2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Looking for Tire Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:57 AM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Tire Guidance

I have a 2017 F350 SRW LB 4WD Lariat that is used mostly for towing my 5th Wheel Trailer and I'm starting the search to replace the 18" stock tires. The stock tires have a load rating of E and I would like to move up to a load rating of G without having to get new rims. I've searched multiple on-line sites but can't seem to find what I am looking for. It is possible that the stock tires can be replaced with tires that have different dimensions yet still fit on the stock rims?

Thanks in advance for the guidance and education I know I am about to receive. :-)

Old 07-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Kreep
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I confess I'm a little confused by the newer tire ratings, the older C, D, E, F... system was pretty easy to understand. Here is a thread that might help with your education:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...re-for-me.html

You don't mention which of the 18" tires you currently have or why you want to replace with Load Range G tires, but the only way I know to achieve this is with 19.5" wheels such as the American Force Beast Super Single (SS8). I'm not sure which rear axle you have but if its the M275 you might want to confirm the center caps will work.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:35 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Why the move to G from E?

Old 07-24-2018, 09:50 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The G tires will be more solid towing your fiver, but they will ride terrible, even E rated need to be aired down a bit or they are to stiff unloaded. The other problem with G tires are the limited selection, in your rim size especially, I would think that’s 19.5 “ 10 bolt territory’s. I would reconsider, once you see how few options there are in your rim size and go back to E. there are tones of threads on your selection options, and who is happy with what, how long they last. Out of interest what tire do you have now?

Old 07-24-2018, 04:51 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Kreep
I confess I'm a little confused by the newer tire ratings, the older C, D, E, F... system was pretty easy to understand. Here is a thread that might help with your education:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...re-for-me.html

You don't mention which of the 18" tires you currently have or why you want to replace with Load Range G tires, but the only way I know to achieve this is with 19.5" wheels such as the American Force Beast Super Single (SS8). I'm not sure which rear axle you have but if its the M275 you might want to confirm the center caps will work.
I have the standard 18" tire that comes with the truck. I want to move to a Long Range G because the trailer I tow is almost 16k and while that load is within specs for the tires that I have, a little extra capacity is always a good thing. As for Load Range G having to be 19.5's the tires on my Trailer are 16" LT's (Goodyear G614s) and they are load range G so I was hoping that I could find some in an 18".

Old 07-24-2018, 04:52 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Why the move to G from E?
The trailer I tow is almost 16k and while the load is within specs for the tires I would like a little extra safety margin.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by mhoefer
The G tires will be more solid towing your fiver, but they will ride terrible, even E rated need to be aired down a bit or they are to stiff unloaded. The other problem with G tires are the limited selection, in your rim size especially, I would think that’s 19.5 “ 10 bolt territory’s. I would reconsider, once you see how few options there are in your rim size and go back to E. there are tones of threads on your selection options, and who is happy with what, how long they last. Out of interest what tire do you have now?
I am finding exactly what you said. Not available in an 18" and I don't want to go to new wheels, etc. I am only considering this for a bit of extra safety margin so it would be a desire, not a requirement. I don't have the truck with me right now so I can't see what make is on them but I know with my 2012 F350 the original tires were Michelin. As far as the ride, to me a 350 is a truck made for work so if it is a bit rough when empty that's fine. But when you put around 3k in the bed, its amazing how smooth the ride gets. :-)

Old 07-24-2018, 05:01 PM
adbscu
Senior User
G rated tires need 110psi, i don't think the truck stock rims can handle that.

Another thing to note about G tires:

- they are heavy so your ride will also further deteriorate...
-they might only have a 75mph speed limit'

Old 07-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Kreep
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Greengas
I have the standard 18" tire that comes with the truck. I want to move to a Long Range G because the trailer I tow is almost 16k and while that load is within specs for the tires that I have, a little extra capacity is always a good thing. As for Load Range G having to be 19.5's the tires on my Trailer are 16" LT's (Goodyear G614s) and they are load range G so I was hoping that I could find some in an 18".
The reason I ask is that LT275/65R18 (3,415 lb. rating) all-season tires come standard while LT275/70R18 (3,640 lb. rating) all terrains are optional. So assuming you have the all-season tires you could pick up 450 lbs of extra capacity right there. The G614s on your trailer are an oddball. I am not aware of any 18" tires with load range G. I recently learned that what really matters is the "Load Index" the manufacturers are currently using (see the link I shared).

Old 07-24-2018, 05:36 PM
Kreep
Mountain Pass
I am finding exactly what you said. Not available in an 18" and I don't want to go to new wheels, etc. I am only considering this for a bit of extra safety margin so it would be a desire, not a requirement. I don't have the truck with me right now so I can't see what make is on them but I know with my 2012 F350 the original tires were Michelin. As far as the ride, to me a 350 is a truck made for work so if it is a bit rough when empty that's fine. But when you put around 3k in the bed, its amazing how smooth the ride gets. :-)
Without buying new wheels, about the only thing to do is move up a tire size or two. For example a 285/75R18 or 295/70R18 will fit your 8" wheels fine and both have a weight rating of 4,080 lbs.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:36 PM
wiresLV
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the standard 18" tire that comes with the truck. I want to move to a Long Range G because the trailer I tow is almost 16k and while that load is within specs for the tires that I have, a little extra capacity is always a good thing.
I understand your concerns. I also tow 16K with a SRW and although I have scaled my rig and I'm under the ratings, when it's 100+ degrees outside I always have my tires in the back of my mind.

You could consider going up to a 295/70R18. If you have the stock 275/70R18s then these would be approximately 0.8" wider and 1.1" taller and should be compatible with the factory wheels. Something like the Michelin Defender LTX in a 295/70R18 is rated for 4080 lbs which would provide additional reserve capacity versus the stock 275/70R18 3640 lbs capacity.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 PM
CopterPilot
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep in mind the stock wheels have a load rating of 3640 so really a tire rated above that would be a plus for safety but you would still be limited by the wheels. That being said
I have 295/70R18 sized Toyo AT2's with the load rating of 4080 lbs. They ride great and inspire extra confidence.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:43 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Kreep
Without buying new wheels, about the only thing to do is move up a tire size or two. For example a 285/75R18 or 295/70R18 will fit your 8" wheels fine and both have a weight rating of 4,080 lbs.
That is exactly what I'm looking for. A size increase that allows me to keep my stock wheels yet gives me a bit more weight allowance. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2018, 08:43 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by CopterPilot
Keep in mind the stock wheels have a load rating of 3640 so really a tire rated above that would be a plus for safety but you would still be limited by the wheels. That being said
I have 295/70R18 sized Toyo AT2's with the load rating of 4080 lbs. They ride great and inspire extra confidence.
Thanks so much. That is the guidance I'm looking for.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:56 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I like the Good Year Kevlar on my 18”wheel from stock, but I really think your best bet is to move up up a size for the 4000 lb rating. I like the Toyo tires, Cooper STT Pro and the good Year Duratrcs. The duratracs add snowflake winter capable and they are much tougher and handle gravel and rough roads better. Had them on my 2005 SD. Your awfully close to your ratings with a GVW of 16,000 lbs on the trailer even empty unloaded, if this is a single wheel F350.

after tires, I would also consider air bags.

what is the model of trailer and is it three axles?

TP!S ont he truck hpgonna be handy, consider adding to the he trailer as well. It can warn you before the trouble starts. That’s a big rig.

Quick Reply: Looking for Tire Guidance