Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding cruise / speed control to an XL (PICS!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 06:17 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding cruise / speed control to an XL (PICS!!!)

Disclaimer: Everything written here is correct to the best of my knowledge, but your mileage may vary.

So I bought my truck a few years ago, knowing it didn't have cruise control, and not caring since it wasn't going to be a daily driver. Fast forward to my current situation, and it looks like it will be a daily driver for the next few months... and cruise control would be very desirable to me. So, after researching extensively on FTE, I had an idea of what it would take to swap OEM cruise control components into my base model truck. I also have access to several of the PullAPart locations in Georgia and South Carolina, which often have OBS Fords in decent condition. I read that someone had successfully swapped a servo, jumpered the brake switch with a SPOUT connector, and swapped a steering column/wheel to gain cruise control... I was hoping to just swap the wheel, which is what I did.

Here is the drivers side fender of my '95 F-150 XL, the cruise control harness is plugged into a cap that is exactly where the servo needs to bolt on...

Stock 1995 XL cruise / speed control harness location.

After sourcing a servo (from a '93, so I couldn't use the wheel because it lacked an airbag) I installed the servo right where the harness in the previous picture was attached. The servo bracket slides up behind the fender bracket, and the bolts thread into the servo bracket... no nuts are needed...

Cruise / speed control servo installed.

Cruise / speed control servo harness.

Cruise / speed control servo installed and harness connected.

Then, using a spare SPOUT connector (thanks PullAPart!) I jumpered the brake switch harness, which was located on a little clip right below where the servo mounts...

Brake switch harness that needs to be jumpered on non-cruise trucks.

Brake switch harness that needs to be jumpered on non-cruise trucks, removed from bracket.

Brake switch harness that needs to be jumpered on non-cruise trucks, removed from bracket, and jumpered with a spare SPOUT connector.

Now I needed to attach the throttle cable from the servo to the existing throttle cable, it's just a plastic clip that snaps over the regular cable...

You can see the slot to the right of the throttle cable, that's where the servo linkage goes.

Servo linkage clip going into slot next to throttle cable.

Servo linkage next to throttle, not connected.

Servo linkage almost connected to throttle.

Servo linkage snapped onto throttle.

Servo linkage connected to the throttle cable.

Servo linkage connected to the throttle cable.

Now we're done under the hood! All that's left is to swap in a steering wheel with the cruise control buttons! I didn't take pictures of this step by step, but it's pretty simple. You'll need to disconnect the battery (safety first!), wait a couple minutes, and then use a small socket (8mm?) to remove the four nuts holding the airbag on. Once they're removed, disconnect the airbag harness and set the airbag aside. Next you'll need a 15mm socket to loosen the center bolt for the wheel, mine wasn't too difficult to remove, nor were the two I took from two different PullAParts. You'll also need to disconnect the harness that connects to the steering wheel from the clock spring, currently only working your horn.

Close up of the buttons / wiring on a 1995 cruise / speed control wheel.

Close up of the buttons / wiring on my stock wheel.

Now is when a steering wheel puller comes in handy... I didn't have one at the first PullAPart... and it was a comedy of errors watching me try to remove the wheel from the column... I was successful in the end, but I vowed to never try again without a puller. So when I came across another wheel a few days later (at a different PullAPart) I ran to Advance Auto and rented a puller kit... and life was good. It took about 45 seconds to pop the wheel off using the puller, and I wasn't even sweating!!! Now you need to install the new wheel, not rocket science, it's two wiring harnesses and a bolt (plus four nuts on the airbag). Voila! Connect your battery and go for a drive!

Stock 1995 XL cruise / speed control wheel installed in my 1995 XL.

The first wheel I pulled was a "nicer" leather wrapped wheel out of a high-trim truck... but the leather up top was torn up.

Cruise / speed control wheel out of a 1995 XLT.

The wheel I actually installed came from an XL... so it's the plain-Jane version... but in very good condition. I think I may take my time re-wrapping the first wheel, and swap it in when it is done, then sell the current wheel on eBay. Best of luck to you all! I hope this clears up any confusion about adding cruise / speed control to a base model!

Old 07-21-2018, 06:35 PM
herbey123
New User
wow nice, did you run into any problems?

Old 07-21-2018, 10:39 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Originally Posted by herbey123
wow nice, did you run into any problems?
Surprisingly no, I am confident that someone with average (changes their own oil) skills could do this in half an hour (if they rent a steering wheel puller).

Old 07-22-2018, 10:11 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Nice write up. This should be a made a sticky before it is is loaded with unnecessary crap

Old 07-22-2018, 11:53 AM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts
Yeah - what Brad said.

LSC - great info that'll definitely help me out in the future. I have a question about compatibility though. I've got a '96, what cruise control module and steering wheels should I be looking for, and will any years cross over?

Old 07-22-2018, 12:31 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Originally Posted by evan_nugget
Yeah - what Brad said.

LSC - great info that'll definitely help me out in the future. I have a question about compatibility though. I've got a '96, what cruise control module and steering wheels should I be looking for, and will any years cross over?
I believe that the servo from almost any Ford would work, certainly the '92-'96 F-150 servos. I don't know if the 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder had different cable lengths though. The steering wheel would need to be from a '94-'96 so that you could swap your airbag, the '93 and earlier didn't have airbags, nor did the F-250/350's. The servo I used is from a '93, and it works on my '95 using a steering wheel from a '95 with my factory airbag transferred over.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:00 AM
Ruckin69
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write-up in a very easy conversion.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:57 PM
SpeedThrills
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write-up. Thank you LSCRX. Very well described and written.

I was trying to buy the parts from a craigslist ad (parts truck). Guy gave me a few 3 word replies over a week. UGH!

I just got back from a junk yard. I got the servo, wheel, and a spout connector. $29.86 inc. tax! (From a Bronco.) I put them on in the JY parking lot and "cruised" home! My wheel was leather covered, and damaged. I cut the leather off, and there's a regular wheel under it.

My F150 has a 4.9 six. The Eddie Bauer Bronco had an 8 cyl. Cable length is perfect.

My wife and I are going to Chicago, western North Carolina and Ocracoke NC, this summer. The cruise is just what the road trippers ordered!

Old 06-27-2019, 01:21 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Originally Posted by SpeedThrills
Great write-up. Thank you LSCRX. Very well described and written.
Thanks! I took what I learned from about 10 different threads and took pictures of my own install... glad it helped you!

I can live without a lot of things, but I need cruise control to combat my natural inclination to speed

Old 12-26-2019, 07:16 PM
saguaro_squeezer
New User
HI LSCRX. Thanks for this writeup. I found the parts and will be trying this on my 96 XL next week.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:22 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Originally Posted by saguaro_squeezer
HI LSCRX. Thanks for this writeup. I found the parts and will be trying this on my 96 XL next week.
I'm glad you liked it! Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 12-27-2019, 07:30 AM
saguaro_squeezer
New User
I do have one question. Here is a picture of my parts but the servo's cable seems really long. Was yours that long?

Old 12-27-2019, 10:37 AM
LSCRX
Tuned
Yeah, it has to reach from your drivers side fender all the way over to the passenger side of the throttle. The clip near the end slips into a slot next to the throttle cable in the plastic housing above the throttle. The end of the cruise control cable snaps over the end of the throttle cable, the cable doesn't seem as long once the servo is bolted up :-P

Old 12-28-2019, 06:21 PM
saguaro_squeezer
New User
One other question ... would adding LED taillights affect this?

Old 12-31-2019, 07:47 AM
saguaro_squeezer
New User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LSCRX
Yeah, it has to reach from your drivers side fender all the way over to the passenger side of the throttle. The clip near the end slips into a slot next to the throttle cable in the plastic housing above the throttle. The end of the cruise control cable snaps over the end of the throttle cable, the cable doesn't seem as long once the servo is bolted up :-P
Put the parts in yesterday and works like a champ! This was certainly easier than $300+ for an aftermarket! Thanks again for the super writeup!

Quick Reply: Adding cruise / speed control to an XL (PICS!!!)