most do it wrong.

My advice is to do everything in baby steps and not at once and not at close intervals. It's new to you and most things we try to sort out in this forum are from someone spraying an assload of mods all at once and putting they're hands in the air.

It's a great rig. Handle it as such.

Denny

Old 07-26-2018, 06:03 PM
afmedic
Elder User
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Fluid levels are a learning curve on these. Check them 5 times and especially oil. (My dipstick owns its own name, MF for short). Check it often. When things seem to go south is fuel dilution in the pan.

If you have a steady level on the stick, rest easy. If it appreciably rises, uh oh.

Read up on the correct way to check trans fluid. Most do it wrong.

My advice is to do everything in baby steps and not at once and not at close intervals. It's new to you and most things we try to sort out in this forum are from someone spraying an assload of mods all at once and putting they're hands in the air.

It's a great rig. Handle it as such.

Denny
I will definitely do it in moderation, especially because that's what the wallet will allow. Its had it's current mods for a long time and seems to be doing ok. I need to learn about the mini max and the best refueling parameters to use for things, but I'm not here to race. This is my DD and she will be treated very well! I'm trying to find an EGR delete kit with the intake elbow but I cant decide between the $90 dieselops one or the $300 sinister diesel kit.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:15 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
I felt exactly like you do after I bought mine. Knew there was issues but didn’t realize the full potential of them until after I bought it. There are guys on here that do nothing but drive them. My confidence began to crack after some more expensive repairs. But I am just one. I hope she give you many reliable miles. My truck was fun to drive for sure.

Check out River City Diesel. That’s the intake tube mine had.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:17 PM
afmedic
Elder User
I ended up ordering the Orion kit. Had good reviews and it was a middle of the road price. It also doesnt have a big flashy blue tube. All the pieces are black which I like.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:51 PM
afmedic
Elder User

All waxed up!

Old 07-29-2018, 05:00 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by afmedic View Post

All waxed up!
mighty fine

Old 07-29-2018, 07:19 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Looks good!! Nice station.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:31 PM
afmedic
Elder User
My orion egr delete came in the other day. Gotta find time to put it on. I also found the service manual for this year truck so now I'm armed with the same manuals for techs are and I'm good to go!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me 6.4!

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: