People always ask if their bumper or grill guard is original or aftermarket.. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

People always ask if their bumper or grill guard is original or aftermarket..

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Old 07-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Doc
Postmaster
Doc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud of

Here's a good example of a probable long-gone aftermarket company that provided bumpers and grill guards for our trucks. Took these pics from a facebook ad in South Dakota. From what I gather, this "Smash Hit" brand was pretty popular.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 AM
firstrider
Postmaster
firstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to behold
The one pictured is a factory option
grill guard . Price an extra $35.00 in 1948. May snag this in Oct if it is still there .

Old 07-18-2018, 12:08 PM
1954wrecker
Junior User
1954wrecker is starting off with a positive reputation.
How about this one?

Old 07-18-2018, 02:13 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by 1954wrecker View Post
How about this one?
Yes, that one is the grille guard offered as an option by Ford in 53 to 56. In 53 another smaller chrome guard was also offered. I'll try to get pics of them posted. You have a double bumper however. Perhaps for pushing vehicles.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:27 PM
1954wrecker
Junior User
1954wrecker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Interesting, thanks for taking a look.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:19 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
Awesome stuff. That first grill guard with the nice swoopy curvilinear lines is pretty cool. I think I've seen several that look like the factory option one. I've also seen many that were blatantly aftermarket or homemade.

When did rear bumpers become standard? I don't think it was until late 80's or 90's.
I've had numerous old truck with those rear bumpers that wrap around and bolt to the bedsides all the way up to the rear wheel opening.

Bobby

Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 PM
ct50f1
Senior User
ct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to behold
My truck, which was originally from Texas, came with a rear bumper just like the one in Doc's first post. It had the same "Smash Hit" tag on it.

It also had a grill guard that I assume was a "Smash Hit". I have since given the grill guard to Chuck.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:59 PM
Doc
Postmaster
Doc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud of
HistoryHunter revived an old thread about Smash Hits. See below. Good stuff!!

Old 07-20-2018, 11:53 AM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud of

Old 07-20-2018, 11:56 AM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud ofbobj49f2 has much to be proud of

Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 PM
df85732
Secret Agent
df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.
Local find! Need to get my butt there and snag it!

Old 07-20-2018, 08:46 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Dave, that yard is a gold mine. Are you going to snag that tow hook? Anymore f350 emblems?

Old 07-21-2018, 11:28 AM
53 tonner
Senior User
53 tonner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.53 tonner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A couple weeks ago pulled my push bar off the shelf & started cleaning it up. After many years of use it was bruised and rusty & I set it aside. I was not interested in spending a bunch to have it re-chromed so it got set aside. With lots of sweat & Mothers polish, it was as good as it was going to get, so we put it on the bumper today. Now I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner. This was a Ford option original to the truck.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:13 PM
abe
Post Fiend
That looks awesome! That style was offered in 1953 only. It was called the Light Duty grille guard. What Dave posted in post number 11 is the Heavy Duty grille guard. I will post pics of 1953 option pamphlet that shows both.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:03 PM
Doc
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 53 tonner View Post
A couple weeks ago pulled my push bar off the shelf & started cleaning it up. After many years of use it was bruised and rusty & I set it aside. I was not interested in spending a bunch to have it re-chromed so it got set aside. With lots of sweat & Mothers polish, it was as good as it was going to get, so we put it on the bumper today. Now I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner. This was a Ford option original to the truck.

That is pretty awesome. As far as I'm concerned, if you entered that truck in one of those high-fluting concours d elegance contests, the judges would be completely wrong if they deducted for those battle scars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: People always ask if their bumper or grill guard is original or aftermarket..

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.