1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone upgrade calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:08 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Anyone upgrade calipers?

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone's decided their brakes needed upgrading. I haul a lot of trailers for work and my rv when on holidays. I have a 2012 F-350 Crewcab with a bit of a lift. Already upgraded my rotors to slotted,cross drilled with upgraded pads. I believe it is a bit better but would like to know if anyone's done their calipers? This would be the ultimate obviously. Now I've looked into Brembo upgrades but think I would have to sell the truck to afford them lol. Suggestions appreciated. Cheers.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:16 AM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
Sorry, I would not consider cross-drilled rotors an upgrade. They will eventually crack due to the high heat. I have seen ‘track cars’ (I use that term lightly) have their rotors crack during the cool-down process.

— Dave

Old 07-24-2018, 11:25 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Djosbun
Sorry, I would not consider cross-drilled rotors an upgrade. They will eventually crack due to the high heat. I have seen ‘track cars’ (I use that term lightly) have their rotors crack during the cool-down process.

— Dave
You know Dave I have or had concerns about that too. That was a big deal when I bought them. I was assured they would not crack and they guaranteed that. If they do they would replace. I check my rotors regularly and so far so good.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:31 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Have you checked SSBC?

I've seen other members post about them here on FTE.

http://ssbrakes.com/

Old 07-25-2018, 01:35 PM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen cross drilled rotors crack. If you're looking to dissipate heat go with slotted or dimpled and slotted rotors. I looked last year for upgraded calipers for the 11 - 16 SD. The only thing I could find was 4k for a 3 piston caliper. From what I read aftermarket companies can't come up with a cost effective caliper that out performs the factory dual piston caliper. I went with the slotted "Frozen Rotors" and Hawk Pads. I also replaced all of my lines with TWPs stainless steel lines. If you find a caliper let me know, I would be interested in a 3 or 4 piston caliper.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:16 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Chuck-B
I've seen cross drilled rotors crack. If you're looking to dissipate heat go with slotted or dimpled and slotted rotors. I looked last year for upgraded calipers for the 11 - 16 SD. The only thing I could find was 4k for a 3 piston caliper. From what I read aftermarket companies can't come up with a cost effective caliper that out performs the factory dual piston caliper. I went with the slotted "Frozen Rotors" and Hawk Pads. I also replaced all of my lines with TWPs stainless steel lines. If you find a caliper let me know, I would be interested in a 3 or 4 piston caliper.

I think Wilwood makes one. Actually, on my opening thread I meant to say Wilwood but Brembo came up. I priced Wilwood. The price I got up here was like $2200. Canadian! That's some heavy duty cash.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:01 AM
saratoga2011
More Turbo
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
You can always get the stock upgraded brackets, calipers and rotors from a 13+ super duty if you want to do something without dropping a wad of cash. They upgraded to 14.28" rotors all the way around from 13.6" on the 11-12 trucks.

Pretty sure you need 18" wheels to clear them however - don't quote me on that.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
Many years ago an old friend was complaining about the braking performance of his Dodge 1500. I convinced him to NOT use higher temp pads (it was just a street driver and no heavy towing) and to replace his shock absorbers. He ended up a satisfied ‘customer’, as the shocks had over 100k miles on them and on heavy braking the tires weren’t held firmly to the road surface. The OEM brake pad gave much better performance at all temperatures.

Many people seem to forget how important shocks are to braking performance.

— Dave

Old 07-26-2018, 07:59 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I stall braided stainless hoses, do a complete fluid flush adjust the pushrod from the brake booster. And make sure your trailer brakes are adjusted correctly and working, your truck shouldn't stop the trailer the trailer should stop itself

Old 07-26-2018, 09:35 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
^^^^ This!!

Old 07-27-2018, 10:28 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Have you checked SSBC?

I've seen other members post about them here on FTE.

SSBC Performance Brake Systems
Yes Bently I checked their site. Seems to have a good fit for me. Price not too bad. I will keep it mind thx.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:34 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Originally Posted by saratoga2011
You can always get the stock upgraded brackets, calipers and rotors from a 13+ super duty if you want to do something without dropping a wad of cash. They upgraded to 14.28" rotors all the way around from 13.6" on the 11-12 trucks.

Pretty sure you need 18" wheels to clear them however - don't quote me on that.
This sounds interesting saratoga. SSBC offers 25% more braking for their setup. I'm wondering how the new year Ford upgrade would compare with that?

Old 07-27-2018, 10:39 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Djosbun
Many years ago an old friend was complaining about the braking performance of his Dodge 1500. I convinced him to NOT use higher temp pads (it was just a street driver and no heavy towing) and to replace his shock absorbers. He ended up a satisfied ‘customer’, as the shocks had over 100k miles on them and on heavy braking the tires weren’t held firmly to the road surface. The OEM brake pad gave much better performance at all temperatures.

Many people seem to forget how important shocks are to braking performance.

— Dave
My shocks are fairly new Dave. Although I am wanting to experiment with the dampening, I'm not sure if they are a big concern, yet.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:43 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
I stall braided stainless hoses, do a complete fluid flush adjust the pushrod from the brake booster. And make sure your trailer brakes are adjusted correctly and working, your truck shouldn't stop the trailer the trailer should stop itself
Ya Superduty. I wish the trailer would stop itself a little more. I'm obviously going to have to dig a little deeper into my issues, starting with the trailer itself.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:10 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What SSBC model are you looking at? I go to their site, select 2013 from the drop down, then Ford, all I see is F450s, F550s and Mustang?

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrade calipers?