Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Drove an F-150 Diesel today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:40 AM
Jesse4812
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Drove an F-150 Diesel today.

I was getting a state inspection at my dealer this morning and my salesman asked it I'd like to drive an F-150 diesel. It was a King Ranch that stickered at nearly $71,000. Started it up, very quiet. Took it for a drive and really couldn't tell it was a diesel. Good acceleration and throttle response. Very nice truck. I'm sure Ford will sell as many as they can produce.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:13 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Interesting. To be honest, I expected you to say something negative about the acceleration. Maybe they did it right.
I did test drive a Ram Ecodiesel when they first came out. It had good off the line acceleration, but lost steam at higher speeds.
Having said that, I still walked away with the impression it would have worked just fine for everyday driving....I'm sure the Ford is the same.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:19 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
I think they have a good solid dig off the line but what is with the boost dropping into 5th gear? We have 5 new ones at work and going from an EB this is not a easy adjustment. You can feel the engine is de tuned obviously for EPA. When driving you feel like it's going to keep boosting hard and then it starts to de fuel quickly. If the fuel rate kept up I think the power would be much more linear.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:03 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I've been a diesel guy since 1998. Had a dozen or so. Just got rid of my 2017 F-250 6.7L. Even if the new F-150 gets 40mpg, I don't think I'll consider a diesel again. I love my new 5.0L, but will probably go back to the 3.5L EcoBoost again next time. The emissions crap with the diesel has just blown it for me. I say that today, but we'll see in a few years.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 AM
Jesse4812
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
I have the 3.5 EB in my '18 Expedition. Can't ask for better performance from an engine. I think Ford is trying to cover all bases by adding a diesel to the F-150.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:00 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
Interesting. To be honest, I expected you to say something negative about the acceleration. Maybe they did it right.
I did test drive a Ram Ecodiesel when they first came out. It had good off the line acceleration, but lost steam at higher speeds.
Having said that, I still walked away with the impression it would have worked just fine for everyday driving....I'm sure the Ford is the same.
That's another one of those subjective evaluations. Someone else could say just the opposite. Especially if they had been used to driving a 3.5L Ecoboost.

With a max tow package the diesel will tow 1800 lbs. less than the 3.5L Ecobboost.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:00 AM
deserteagle69
Mountain Pass
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
I think that diesels today are in the same place that gas engines were back in the late 70s when all the new smog stuff was mandated for them. I, and so many others, ended up removing smog pumps and retuning the engines just to get them to run right. Fast forward some years and look what we have now. Small engines that run beautifully and put out more power than the big-block V-8s did years ago. Give the manufacturers a few years to get it all figured out and I think diesels will also run cleanly without the crap they are saddled with now. That is, unless the politicians get involved and legislate them out of existence ( along with all fossil-fuel engines).

Old 07-22-2018, 10:39 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The MPG and low-end torque is where the diesel has the advantage. The torque will get you up to speed a little quicker but I've never been is a hurry when towing a heavy load. Unloaded the diesel get a couple MPG better fuel economy but remember that diesel fuel is more expensive and diesel engine cost more to maintain. I'm not against having a diesel F-150 but with the added cost of a diesel option along with the other costs mentioned I will continue to stick with a 3.5L E.B.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by deserteagle69
I think that diesels today are in the same place that gas engines were back in the late 70s when all the new smog stuff was mandated for them. I, and so many others, ended up removing smog pumps and retuning the engines just to get them to run right. Fast forward some years and look what we have now. Small engines that run beautifully and put out more power than the big-block V-8s did years ago. Give the manufacturers a few years to get it all figured out and I think diesels will also run cleanly without the crap they are saddled with now. That is, unless the politicians get involved and legislate them out of existence ( along with all fossil-fuel engines).
Respectfully, keep dreaming. Emissions crap is here to stay. Most new diesels run good. They've pretty much got it figured out. It's been ten years since the particulate filter was stuffed in these trucks. The problem is the emissions components either fail, cost a fortune to fix, or refurbish or replace after 100k, or they reduce the lifespan of the engines over the long term.
I've owned about a dozen Strokes since 1999. Several were pre-current emission (only cat converter snubbed) diesel trucks. In my opinion, unless you Tow heavy regularly (and the F150 doesn't fit that platform), the diesel will never pay for itself. And, with the F150, we see the EcoBoost is still the better towing vehicle. The F150 diesel is just Fords way IMO of appeasing those who want a diesel half ton, keeping up with the other manufacturers, and snagging sales from those who'd jump ship just for a big boy diesel truck.
Unless urea goes away, filters that need to be cleaned or replaced after 100k to the tune of a few grand, and diesel fuel returns to a standard $0.25 to $0.50 less per gallon than gas, the EcoBoost will prevail.
I still put on high mileage a year, and even if the F150 diesel pulls 40mpg, I'm not sure the pitfalls would make me jump for one in my next truck. I crossed my fingers, because we still have a lot to learn about this mill. Maybe it will blow the common diesel thinking away. I would love to see it because I still am a diesel man.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:33 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by smokewagun
I've been a diesel guy since 1998. Had a dozen or so. Just got rid of my 2017 F-250 6.7L. Even if the new F-150 gets 40mpg, I don't think I'll consider a diesel again. I love my new 5.0L, but will probably go back to the 3.5L EcoBoost again next time. The emissions crap with the diesel has just blown it for me. I say that today, but we'll see in a few years.
Me too. Had a 99 7.3, 2005 6.0 and 2006 6.0. Absolutely love my 5.0 Coyote, it'll take quite a bit to put me in a diesel again. I freely admit I miss the power of the 6.0 pulling trailers up mountain passes, but it's hasn't been that big of a deal to me.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:25 PM
thatdarncat
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of you folks know I have been pretty much a critic of the 3.0 mainly because of the trim level box they put the consumer in. I see the 3.5 EB every bit of the 3.0; just as good at half the price. While I opted for the 6.7 diesel Ram 2500 for just under 40k, it was either the 3.5 EB without the diesel cost worries or get a lot more capable diesel truck for far less price. While I was able to pay it off at the dealers lot, i could not have been able too at 70k...and for me a paid for diesel truck is a happy truck.
I hope it works out for the folks who are plunking down that much for it.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened with your 17 6.7l? Curious what kind of MPGs you got with it. I have been looking at a 17-18 F250 6.7l and wondering what you didnt care for about it. Currently I have a 16 F150 3.5l max tow and I tow our travel trailer a lot with it.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:37 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by barry1me
What happened with your 17 6.7l? Curious what kind of MPGs you got with it. I have been looking at a 17-18 F250 6.7l and wondering what you didnt care for about it. Currently I have a 16 F150 3.5l max tow and I tow our travel trailer a lot with it.
We decided to NOT get a travel trailer in the next few years, which was the main reason I bought the truck. I use my truck for a daily driver, and couldn't justify the cost just to eat it up in 3-4 years just driving. Then, I bought my son a used truck, and further decided I didn't need a large payment on the diesel for daily driving.
Frankly, out of the over a dozen Super Duties I've had, I was most disappointed with the '17. I've never been in a worse handling and riding Super Duty before. Now, it did have the High Capacity Tow Package, but it had bump steer so bad, I got fed up with it. Ford should have a steering stabilizer on these trucks, I can't see any reason why I should have paid $500 to add one aftermarket that Ford should have stock. While that was the front end, the rear, maybe due to the HCTP, gave the worst ride I've ever experienced. I'm certain, had I driven it for a few days before I bought it, I'd have not brought it home. Also, while I like riding high up, and one of the points of the F150 I really don't like... the low ride height, the new Super Duty is insanely high up. The standard running boards are actually too high up for the first step, and I'm 6'-5". It's just a long reach into the cab, and for the DW and DD, it was really a pain. There is no reason these need to sit up that high IMO.
If I ever go back to a Super Duty, it will be with power steps for the lower height, and the 8 foot box for the ride, but right now, I'd try my best to tailor a trailer around an F150 first. Especially since my truck is a daily driver. We will likely get a trailer again, but this new F150 will probably be off to the next owner with 150k on the clock, and I'll have to decide F150 or F350... again. Right now, I'd add air bags and get a Hensley hitch for stability on this F150 before remotely considering a 2017+ Superduty diesel... even pushing it to or slightly over its max payload.
As for economy, over 15,000 miles, it was 16.63. As high as 20.2, and as low as 14.5. I planned to delete it soon before I sold it, as my 2013 was tweaked and 20 mpg was easy for that truck, but I never got to the point that the ride and handling was worth the additional cost to cure, as well as the cost to delete.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:19 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

We decided to NOT get a travel trailer in the next few years, which was the main reason I bought the truck. I use my truck for a daily driver, and couldn't justify the cost just to eat it up in 3-4 years just driving. Then, I bought my son a used truck, and further decided I didn't need a large payment on the diesel for daily driving.
Frankly, out of the over a dozen Super Duties I've had, I was most disappointed with the '17. I've never been in a worse handling and riding Super Duty before. Now, it did have the High Capacity Tow Package, but it had bump steer so bad, I got fed up with it. Ford should have a steering stabilizer on these trucks, I can't see any reason why I should have paid $500 to add one aftermarket that Ford should have stock. While that was the front end, the rear, maybe due to the HCTP, gave the worst ride I've ever experienced. I'm certain, had I driven it for a few days before I bought it, I'd have not brought it home. Also, while I like riding high up, and one of the points of the F150 I really don't like... the low ride height, the new Super Duty is insanely high up. The standard running boards are actually too high up for the first step, and I'm 6'-5". It's just a long reach into the cab, and for the DW and DD, it was really a pain. There is no reason these need to sit up that high IMO.
If I ever go back to a Super Duty, it will be with power steps for the lower height, and the 8 foot box for the ride, but right now, I'd try my best to tailor a trailer around an F150 first. Especially since my truck is a daily driver. We will likely get a trailer again, but this new F150 will probably be off to the next owner with 150k on the clock, and I'll have to decide F150 or F350... again. Right now, I'd add air bags and get a Hensley hitch for stability on this F150 before remotely considering a 2017+ Superduty diesel... even pushing it to or slightly over its max payload.
As for economy, over 15,000 miles, it was 16.63. As high as 20.2, and as low as 14.5. I planned to delete it soon before I sold it, as my 2013 was tweaked and 20 mpg was easy for that truck, but I never got to the point that the ride and handling was worth the additional cost to cure, as well as the cost to delete.
Since it is diesel related....I looked at the 17 SD 6.7. I took a ton of test drives and I could immediately tell if the truck had the HCTP....it was aweful. Without it, it rode much better. Frankly, I test drove a 2wd (a rarity in my area) Super Crew 6.7 and it rode as nice as the F150 I ended up buying.

Back to the original program....I think there are lots of guys that will buy the 3.0 just to have a diesel. They might not make back the cost adder of the engine with mpg....but they'll also get some of that money back when they go to sell it to the next guy who was waiting to find a used 1/2-ton diesel truck. To each their own. I'm glad we have choices.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:22 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so funny you mentioned bump steer and ride. First thing I noticed is the steering wheel ripping out of my hands when hitting bumps on the road. I loved the power of the new 6.7l but cant stand how it rides and drives. The Ram 2500 and GM ride and drive so much better. The Ford 6.7l is a rocket though. Im with you though. I cant stand the high bed also. I put dirt bikes, mountain bikes, camping supplies and hunting crap in bed of my truck all year long. new super duty is tall! Glad I was not the only person noticing it. I would love a diesel for towing but handle how slow the new F150 diesel is, and way over priced. I will keep running my max tow package 16 F150 until someone makes something better.