New to me 6.4! - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New to me 6.4!

Old 08-03-2018, 02:22 PM
fordboy2
Posting Guru
fordboy2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fordboy2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks nice afmedic, familiar with you from the 7.3 forum. I’m considering a new truck too but leaning towards a 6.7.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:12 PM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
I really wanted a 6.7, but I cant afford one right now. We have one at work and it is awesome! I love my 6.4 so far, we will see how long that lasts lol. It's a used truck so I've already found a bunch of stuff that needs to be replaced or fixed

-rear shock bushings are gone and clunks
-passenger side blend door wont go to AC
-drivers side blend door wont go to heat
-small leak from front main seal
-doesnt have cab lights! (Personal preference!)
-front end noise that I have yet to find

hopefully I wont be finding too much more.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:28 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
That comfort list would be the least of my concerns

depending on the miles and hours , I would be questioning what services past were not done

im paranoid about that kind of stuff and unless I have proof of past services, I change all fluids and all filters ASAP .

proceed with caution.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:39 PM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
Is there a way to see if it has been studded without taking the valve cover off? That would give an idea as to how it was treated/taken care of in its past I would think.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:15 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by afmedic View Post
Is there a way to see if it has been studded without taking the valve cover off? That would give an idea as to how it was treated/taken care of in its past I would think.

stock 6.4 engines rarely have head gasket problems....the head gasket problems are mainly on engines that use tuners to advance the timing .

the 6.4 has more propensity for fuels system, cooling system, and lube system problems.

if you need more power, methonal injection using a 5 gallon tank, 3 250ml nozzles that kicking at 4lbs of boost would be better than a tuner as the methonal injection cools, cleans, provides more power with out having to advance the timing.

so low priority on arp studs

higher oriority on oil bypass filters, cooling system filters, etc

Old 08-05-2018, 05:40 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
I really wanted a 6.7, but I cant afford one right now. We have one at work and it is awesome! I love my 6.4 so far, we will see how long that lasts lol. It's a used truck so I've already found a bunch of stuff that needs to be replaced or fixed

-rear shock bushings are gone and clunks
-passenger side blend door wont go to AC
-drivers side blend door wont go to heat
-small leak from front main seal
-doesnt have cab lights! (Personal preference!)
-front end noise that I have yet to find

hopefully I wont be finding too much more.
The issue highlighted in bold above, will require instrument panel removal to access and replace the driver side blend door actuator.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:26 PM
afmedic
Elder User
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
The issue highlighted in bold above, will require instrument panel removal to access and replace the driver side blend door actuator.
by instrument panel do you mean gauge cluster or dashboard? I've pulled many a dash for heater cores and blend doors but it's been a while since I worked at the dealer****

Old 08-05-2018, 06:28 PM
afmedic
Elder User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post

stock 6.4 engines rarely have head gasket problems....the head gasket problems are mainly on engines that use tuners to advance the timing .

the 6.4 has more propensity for fuels system, cooling system, and lube system problems.

if you need more power, methonal injection using a 5 gallon tank, 3 250ml nozzles that kicking at 4lbs of boost would be better than a tuner as the methonal injection cools, cleans, provides more power with out having to advance the timing.

so low priority on arp studs

higher oriority on oil bypass filters, cooling system filters, etc

this one has a hs mini maxx tuner on it for the dpf delete. It was turned all the way up when I got it. I reprogrammed it on the mildest tune, and keep it on stock or tow. I dont do any hot rodding with it and never will!

Old 08-05-2018, 07:03 PM
sxrfun
Elder User
sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post

Drivers side blend door actuator can be done without dash removal. I did mine 2 years ago I think I think it was now............Couple wooden wedges (you prob have some in your gear/on your helmet to hold doors open)....a wrench, excellent finger/screw retention abilities and contorting yourself in the passenger side floor to reach actuator. I did a write up somewhere...will try and find it for ya.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:21 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
this one has a hs mini maxx tuner on it for the dpf delete. It was turned all the way up when I got it. I reprogrammed it on the mildest tune, and keep it on stock or tow. I dont do any hot rodding with it and never will!
Finally somebody gets it. Good on ya. The truck should do you well.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:34 PM
afmedic
Elder User
I also set it to defuel if coolant is less than 180 degrees or boost goes above 38 psi. Figured that would keep it from running a hot tune if the wifey jumps in and hits the wrong button before its warmed up, and itll keep me from too much boost when I'm passing someone. Just spitballing since I didn't do a whole lot of research on the best defueling parameters, but I feel like that's a good start.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:51 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
If my memory serves me right be cautious in the boost area. These engines have crazy boost especially chipped. If you have completely deleted the coolers not just turned them off, then the pathway for the excess boost is now gone and it back feeds through the turbo. A lot of guys run it this way including me when I had my truck, however I have heard it is possible to damage the turbos so just be careful.

I hope i remembered that correctly. If not someone will correct me

Old 08-12-2018, 08:35 AM
afmedic
Elder User
My thread in the 7.3 forum "always something but I love her anyway" seems to fit for the new girl too. While trying to replace my worn drag link (which I still cant get out btw) I noticed that my radiator is leaking. Checked it real good and I have the updated hoses that arent leaking. After researching I found that worn radiator support bushings can cause a cracked radiator...they're shot too. So I ordered a new radiator, core support bushings, and thermostats since I'll have the system open. I'm also going to take this opportunity to do my egr cooler delete.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
The awesome radiator job. I had the privedgle to do mine twice!! I will link my thread. It’s up to you but I would take the opportunity to replace everything on the front end because it will be wide open and easy to get too. Waterpump, belts, tensioners, pulleys, etc. I have all the part numbers in my thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html

Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 PM
afmedic
Elder User
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
The awesome radiator job. I had the privedgle to do mine twice!! I will link my thread. Itís up to you but I would take the opportunity to replace everything on the front end because it will be wide open and easy to get too. Waterpump, belts, tensioners, pulleys, etc. I have all the part numbers in my thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html
whyd you have to do it twice? Same spot leaking both times? I'm fairly certain mine is leaking because the radiator support mounts are shot. Hopefully replacing those at the same time will keep it from happening again any time soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me 6.4!

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: