Best "Bolt on" heads and intake - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Best "Bolt on" heads and intake

Old 07-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Mhollo96
New User
Mhollo96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best "Bolt on" heads and intake

I'm looking for the best heads and intake for a stock 351W EFI 1988.

I don't wanna have to change pistons and all that junk. Just something to pep it up a little bit from stock. Any recommendations?

As far as heads I was looking at Edelbrock Performer RPM Summit part number 60255

As far as intake I was looking at Edelbrock Performer Truck
Summit part number 3881

I know with those heads they require hardened pushrods and if I was going with roller rockers I need tall vave covers which would require a spacer for the intake.

Does this sound like a decent combo? Only trying to get about 400hp give or take.

Also does anyone know if they make a bolt on Centrifugal style supercharger for an EFI 351?? All I keep finding are ones for carbed engines and for 302. I know I might be able to use a 302 supercharger but I don't wanna have to fabricate any brackets or anything.

thanks guys

Old 07-19-2018, 11:55 AM
HardScrabble
Posting Guru
HardScrabble is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HardScrabble is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you want some catalog shopping buddies you came to the right place and you should just ignore me, have fun, it's ok. Quit shopping in catalogs if you want to build some power without a new mortgage. Advertisers and marketers exist to take your money, period, end of story.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:02 PM
Mhollo96
New User
Originally Posted by HardScrabble View Post
If you want some catalog shopping buddies you came to the right place and you should just ignore me. Quit shopping in catalogs if you want to build some power without a new mortgage. Advertisers and marketers exist to take your money, period, end of story.
A simple set of heads and intake will suffice. Maybe a mild cam. I'm not building a drag car or race machine pushing 1000+ HP. Just want it better than stock. If you don't know that heads and cam alone make a big difference just by themselves, then I can't help you. I'm not "catalog shopping". So you can leave your sarcasm on the other side of the keyboard bud. Answer the question, or don't answer at all.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:10 PM
rla2005
Post Fiend
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
This vintage truck was strapped with tiny cams and heads when they cam out of the factory. Once you start stacking modifications the factory Speed Density EFI becomes a problem. Finding someone to tune these old SD EFI trucks is difficult. Your proposed head/cam/intake and add headers will push the combo beyond what the stock EFI can handle.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Mhollo96
New User
Originally Posted by rla2005 View Post
This vintage truck was strapped with tiny cams and heads when they cam out of the factory. Once you start stacking modifications the factory Speed Density EFI becomes a problem. Finding someone to tune these old SD EFI trucks is difficult. Your proposed head/cam/intake and add headers will push the combo beyond what the stock EFI can handle.
I will be converting the truck to MAF soon before these changes are made. No worries there.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:18 PM
HardScrabble
Posting Guru
HardScrabble is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HardScrabble is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Don't ask the question if you don't want the answer. It's ok to pretend. It's Ok to shop. That's why they make catalogs. Just hold tight to your money.

You got the magazine education and are trained to blow wads of money. Watch out.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:05 PM
rla2005
Post Fiend
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
Everything you do to squeeze "only 400 HP" out of a normally aspirated engine is going to move the power band up the RPM scale which is exactly the opposite of what a truck needs if it is going to be used as a truck. Forced induction is highly suggested to meet your goals on a smaller budget. The Gen 1 Lightning guys have plenty of experience with what you are contemplating: The National Lightning Owners Club Inc

While the other posts are a bit on the crass side, there is merit in letting you know it is going to take a rather large budget to get 400 FWHP on a low RPM engine. At that power level the fuel system needs upgraded, the transmission, rear axle and gears for the latter as well. Then you need to consider bigger brakes, etc. You see where this is going.

Best first step IMHO is long tube headers and a Speed Density compatible cam. Keep a single exhaust. Your other thread mentioned 3.08 gears. Highly suggest to replace those ASAP with something better.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:20 PM
rla2005
Post Fiend
No one is trying to shut you down, just laying out the facts of your proposed project. We see it frequently and few ever follow through. The best advice is set a budget then see what go fast parts will fit that budget. Let the anticipated HP fall where ever.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:50 PM
GoinBoarding
Posting Guru
GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.
To add to the above advice, 300hp is about the limit for a modest budget. Meaning, you can build a stock looking, stock fueled, stock ignition 351w for a reasonable price (not cheap) and still make gobs more torque & power than stock, which was all of 210hp for the later builds that didn't have the tiny 80's cam. But, 400hp is double stock power.. A 300hp/400lb.ft build with 4.10 gears on 31" tires would be a fun truck without spending a bunch on drive train upgrades and having to mod fueling and control. Your other thread mentions a locker, so I'll assume you're wheeling, in which case forget 31" tires, go 33", and if you want quick go 4.56 gears to match. I'd not go over 33" if you're heavy on throttle off road, or you'll end up wanting chromoly axle shafts in the TTB D44 real quick, or go all the way to D60 front, Sterling 10.25" rear and run 35"s. At which point, why start with an F150 anyway, when a stock big block F350 is already there with tires and a locker.

All of that to arrive at: what is the intended use of this rig and what is your budget?

Old 07-19-2018, 02:14 PM
Mhollo96
New User
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding View Post
To add to the above advice, 300hp is about the limit for a modest budget. Meaning, you can build a stock looking, stock fueled, stock ignition 351w for a reasonable price (not cheap) and still make gobs more torque & power than stock, which was all of 210hp for the later builds that didn't have the tiny 80's cam. But, 400hp is double stock power.. A 300hp/400lb.ft build with 4.10 gears on 31" tires would be a fun truck without spending a bunch on drive train upgrades and having to mod fueling and control. Your other thread mentions a locker, so I'll assume you're wheeling, in which case forget 31" tires, go 33", and if you want quick go 4.56 gears to match. I'd not go over 33" if you're heavy on throttle off road, or you'll end up wanting chromoly axle shafts in the TTB D44 real quick, or go all the way to D60 front, Sterling 10.25" rear and run 35"s. At which point, why start with an F150 anyway, when a stock big block F350 is already there with tires and a locker.

All of that to arrive at: what is the intended use of this rig and what is your budget?
I won't be off roading, this will be a street truck and yes I am running 31" tires. I don't want a track or race truck. I just want enough to catch people off guard on the street that expect it to be another slow old truck. I'll be running regular highway tires, I want the locker because I'm tired of the one wheel peel and want the power planted to both rear wheels as it should be. My plan was to do a MAF conversion I found a decently priced kit, mild cam, good set of heads and a decent intake. That was pretty much all I was planning on doing, I don't want much more than that. Also, I dont really have a set budget, it's more or less a do it as I go situation. When I get the money I'll get the things I need, one at a time. I just simply wanted to know if that set of heads I'm looking at as well as the intake are good for what I'm trying to achieve. As well as if theyll require any modifications such as different pistons. I want a set of better breathing heads that'll bolt on to the stock engine. I also wasn't sure about how good that intake is. From what I read it's good for about 35-40ft.lb of torque gain. Anyway, 400hp was an over estimation on my part, my apologies. Around 300 is the goal. Maybe a little more if anyone would answer my question regarding the supercharger. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Scndsin
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
I spent $3061 on a total rebuild where I did all the work, used GT40 heads, built a hybrid 5.0/5.8 intake & and got about 300 at the crank, 193 at the wheels through 3.08 gears.

I recently converted to MAF for under $200 bucks but can't get any love on tuning & haven't dynoed it since the change.

If you like to read, you can kill some time here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16937337

Old 07-19-2018, 07:05 PM
rla2005
Post Fiend
I am not aware there are any out of the box supercharger kits available anymore. You could adapt one for a pushrod 5L Fox body Mustang. But, you will need some way to tune it.

Could be easier if you used a Mustang computer as the basis for your proposed MAF swap. The fly in the ointment is if the truck has an electronic controlled E4OD transmission.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:54 PM
HardScrabble
Posting Guru
These old detonation prone engines probably wouldn't take much boost without a redesign of the combustion chamber. An engine designed and built for boost would get a lot more from turbo or supercharging. Hold together better too. Start from the ground up if you want to go with a boosted engine.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:19 PM
Mhollo96
New User
?

Originally Posted by Scndsin View Post
I spent $3061 on a total rebuild where I did all the work, used GT40 heads, built a hybrid 5.0/5.8 intake & and got about 300 at the crank, 193 at the wheels through 3.08 gears.

I recently converted to MAF for under $200 bucks but can't get any love on tuning & haven't dynoed it since the change.

If you like to read, you can kill some time here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16937337
Was it the gears that killed that 100hp?? It's crazy you lost 100hp between the flywheel and wheels. I know an automatic trans can kill HP too. Have you noticed any benefits with the MAF? How is it that your end HP result was less than factory??

Last edited by Mhollo96; 07-19-2018 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Missed a question
Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 PM
Mudsport96
Posting Guru
Mudsport96 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Mhollo96 View Post
Was it the gears that killed that 100hp?? How is it that your end HP result was less than factory??
Because the factory doesnt rate the engines at the rear wheels.
And the ford autos stuck up a lot of power then you have the rear end so 20 percent loss is not bad, not great but not bad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best "Bolt on" heads and intake

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.