Transmision won't shift into 4th gear on brand new rebuilt tranny - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Transmision won't shift into 4th gear on brand new rebuilt tranny

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 07-16-2018, 10:11 PM
Mike1016
Junior User
Mike1016 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hey guys I recently just got the scan gage 2 for my truck and realized it shows me the gears I'm in so I have recently had my transmission rebuilt and its shift like crap sorry for the language but its true well I just now found out why it skips 4th gear most of the time if its a hard excell then it will sometimes hit 4th and get stuck look it almost redlines my rpms but most of the time it skips it all together from a dead stop to a downshift on the freeway it goes from 6 to 5 to 3. And from a stop it goes 1 to 2 to 3 to 5 to 6 any ideas what's going on new granny has under 25000 miles on it and has done it since the rebuild and my warranty is up was at 24000

Old 07-16-2018, 10:48 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.
Your transmission is shifting like it should. 1-2-3-5-6 fourth is not used unless the temp drops below 0 I think. Mark can explain it better. 4-5th are very close in ratio so when it’s cold the shift between 3-5 takes to long with cold fluid so it shifts to 4th to help aid in the shifts. Oh I’m going to get roasted for this explanation . Sorry Mark

Old 07-16-2018, 11:27 PM
Mike1016
Junior User
Originally Posted by FiznUKa View Post
Your transmission is shifting like it should. 1-2-3-5-6 fourth is not used unless the temp drops below 0 I think. Mark can explain it better. 4-5th are very close in ratio so when itís cold the shift between 3-5 takes to long with cold fluid so it shifts to 4th to help aid in the shifts. Oh Iím going to get roasted for this explanation . Sorry Mark
ok well that makes a lot of sense then cause the guy who who rebuilt my transmission also told me that it skips 4th gear and it might use it while towing or working it hard but I thought he was just trying to cover his mistake up but I guess that's the truth thank you that puts my mind at ease a little knowing that it is suppose to shift like that but what about the sticking in 4th when it does use it is that just cause the billet commercial torque converter and the shift kit he put in it I have heard not to put shift kits in the 6.0s and I didn't really know he was doing it till he told me he was done and to come pick my truck up and who is mark and how do I contact him why will he roast u for correct info anyways thank you that really does put my mind at ease

Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 PM
Mike1016
Junior User
Another question I have is how often should I service and change filters and fluid on my transmission cause again the guy who built my tranny told me don't just take my truck to a jiffy lube to service my transmission bring it back to him cause people over service their trannys which is worse on them cause ford has the best filters for their trannys the dirtier they are the better they filter now to me that sounds absurd but honestly with a ford nothing really shocks me anymore so if someone can please tell me if this is correct that would be great and how often to service the tranny and what to do to it thank you

Old 07-17-2018, 12:18 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Yes, all filters filter to a smaller micron as they become dirtier.

JiffyLube is not the best place to go to.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:26 AM
Mike1016
Junior User
Ok that's good to know do u have a recommendation of how often I should service my tranny cause I am going on about 25000 miles since my rebuild is it time to service it

Old 07-17-2018, 04:31 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Use the forum search function and look up the 6.4L trans pan swap.

The pan fits on without any fuss amd you just use the 6.4L filter . What you end up with is full flow filtering of the trans fluid. They you
can just leave the TP roll filter in place o remove the housing, Just don't run with an empty housing is all. Here is a kink to that search.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...rchid=26684764

Old 07-17-2018, 07:14 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Just don't run with an empty housing is all.
Why not? That's a real question. I've heard that, but I don't know enough about the external filter housing to know why people say not to run without the filter element.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:20 AM
npccpartsman
Post Fiend
npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Why not? That's a real question. I've heard that, but I don't know enough about the external filter housing to know why people say not to run without the filter element.
I wanted to know that too, and was hoping you would know. When I changed to the 6.4 pan a few years back I removed the toilet paper roll and just recently reinstalled it "just because". It's had been out about 60K miles.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:04 AM
Mike1016
Junior User
As I have been reading on here about the tranny and filters I seen somewhere that the tranny only filters 1% at 165 degrees my tranny even on hot days or towing barely ever even gets over 160 since my rebuild is that not good and how do I fix it

Old 07-17-2018, 09:05 AM
Mike1016
Junior User
I monitor my tranny temp close and I don't think I have ever seen it get over 170 degrees

Old 07-17-2018, 09:17 AM
Mike189677
Posting Guru
Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.
If want it to filter 100% of the fluid the use the mod that yahiko mentioned. The service intervals for the transmission can be found in the owners manual along with the explanation as to why the truck skips 4th gear most of the time. If you move to the 6.4 filter then you will need to follow those guidelines instead of the ones in your manual it’s the same trans but with different filter setup the service intervals are different. I’m sure it’s mentioned in the thread for the swap.

Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Use the forum search function and look up the 6.4L trans pan swap.
The pan fits on without any fuss amd you just use the 6.4L filter . What you end up with is full flow filtering of the trans fluid. They you
can just leave the TP roll filter in place o remove the housing, Just don't run with an empty housing is all. Here is a kink to that search.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...rchid=26684764

Old 07-17-2018, 12:23 PM
Mike1016
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mike189677 View Post
If want it to filter 100% of the fluid the use the mod that yahiko mentioned. The service intervals for the transmission can be found in the owners manual along with the explanation as to why the truck skips 4th gear most of the time. If you move to the 6.4 filter then you will need to follow those guidelines instead of the ones in your manual itís the same trans but with different filter setup the service intervals are different. Iím sure itís mentioned in the thread for the swap.

the link u gave me says invalid link I was not able to look up the 6.4 liter pan swap

Old 07-17-2018, 12:43 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mike1016 View Post
the link u gave me says invalid link I was not able to look up the 6.4 liter pan swap
One of the threads on this is in the Tech folder, but here's a link to it:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ns-filter.html

Scott

Old 07-17-2018, 02:01 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.
If your having shifting issues check for codes. The SGii is not a good code reader. You could have a bad solenoid. Search for FORScan and get an OBD adapter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmision won't shift into 4th gear on brand new rebuilt tranny

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.