Anyone using these adapters....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:35 AM
cferguson77
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone using these adapters....

I just bought a new Ford F450. It came with the factory pucks in the bed. I had been using the steel rail mount AUH in my old truck. Found this Reese adapter on etrailer. It looks like it will probably raise the hitch by about two inches. I'm not too concerned about that, more concerned about the build quality and using it with the Andersen

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/RP30156.html

Old 07-24-2018, 12:52 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Not sure what your trailer weight is, however that only has a 20k rating. Here is one with a 25k rating, and 6250lb pin rating:
GM & Ford Underbed Adapter

(note that is a conventional above-bed rail system to the under-bed Ford OEM/Reece puck system, it isn't specific to their TS3 hitch)

At that point I would say the limiting factor would be the under-bed frame system. That manufacturer (Hensley) has an adapter for their TSLB hitch (a 32k hitch), but de-rates it to 25k because of the adapter.
(TSLB adapter is specific to their TSLB hitch - does not use the rail system)

Old 07-24-2018, 01:00 AM
cferguson77
Senior User
Our 5th wheel is 14k. So I'm within the weight limits. Just not sure if these types of adapters are worth it or if I should stop being cheap and just buy a new hitch

Old 07-24-2018, 06:45 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
I'd stick with the AUH, but I am biased. I love the ease of use and the light weight of the Andersen.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:10 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
If all goes as planned later today I'll be doing my first pull with the Anderson system . It attaches to only the center puck with the base covering the remaining 4 pucks (used for typical 5th hitches).
I believe its stated rating is 24K pounds and 4500 pounds vertical weight. I'll be pulling 16K and (assume) the pin to be near 4K once loaded.
One day I may scale it, or I may not. An advantage of having "too much truck".

Old 07-24-2018, 12:02 PM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 530 Likes on 299 Posts
I bought this one.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RV/DM6175.html

More expensive but looks better built to me and also looks "lower".

Old 07-24-2018, 04:12 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
AUH all the way...

There are now two big named companies in towing 5th wheels that have designed their own version of the AUH.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:36 PM
cferguson77
Senior User
Thanks everyone for the responses. Been using the AUH for over a year now in the old truck and love it! Just wasn't sure about using the puck adapter with it.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:09 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
their own version of the AUH = Anderson Ultimate Hitch ????

I used one today, my first pull with it (16K). Neither impressed (nor depressed), it was just another tool; but I do like it's lightness, easily remove-ability, and possible angle of hitching/ unhitching - meaning it may grow on me as I use those features.

Speaking of it I just remembered, I need to remove my rear seat center headrest, it blocked my view while hitching; I don't believe my two dogs will care.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:28 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by Army RET
their own version of the AUH = Anderson Ultimate Hitch ????

I used one today, my first pull with it (16K). Neither impressed (nor depressed), it was just another tool; but I do like it's lightness, easily remove-ability, and possible angle of hitching/ unhitching - meaning it may grow on me as I use those features.

Speaking of it I just remembered, I need to remove my rear seat center headrest, it blocked my view while hitching; I don't believe my two dogs will care.
Yes, the two companies have designed triangle hitches for 5th wheels that are just different enough to not encroach on patent rights. I saw one about a year ago, then saw another version from a different company in one of the recent Trailer Life magazine.

I like the AUH because it is simple and does not chuck when towing. Light weight, easy hook up and go...

Old 07-27-2018, 04:31 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use that Reese adapter. Using it and moving to a truck with a higher ride height, I had to lower the head of my hitch one hole. It was supposed to be a temporary setup until I could put some money back for a new hitch. I've been using it for 2 years now with no issues at all. Probably use this setup until the hitch legitimately needs replaced.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:10 PM
Jwoliver
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cferguson77
Our 5th wheel is 14k. So I'm within the weight limits. Just not sure if these types of adapters are worth it or if I should stop being cheap and just buy a new hitch

Yes, get a new hitch. Ford's factory puck system is way better than those rails and much easier to use, not to mention when the hitch is removed you get a completely empty and flush bed.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:59 AM
cferguson77
Senior User
That's exactly what I ended up doing Thought about going with the Andersen that attached to the gooseneck ball but I didn't like the thought of the corner pushing through the aluminum bed. I know some have put the rubber mat material under the corners but I just ended up getting a standard 5th wheel hitch I miss the ease of moving the Andersen in and out of the bed, but I do like having a clean bed.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 PM
Edd505
More Turbo
Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...BWRVK3300.html
Originally Posted by cferguson77
That's exactly what I ended up doing Thought about going with the Andersen that attached to the gooseneck ball but I didn't like the thought of the corner pushing through the aluminum bed. I know some have put the rubber mat material under the corners but I just ended up getting a standard 5th wheel hitch I miss the ease of moving the Andersen in and out of the bed, but I do like having a clean bed.
Your in a 450, save your adapter money and get a B&W Companion, I have towed with a 16KReese & 26KHusky and currently use the B&W in an F350. It is by far the smoothest towing and easiest to release than any of them. Removes by rotating the 4 locking lugs and lift, come out in two pieces. There is zero slop for/aft, drops right into the Factory Pucks. Needs assembled, 30 minutes, and drop it in. https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...BWRVK3300.html

Old 11-08-2018, 07:19 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Edd505
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...BWRVK3300.html

Your in a 450, save your adapter money and get a B&W Companion, I have towed with a 16KReese & 26KHusky and currently use the B&W in an F350. It is by far the smoothest towing and easiest to release than any of them. Removes by rotating the 4 locking lugs and lift, come out in two pieces. There is zero slop for/aft, drops right into the Factory Pucks. Needs assembled, 30 minutes, and drop it in. https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...BWRVK3300.html
The internet says your hitch weighs in at OVER 200 pounds (divided over two pieces), that's more than I want to wrangle in/out of my bed. The AUH weighs just 1/5 that, 40 pounds.

Quick Reply: Anyone using these adapters....