Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

My power tow mirror install. 2017 F150 a few Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 06:28 PM
PAWZ Guitar Company
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My power tow mirror install. 2017 F150 a few Pics

I searched and read all,hopefully, of the Power tow mirror install threads and I thought I would add my 2 bits. The truck has the Medium duty tow package, 2.7L and 3.15 gears. When I bought the truck I was hoping we were done with towing trailers so the included tow package was just already on the truck and not really something I was looking for. We have bought and sold 4 trailers and like I said I thought we were finished with the trailers. WRONG!!! I have just been informed that we will start looking for another travel trailer. I had Ford install the factory Brake Controller (BC) and have been looking to install the tow mirrors. FTE has threads going from it cant be done to changing out harnesses and reprogramming modules. Here is my story.
I figured out that all Power tow mirrors have the 22 pin connector and my truck has the 8 pin. I went on-line and found a dealer heavy into selling parts. I asked if they had 8 pin factory tow mirrors. He said he did and then told me the mirror is capable of doing more than my truck. If my truck cant operate something in its current configuration then it won't work on these. I already Knew that and pulled the trigger on JL3Z-17696-BA Mirror Kit.$700 + $50 in shipping. Yes you can get them a little cheaper but I have ordered things from this dealer before and they treat me right and have not had any problems with them. They are cheaper than my local guys by $100. Most threads say to buy each mirror separately. My kit had both mirrors and two ford 8 to 22 pin adapters. I took my mirrors off and installed my new ones in about 15 minutes. The power adjust works as advertised. As an added bonus the turn signal lights on the mirror work. my stock mirrors did not have them. So yes the heated glass does not heat but if you have that option now they would. The puddle light, running light and spot lights do not work. I'm going to hard wire those in later if I can find a way without having to buy a harness or reflashing anything. Having trouble finding out some of the cable and mirror pin outs but I have found a few documents that I need to search. These involve replacing the harness adding the spot module and reflashing. Like I said I'm not going to do that. I'll find power and add a couple of the switches. So anyway if you have questions fire away. If you have wiring help pass it on.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:37 AM
Zchludil
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been looking to upgrade my mirrors to tow mirrors. I currently have the 8 pin mirrors. So if I am reading this correctly, these mirrors come with all the options such as puddle lights and spot lights, and the 8 pin to 22 pin converter harness? I was unaware that ford had a kit like this.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:14 AM
PAWZ Guitar Company
Junior User
The power mirror kit come with two 8 to 22 pin adapters and 2 mirrors. The mirrors are 22pin capable of heated glass, turn signal, spot, puddle and running lights. They will only work with what your truck currently is capable of. My truck was wired for turn signals but my stock mirrors were not turn signal equipped. but they work now. If I had heated mirrors they would work as well . Heated, Spot, Puddle and running lights do not work but I am looking for the mirror pin out to hard wire those light features.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:15 PM
MattOzzz
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
How can you tell if your truck has 8 or 22 pin connectors? I have a 2018 Lariat SuperCab 5.0. It has power adj/heated/power fold exterior mirrors with the LED side-mirror spotlights.

I'd like to add the tow mirrors ( I think).

Can anyone who has had both recommend the addition for towing an 8 foot wide trailer. Does it help much?

thanks,

matt

Old 07-27-2018, 09:45 AM
PAWZ Guitar Company
Junior User
pull the door trim off that covers the acess to the mirror bolts. if the connection is square it's an 8 pin, rectangle its 22 pin. with all the options you mentioned you will probably have a 22 pin and a 6 pin.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:25 AM
eastcoastfarmer
New User
8 pin to 22 pin harness question

After the installation of the adapter harness. Does all the extra wire and plug fit behind that small trim you removed to bolt on the mirrors? Thanks

Old 07-08-2019, 05:29 PM
PAWZ Guitar Company
Junior User
Yes its all covered by the plastic panel. The adapter is not that big.
Jim

Old 07-10-2019, 06:04 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
What does it take to get the extra features?

If you got a new switch panel with the fold options would that enable that function?

Old 07-11-2019, 02:59 AM
PAWZ Guitar Company
Junior User
If your harness has the wiring. A switch panel is not all you need if the wires are not in the door panel wire harness

Old 07-11-2019, 09:14 AM
zippy-83
Junior User
Trying to delete ,my post

Old 07-11-2019, 09:25 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
I'm currently waiting for a new Heater/AC control panel I found on Car-Parts, from what I'm reading the heated pin is number 1 for both the 8-pin and 22-pin, which would be the same for the XLT, I'm pretty sure the 22-pin has all the other optional components like puddle lights, marker lights, power folding, BLIS and so on. I didn't have the heated mirrors or rear defroster option, so I'm hoping all I needed to get is the control panel with the rear defroster switch. The power mirror and turn signals worked from the get-go.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 AM
zippy-83
Junior User
Originally Posted by PAWZ Guitar Company

I searched and read all,hopefully, of the Power tow mirror install threads and I thought I would add my 2 bits. The truck has the Medium duty tow package, 2.7L and 3.15 gears. When I bought the truck I was hoping we were done with towing trailers so the included tow package was just already on the truck and not really something I was looking for. We have bought and sold 4 trailers and like I said I thought we were finished with the trailers. WRONG!!! I have just been informed that we will start looking for another travel trailer. I had Ford install the factory Brake Controller (BC) and have been looking to install the tow mirrors. FTE has threads going from it cant be done to changing out harnesses and reprogramming modules. Here is my story.
I figured out that all Power tow mirrors have the 22 pin connector and my truck has the 8 pin. I went on-line and found a dealer heavy into selling parts. I asked if they had 8 pin factory tow mirrors. He said he did and then told me the mirror is capable of doing more than my truck. If my truck cant operate something in its current configuration then it won't work on these. I already Knew that and pulled the trigger on JL3Z-17696-BA Mirror Kit.$700 + $50 in shipping. Yes you can get them a little cheaper but I have ordered things from this dealer before and they treat me right and have not had any problems with them. They are cheaper than my local guys by $100. Most threads say to buy each mirror separately. My kit had both mirrors and two ford 8 to 22 pin adapters. I took my mirrors off and installed my new ones in about 15 minutes. The power adjust works as advertised. As an added bonus the turn signal lights on the mirror work. my stock mirrors did not have them. So yes the heated glass does not heat but if you have that option now they would. The puddle light, running light and spot lights do not work. I'm going to hard wire those in later if I can find a way without having to buy a harness or reflashing anything. Having trouble finding out some of the cable and mirror pin outs but I have found a few documents that I need to search. These involve replacing the harness adding the spot module and reflashing. Like I said I'm not going to do that. I'll find power and add a couple of the switches. So anyway if you have questions fire away. If you have wiring help pass it on.
So are these Power Folding or just Power adjust (mirrors only) ?

Old 07-12-2019, 10:27 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by zippy-83
So are these Power Folding or just Power adjust (mirrors only) ?
That part number is power mirror only, not fold or extend.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:29 AM
zippy-83
Junior User
Originally Posted by sddesigns
That part number is power mirror only, not fold or extend.
Thank you..