A few 5.4L questions - Ticking, Timing, and Plugs - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Reload this Page >

A few 5.4L questions - Ticking, Timing, and Plugs

Notices

Old 07-20-2018, 09:25 PM
TheLariat
New User
TheLariat is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hey all. I just bought a 2007 F150 w\ 130k and have a few questions:
  • The engine constantly makes a ticking sound. The seller and many of the forums mentioned this was simply the 5.4 phaser tick. He claimed he's drove it this way for years and just deals with the tick. I'm not so sure this is just phasers. With phaser tick shouldn't the noise go away? While it's not obnoxiously loud, or banging, it persists at idle and when giving it gas in neutral. When I pass by cars or close walls I can hear the tick when I'm driving. As a guage of loudness if you close the window you can not hear it. Could this be something more serious like lash adjusters? I

Video (1:14)
    Shows cold start, revving, and walking to the cab

• I watched the four part Youtube series on the timing job by FordTechMakuloco. Great video series. Do I really need to get the $800 OEM timing kit or are aftermarket kits just as good? What does this forum recommend?
  • In that series I noticed he removed the entire cam and all 24 rocker followers. I'm not a mechanic by trade but I've done quite a few timing belts and chains in my life. I have never once had to remove a cam or roller followers. I've just lined the marks, popped the belt\chain, and put the new one on. Sure the cam has slipped and likely valves touched the pistons but the engine was not running. I've never had engine damage from this. I would just put the cam back in position. Do I really need to remove the cam and followers or is he just being ultra safe? I am going to swap phasers too.
  • If I have to remove the cam is it a good idea to swap all of the roller followers\lifers or do I only need to swap these if I detect an issue. Once again OEM ford is $400. Can I go aftermarket here.
  • With plugs I have a slight hesitation\miss at light load. The engine will buck once or twice. Idle is not terribly rough but sometimes you can see the engine shake a bit. The seller claimed he swapped the plugs from the original motorcraft ones during a tune up (he mentioned the breaking plugs). He told me his mechanic told him that using any other plugs than the motorcraft ones is asking for issues. I'm considering swapping back to the motorcraft ones. How true is this?

Old 07-21-2018, 05:54 AM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Im sure youll get some good info here, but Id recommend sending an email to FordTechMakuloco. Keep it short of course. Months ago i emailed him about one thing and he responded to me.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:29 AM
TheLariat
New User
Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post
Im sure youll get some good info here, but Id recommend sending an email to FordTechMakuloco. Keep it short of course. Months ago i emailed him about one thing and he responded to me.
Good point. I'll email him. I went ahead and added a video.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:54 AM
oildrop
Freshman User
oildrop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 06 sounds exactly like this, I'm interested to hear what issues you found and how you decided to correct it. I had to replace all my coils as I was getting misfires under light load causing stuttering as well.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:19 PM
TheLariat
New User
Originally Posted by oildrop View Post
My 06 sounds exactly like this, I'm interested to hear what issues you found and how you decided to correct it. I had to replace all my coils as I was getting misfires under light load causing stuttering as well.
To be honest after replacing all the plugs with genuine Motortech it quieted right up. I was told by a few people never use aftermarket plugs on these and I'm a believer. The old owner had autolite in there and it had random misfires under light load. I can take a new video if it will help you.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:00 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TheLariat View Post
To be honest after replacing all the plugs with genuine Motortech it quieted right up. I was told by a few people never use aftermarket plugs on these and I'm a believer. The old owner had autolite in there and it had random misfires under light load. .... .
I've used Autolite plugs without issues in our 2v, but I now run Motorcraft plugs since they can found for reasonable prices, too.
I've never had misfire issues from plugs, except when they were really cruddy, Motorcraft included, but usually misfires were from degraded boots.
I still have mostly OEM Motorcraft coils which far outlast the boots, or Denso replacements.
I've been changing plugs & boots at 50k and haven't had any more misfire issues, unless water got splashed on the engine or coolant leaked out a hose.
The 3v 5.4L came with an OEM 2 piece plug that would separate when removed after having been in there a long time.
I think there is a one piece replacement plug that fixed that problem.
Also, be sure to torque them to 25-28 ft/lbs as they can work loose after 100k or so and blow out.
Our 2v doesn't have phasers, but has a ticking when going by walls which I think is deteriorated timing chain guides and a stretched chain.
The ticking started around 130k and has gotten a bit worse at 170k.
I'm using a Cloyes timing chain kit with cast iron ratcheting tensioners, the OEM tensioners are plastic.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:53 PM
biglawndog
Freshman User
biglawndog is starting off with a positive reputation.
I too had a tick that I thought was the phasers. I also had a misfire so I replaced a coil or two and in the process I checked all the plugs and lo and behold I had a loose plug. I torqued it down and no more tick. Honestly when I heard your video I was pretty sure that's what it was.
I also have 130,000 miles on mine, other than some misfires which trashed my cats its been great. I put a set of Magna Flow cats on with their muffler and it was a great improvement.
Also I've always used Rotella synthetic 5w 40w, love that stuff, I use it in all my equipment after they're broken in.
Hey, that engine bay looks clean.