I guess it's time for my motor rebuild thread - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

I guess it's time for my motor rebuild thread

Notices
1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 07-20-2018, 09:23 PM
427 fordman
Post Fiend
427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.

Hey guys. It's good to see ya all, sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'll try and be around more often again. As most of you know if you are following Glenn's thread, I'm more than likely in the same boat as him. Hitman talked me into starting the tear apart of my truck tonight. I've got the radiator, fan, IC, bumper, OBA compressor and a few more things off. Should have no problem getting it pulled tomorrow. I'll be starting pretty early.

I plan on getting my injectors all freshened by Jim. My piston choice is going to be a set that are delipped and coated. Thinking of other things like a stage one cam and Travis suggested looking into a water to air IC like on the new 6.7. We'll see on those last things, I need to see what all I'm getting into first once I get it apart. It will be balanced also. This is all assuming that I will be able to rebuild what I have. Would have to be something pretty darn serious if I couldn't.

I hope to have it out tomorrow, and maybe start tearing it down then. Unless something major comes up I should at least know for sure what happened by the end of the weekend.

More to come.. I'll have to remember how to post pics on here. Man, it's been too long since I've been around.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:57 PM
97-psd
Posting Guru
97-psd has a good reputation on FTE.97-psd has a good reputation on FTE.
Sorry for your situation. Glad to see you again.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 AM
Airstreamer67
Senior User
Airstreamer67 is starting off with a positive reputation.
From your description at the bottom, do you only have 160K on the engine? I believe Glenn said he has 185K on his, and it is currently being changed out due to catastrophic failure. These engines are supposed to last a lot longer than this. What's happening?

Best of luck on your new adventure!

Old 07-21-2018, 09:32 AM
fordman67
Post Fiend
fordman67 is a name known to allfordman67 is a name known to allfordman67 is a name known to allfordman67 is a name known to allfordman67 is a name known to allfordman67 is a name known to all
Glenn only has like 130 iirc. Only had the mods for 10-15k. Very sad.
good luck Darrin. Maybe it won't be terrible. I am on board with the piston choice if I ever get to building my other mill.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:03 AM
Airstreamer67
Senior User
Airstreamer67 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yep, you're right. I just looked at a recent post, and Glenn's problem cropped up at 134K miles. Wow.

I believe the factory rated these engines at something like 500K before half of them were projected to need an overhaul. Many 7.3s were put into service in medium-duty vehicles, which is a hard life, and there are reports of some going 800K miles and a few reported even reaching the 1mm level. That's what I'm shooting for, but at 75, I ain't got enough years left. But there's hope: I've got a grandson I promised my ole '96 F250 to. He's 16 in high school. Hope he'll see it realize its full potential.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:30 AM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Hit Man X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thumbs up

In for an engine build thread!

Old 07-21-2018, 10:55 AM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
Yep, you're right. I just looked at a recent post, and Glenn's problem cropped up at 134K miles. Wow.

I believe the factory rated these engines at something like 500K before half of them were projected to need an overhaul. Many 7.3s were put into service in medium-duty vehicles, which is a hard life, and there are reports of some going 800K miles and a few reported even reaching the 1mm level. That's what I'm shooting for, but at 75, I ain't got enough years left. But there's hope: I've got a grandson I promised my ole '96 F250 to. He's 16 in high school. Hope he'll see it realize its full potential.
This guys have bigger turbos and making more power than stock, maybe that also was a contributing factor.
I did manage to hit 800k but after moding it the mill couldnt take it no more. It did last me more or less 100k with the mods, i did beat the hell out of my truck tho, problem started after an ilegal freeway race( never again)

Old 07-21-2018, 11:33 AM
fordman67
Post Fiend
fordman67 is a name known to allfordman67 is a name known to allfordman67 is a name known to allfordman67 is a name known to allfordman67 is a name known to allfordman67 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
This guys have bigger turbos and making more power than stock, maybe that also was a contributing factor.
I did manage to hit 800k but after moding it the mill couldnt take it no more. It did last me more or less 100k with the mods, i did beat the hell out of my truck tho, problem started after an ilegal freeway race( never again)
Ill blow my junk up before I get punked out tho.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:59 AM
oldbird1965
Post Fiend
oldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to behold
Got piston holed at 134K and I had 40K on it with mods. My last one went from stock at 72K, modded and its at 212K and still running.

Man I wish I had those pistons in my 'new' motor. Water to air IC? I need an education!

Old 07-21-2018, 12:39 PM
dclack
Posting Guru
dclack has a very good reputation on FTE.dclack has a very good reputation on FTE.dclack has a very good reputation on FTE.
According to some paperwork I found, mine got a reman and new turbo at 46,636 miles. Just about to reach 200k on the factory reman. Just goes to show that no matter how stable and reliable your manufacturing process is, there's always a few bad parts that will get through and cause catastrophic failure. We just only hear about the bad experiences.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:16 PM
427 fordman
Post Fiend
427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.
Good to see you too Ben.

Mine is actually at 170k now, but really still pretty low mileage. I didn't baby it, I didn't race it but I work the crap out of it. 30-40lbs+ of boost pulling 18k.

Well, its out. I got derailed for about 2 hours or so earlier today, so I'm glad Hitman talked me into starting last night. That's a lot of work for one man. I'm shot. Man, that thing is heavy. I left the motor mounts for last and then started lifting it out. I thought I must have something holding me up as it wasn't coming. Lifted a little more and it finally came. It's on the stand now, I'll start the teardown tomorrow. I don't see me doing a lot tomorrow, but I'd like to get the heads off at least and see what's up.

Glenn, water to air IC is something I don't know a lot about either, but I may look into it. I'm not going to rush the build. I don't see me getting it done before the end of the racing season so I'll just have to use Dad's open trailer and use 2 pickups to haul all my crap to the races. I think I have my 48' trailer sold, I'm looking at getting a new 53' one by next spring so I have to have this thing in tip top shape.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have an update on what happened for sure.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:48 PM
oldbird1965
Post Fiend
oldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to behold
Looking forward in seeing what happened. 53', OMG! I looked around about water to air, so far I just don't see there being any room.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:31 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Glenn, might as well get a 6.7 at that point. LOL!!

Darrin, looking forward to this one. I hate hear it, but I know it'll be even better when you're finished.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:37 PM
oldbird1965
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Glenn, might as well get a 6.7 at that point. LOL!!

Darrin, looking forward to this one. I hate hear it, but I know it'll be even better when you're finished.
If this keeps up Bryon I just might get a 6.7. Only trouble is I would have to get a Divorce too! Seriously, I'm about to go nuts here but something happened today that I've never seen in a campground. This state park held an event called Christmas in July and what a feed, I'm stuffed, lol. Campers had decorations of Christmas out around their campers with lights and lawn ornaments.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:43 AM
427 fordman
Post Fiend
  • I had given some thought to getting a new 6.7. Maybe that's what happened to me, I pissed my truck off! Now I have to fix it as it isn't worth anything this way so I will just keep running it for quite a while. The reason for a new trailer is I can't fit the golf cart and both cars in mine now, I need a few more feet of length. My thought was a new pickup or trailer by next spring. The pickup does work real good when running so maybe it's meant to be mine forever. Heck I only use it 5-6 months of the year on weekends only. Hard to justify 60k for a new one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I guess it's time for my motor rebuild thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: