2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Air Spring System Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:16 PM
MX-Dad
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Spring System Help

I just had front & rear shocks replaced... along with new air springs in the rear. Mechanic cannot get air springs to re-inflate. He does hear the compressor run.
He did shut the system off (on the message center before starting).
And he did turn it back on after the install.

The compressor does run, so it must be a leak someplace... right?

Old 07-26-2018, 11:20 AM
luxcar
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MX-Dad
I just had front & rear shocks replaced... along with new air springs in the rear. Mechanic cannot get air springs to re-inflate. He does hear the compressor run.
He did shut the system off (on the message center before starting).
And he did turn it back on after the install.

The compressor does run, so it must be a leak someplace... right?
Most probably a leak. I had same problem after I replaced front and rear shocks on my 2012 Navigator. Turned out the mechanic did not put seals in new air springs. Once air suspension error shows up the air compressor will not start.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:09 PM
MX-Dad
New User
Seals were not installed on the shocks (huge leak)

Seals were not installed on the shocks (huge leak). So problem found. The mechanic will have to pull it apart and put them in. He could have saved some time with a bit of reading. There were instructions in the replacement airspring cartons, but you know us men. Anyway... not sure if the air suspension error showed up yet. Hopefully not.

IF so... how does one clear the "AIR SUSPENSION ERROR", so the compressor will operate again?

Old 07-26-2018, 04:07 PM
luxcar
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MX-Dad
Seals were not installed on the shocks (huge leak). So problem found. The mechanic will have to pull it apart and put them in. He could have saved some time with a bit of reading. There were instructions in the replacement airspring cartons, but you know us men. Anyway... not sure if the air suspension error showed up yet. Hopefully not.

IF so... how does one clear the "AIR SUSPENSION ERROR", so the compressor will operate again?
I took it to dealer for diagnostic. They found the reason (missing seals), installed new ones and cleared the error. You can try disconnecting the battery after proper installation.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:12 PM
MX-Dad
New User
Thanks... we'll try that if needed.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:13 PM
MX-Dad
New User
O-Ring seals were put in, and all is well. Navigator is riding a proper height and the new shocks and struts are making for a much nicer ride. Thanks to all who read and responded!

Old 02-09-2019, 07:53 AM
DaveStad
New User
I purchased replacement air bags for my 2007 Expedition EL 4x4, then sent them back when I found a company that sold a complete assembly with new Ford Shocks. Just looked like too many things could go wrong installing those o-rings.

I then had a combine failure of the compressor and solenoid valve on the inlet to the airbag so I decided to swap over to springs. So I have 2 new (less than 5k miles) airbag with shock assemblies up for sale.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:30 AM
MX-Dad
New User
With new shocks?

Originally Posted by DaveStad
I purchased replacement air bags for my 2007 Expedition EL 4x4, then sent them back when I found a company that sold a complete assembly with new Ford Shocks. Just looked like too many things could go wrong installing those o-rings.
I then had a combine failure of the compressor and solenoid valve on the inlet to the airbag so I decided to swap over to springs. So I have 2 new (less than 5k miles) airbag with shock assemblies up for sale.
When I did my rear springs & shocks, I spent many hours researching and searching for parts suppliers. I only found 1 supplier (Suncore Industries) that sold complete units, and also found that they will buy your old cores (must be complete). After talking with customer support, they indicated their complete units use those cores primarily for the shocks that are used in the "complete units" they resell... They also confirmed the shocks cannot be internally reconditioned, so it is assumed they are only cleaned up cosmetically, and outfitted with new rubber isolators. That was a deal breaker for me, because I didn't want to pay for, or install, used shocks as they simply wear out. I did buy the Suncore Air Springs, and they look like high quality parts, and have worked out just fine so far. I do still have a small air leak someplace in the system, but will track that down once the weather improves here in WI. Dave, out of curiosity, what brand are the units you are selling?

Old 02-11-2019, 11:15 AM
scnav
New User
Originally Posted by luxcar
I took it to dealer for diagnostic. They found the reason (missing seals), installed new ones and cleared the error. You can try disconnecting the battery after proper installation.
interested in this thread and the experience of others here, as we have had a recent failure of our system , last Wednesday had new tires put on it and the shop did not turn the air ride OFF, so when they dropped it to the ground it was airless and the compressor did not kick back on and fill them up! so its a low rider now, and that's not a good thing. My initial thought was it might be the ride level sensors in rear, so I replaced them but no go, The compressor actually ran yesterday after care was turned on and off but only for 20 seconds and the air bags didn't inflate so either I have a broken air line, air line leak , solenoids not opening to let air in or both air bags blew out at the same time, which is not likely. Its at the dealer now getting the dx. I probably could have saved a bunch of time and trouble and just put rear conversion springs on it but I really like the ride both when towing and not with the air bag system.
Anyone else has info to add that would be great but if you (davestad) are selling those bags I might be interested depending on what the diagnosis is for my system.

Phil

Old 02-14-2019, 09:26 PM
DaveStad
New User
Mine are Suncore. I did not know that about them reusing old shocks. Are you 100% sure of that?

Old 02-14-2019, 09:26 PM
DaveStad
New User
scnav $100 each

Old 02-16-2019, 04:15 PM
scnav
New User
airbags

thats very fair. i found today that i have a compressor that runs. but is bad and produces no air pressure so i am replacing this tuesday. once i do that i can recheck the system, if i then have issues with bags i would consider buying these. Suncore seems to have very good prices $215 - a $50 core refund, pretty good deal if you need these.
wish me luck !