F500 Brake Job - Page 11 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F500 Brake Job

Old 08-08-2018, 09:35 PM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold
The Volkswagen diesels and my 300 TD Mercedes use a lot of curved hardened flat washers under many of the engine bolts. They aren't domed like a Bellville washer, but curved like the brim of a cowboy hat. What is the TTT and TTY sequence? Sorry
Mark

Old 08-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Mixer man
Postmaster
Mixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to behold
The TTT sequence is Torque, Turn, Tighten. A fastener is torqued to a certain value and then turned a predetermined amount of degrees depending on the fastener properties and the application. I think it was originally a German thing, but it's fairly widespread now in heavy equipment.
TTY is Torque, Turn, Yield. Whereas the fastener is drawn up to the maximum elongation or stretch at the threshold of the yield point. This part is rocket science and requires special wrenches that give continuous feedback. I have also seen (but not used) hydraulic tensioners where they pull a stud tight against a surface with so many tons of pressure, and then the nut is just spun on finger tight and the pressure is released.

Sorry about the Back to the brake job.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:10 AM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Once I put the brake shoes and drum back on. How do I adjust? Turn both adjusters until slight rubbing of the drum and then back then off two or three clicks so drum spins free?

When I say “spins free”, I have to spin it. It does not coast with a push.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Mixer man
Postmaster
Mixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618 View Post
Once I put the brake shoes and drum back on. How do I adjust? Turn both adjusters until slight rubbing of the drum and then back then off two or three clicks so drum spins free?

When I say “spins free”, I have to spin it. It does not coast with a push.
There is a procedure outlined in the shop manual. You do have one, right?
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-09-2018, 02:04 PM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the explanation, Bob. I had never heard the terminology before. Volkswagen and Mercedes use a similar procedure to the TTT you described. Volkswagen angle torques their bolts beyond the yield point and they have to be replaced after each use. Mercedes angle torques to just under the yield point and the bolts are reusable. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Mark

Old 08-09-2018, 07:31 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
I do have a manual.

Got the brake shoes today. Pretty happy with them. 14 rivets in each and bonded!

Old 08-09-2018, 07:52 PM
Mixer man
Postmaster
Cool. Nice looking job, but it doesn't look like they were arced. Does that brake arrangement not have primary and secondary shoes?

Old 08-11-2018, 08:07 AM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
There are two square head nuts on the pumpkin. I am assuming the lower is the drain and the upper is the fill? Book says capacity of 13 1/2 pints of hypoid or multipurpose sae 80.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:13 AM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
Brake line block. Are the three threads all the same size? The two side look like fine thread. The top (a hose coming from Lon line from master) looks to be made regular thread?

1/4 “ od lines.
Master to back bracket is 113”
bracket to block (this is a hose) 18.5”
block to driver side is 21.5”
block to passenger side is 39.5”

Old 08-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Mixer man
Postmaster
There are two square head nuts on the pumpkin. I am assuming the lower is the drain and the upper is the fill? Book says capacity of 13 1/2 pints of hypoid or multipurpose sae 80.

That is a jacking bolt. It doesn't go through.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:27 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
When I put this on the back side of the lower wheel cylinder, does the hole in the bolt need to face up towards the brake fluid inlet?

Old 08-11-2018, 05:28 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Hotrod350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This is the Drain/Fill port. the old fluid will have to be sucked out

Old 08-11-2018, 06:34 PM
Mixer man
Postmaster
Ok, look at the two components carefully and then think about it for a moment. Notice that the hole in the bolt goes into the wheel cylinder, and that the bolt is necked down around the hole. Where would any fluid go? Don't forget that two copper washers are required.

When I put this on the back side of the lower wheel cylinder, does the hole in the bolt need to face up towards the brake fluid inlet?

Old 08-11-2018, 07:40 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
Maybe I don’t have the right manual. This is the one I have. It’s a small book like a quarter page. I do have a parts manual also. The shop manual doesn’t say a lot as to R&R.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:44 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
I got the new brake lines on and the shoes. Question? How tight should the castle nut be that holds the shoe one? I have new cutter pins for them but did not bend yet because I am unsure how tight the nit needs to be. I have not put fluid in the lines yet. Went to two stores and they did. It have a bleeder. Guess I will make my own out of a 2 liter bottle and some hose.
I did get heavy duty brake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F500 Brake Job

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.