Installed Biker Bars (no more straps)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 02:26 PM
HDBiker67
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed Biker Bars (no more straps)

I went ahead and got Biker Bars back in the winter. I finally installed them a couple months ago. I didn't take any install pics because it was very difficult situation and I just got lost in the details.

The install was quite involved and took a full 12 hour day to get done. I spent over 4 hours just taking measurements and mocking up the install. I would take measurements underneath, find reference points and transfer them up top in the garage. I also had to squeeze the plates in between cross beams and the water tank which I could barely get my arm up, but I figured it out and it works. Throughout this process, several times I wondered if it was really worth it...now that it's done and I have used them, I am thrilled and so glad I went through the ordeal. If I could have had longer, skinnier arms that also bent between my wrist and elbow that would have made it much easier

Anyway, we made our first trip with these installed with my Street Glide and her Fatboy (not me, the bike). They worked great, we traveled some very bumpy roads such as I-78 in PA & NJ, I-287 in NJ, Rt 33 in PA & Rt 22 in PA, even had to do an emergency panic stop (didn't hit anyone) and the bikes stayed put, didn't move at all. I was a bit nervous about it even though I read a ton of reviews of people that used them successfully for thousands of miles, so much to my relief we arrived with them both still standing. We did almost 600 miles roundtrip with them in the toyhauler and no incidents.

I just wanted to share my experience, maybe it will be helpful to someone. Below are pics of the bare floor with the brackets installed then with the brackets and then with the bikes locked down.

(I also posted this in the Forest River Forum)

please ignore the filthy bagger, we were out playing in the rain all day the day before.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:55 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm installing a BB this fall.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:18 AM
jimzdat
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I just put one in our trailer - had to get creative in order to fit my Ultra in there next to the wife's Spyder...

Drove from SE Ohio to Pigeon Forge, TN - bike didn't move a bit.

My install was a little easier - plate ended up mounting right above the aux fuel tank of the trailer (Fuzion FZ360), so there was a reasonable amount of room to work. Only down side is I have to unbolt the plate to get the Spyder in/out. Given that, I used carriage bolts all the way through the floor to hold the plates underneath, rather than trying to rely on wood screws like the instructions said.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:11 AM
HDBiker67
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimzdat
I just put one in our trailer - had to get creative in order to fit my Ultra in there next to the wife's Spyder...

Drove from SE Ohio to Pigeon Forge, TN - bike didn't move a bit.

My install was a little easier - plate ended up mounting right above the aux fuel tank of the trailer (Fuzion FZ360), so there was a reasonable amount of room to work. Only down side is I have to unbolt the plate to get the Spyder in/out. Given that, I used carriage bolts all the way through the floor to hold the plates underneath, rather than trying to rely on wood screws like the instructions said.
Nice. I love these things. I usually unbolt the plates anyway, we use the garage for extra living space, guest space, and/or fur baby space. I have a cordless impact gun so its a 30 second job, and I can store them in the beaver tail storage. I also used the carriage bolt option.