New to me 6.4! - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New to me 6.4!

Old 08-12-2018, 09:39 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Ordered a new radiator. Replaced all mounts and everything. Leaking two days later. Warranties the part and got to do it again. Also reccomend to install a front hitch. They are cheap and give the front frame rails some ridgeity.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:07 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Yep

install a front hitch

had 3 superduties with front hitched and never replaced a radiator.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
I disagree, No issues Seth. But if you replaced the components you say you did..................you'll have the same clock and hopefully with better quality then oem. I'm on the first since the leak at 123. Did all rubber all the way down. If it frocks up, I'll replace it, but if the first lasted 123k Don't think I'll see that.

I see your going all in on the therms and pump/

Not alot of fte's posting this on the 6.4 door.

I know you and follow you on the 7/3 page as I still have both.

Please inspire us/this crew with pix of your dealings if you have an op.

Denny ( I have a new spare in the box in the garage truss, JIC.....LOL)

Old 08-17-2018, 06:25 PM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
I should have taken more pictures but I didn't. I got like 2. And neither one is very good! I wanted to have it together this morning to take to the equine rescue where we went to adopt 2 horses, but it wasnt so we took the trusty 7.3L dually!

got her back on the road today. I replaced the radiator, the core support bushings, the thermostats, and did my egr and egr cooler delete. I got the bushings out in about 10 minutes but I hat to cut them. I dont know how i would have completed the task with the radiator still in place. I tore it down and did all my other work (bushings and egr delete) for the extra room and it was still tight. I wouldn't want to do that with the truck still together. In hind sight, the bumper didn't have to come off with the radiator out for the core support bushings. Removing the plastic locators for the lower radiator mounts made the captured nut perfectly visible for removal and a sawzall made quick work of the bushing.

the egr delete was a pain in the rear but it's done. The engine bay looks much more open now and I dont have to worry about a cooler failing. When I started the truck back up I had a CEL so I had to re download the tune from the mini maxx and it went away.

the upper radiator hose was pissing coolant everywhere so I headed to the dealership to get a replacement for about 8 bucks (ripoff! But I needed it)

Finished flushing and filling the coolant and I was off to work...until I hit about 10 pounds of boost and blew off a CAC tube boot from the intercooler...limped back home (I was 2 driveways away from the farm) to get windex and an 11mm socket. Back on the road. 35 pounds of boost and everything is holding great!

no more coolant leak, no more annoying clunk in the front end, and no more stupid egr coolers!

Almost back together

Old 08-18-2018, 01:00 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice job. Memories I don’t miss. Looks like you have a nice place to work which makes it nice for sure.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:50 PM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
I have about 3500 square feet of garage which is really nice!

my woman just took the truck on a trip to Georgia. 10 hours 1 way, and came back yesterday. 20 hours of driving, several hundred miles, and the coolant stayed perfectly level, no leaks, no issues, no nothing! I was worried about it with all the work I just did but it did great.

only problem was the air filter warning came on but I walked her through how to reset it and she was good

Old 08-22-2018, 10:49 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Originally Posted by afmedic View Post

only problem was the air filter warning came on but I walked her through how to reset it and she was good
Tell her to take her foot out of it. My 6.4 could move that filter minder pretty easy with a WOT RUN.

On a side note 3,500 square feet of garage spaces makes my 400 sq/ft garage not even worth mentioning.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:52 PM
afmedic
Elder User
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post

Tell her to take her foot out of it. My 6.4 could move that filter minder pretty easy with a WOT RUN.

On a side note 3,500 square feet of garage spaces makes my 400 sq/ft garage not even worth mentioning.
that was the first thing I asked her. It does have kind of a small filter on it. She said she wasnt getting on it at the time

Old 08-23-2018, 12:42 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Originally Posted by afmedic View Post
that was the first thing I asked her. It does have kind of a small filter on it. She said she wasnt getting on it at the time
Likely story

Old 08-23-2018, 08:24 AM
afmedic
Elder User
I'm almost 100 percent certain she was gettin in it pretty hard when it did it. She was giving her brother a ride to check out the truck...no biggie but I still want a bigger air filter! I dont think you could cram the 6637 in here though! Haha

Old 08-23-2018, 08:27 AM
afmedic
Elder User
I definitely lucked out on the place I am at. I have a ginormous garage, attached to about 800 square feet of house. It's just a one bedroom, but it works fine. Theres also an overhang on the side of the garage that is 30 feet wide and 50 feet deep and closed on 3 sides.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:18 PM
afmedic
Elder User
Well I've got her to put in some work since all of the maintenance I did. A 3.5 hour round trip with a gooseneck stock trailer to pick up our horses, and now a 10 hour trip to Georgia with a flatbed. Getting ready to make the 10 hour trip back home with a car on the trailer.

she runs like a champ! Even through the mountains the EGT was rarely at 1000 and never over 1100. It did weird me out to see it at 90 degrees while coasting down a pretty long steep grade. Got almost 18 mpg hand calculated with the empty trailer. No codes and no problems!

Old 09-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Glad she is running well for you.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:19 PM
afmedic
Elder User

Old 09-12-2018, 09:10 AM
afmedic
Elder User
Well I made it back to kentucky. The only issue I had was with a dry rotted valve stem letting go when I stopped for fuel. I put my spare on and limped to a tire center and they had me back on the road an hour later and 14 dollars poorer. Not too bad all things considered. This truck pulls like a dream. I forgot I had a trailer a couple times. Definitely no shortage of power!

Dirty spare!
I certainly wish I had checked the pressure in the spare prior to the trip but it's good now.

the coolant never went over 197 degrees, the oil temp never went over 207, and the egt never went over 1000. I have to say, I'm impressed with this truck a lot. Much smoother and quieter and more powerful than my 7.3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me 6.4!

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: