Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another restoration thread! (Big photos)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 04:18 PM
groundrat
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yet another restoration thread! (Big photos)

Hey all, I have not posted on here in a very long time but I have recently begun the long task of bringing my old 94 F150 back from the dead. My wife and I bought this truck in 2001 and it was the first vehicle we purchased together. We drove away from our wedding in this truck and I am over the moon happy to have it back. While on active duty I sent the truck home to Massachusetts so my father would have a vehicle. Unfortunately, he was unable to keep it on the road for many of the following years and she sat. Now that I am local and have the space, I am going to try to bring he back to where she was when we got her. This weekend I hacked out the old exhaust and put in a set of longtubes to prep for the true dual exhaust I plan on fabbing up. Today I started addressing some of the cancer she has acquired from sitting. I am going to try to use this thread to motivate me to stay the course and see this through. Still up on this side is to install the new brake hose and caliper to finish it up. Then lather, rinse, and repeat on the other side!

Shortly after we bought her!

Currently

Yay New England!

Great for weight savings, safety not so much

In progress. You can see the headers. My son picked the color!

Looks a bit better now!

Old 07-15-2018, 04:54 PM
collkid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. you have a lot of work ahead of you. Interested to watch.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:45 PM
groundrat
More Turbo
And just as I get the exhaust done I get rewarded with coolant in the exhaust. Tested the cooling system and it doesn't hold pressure. Started a tear down and broke an intake bolt . Got mad, went online, and found a low mileage 351w to do a swap! I am going this weekend to pick up a 90k mile 5.8 out of a 97 F350. More updates to follow!

Old 08-06-2018, 07:25 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts
What a great story - and an equally great looking truck. I'd like to see where this heads.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:46 PM
groundrat
More Turbo
Thanks Evan! I'm kind of curious to see where its going to lead as well! The list of what she needs is still way longer than what I have done, but I'm hopeful I will get her back to her roots.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:00 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Since you already misewell'd to get a 5.8, misewell get some good heads.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:22 AM
groundrat
More Turbo
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
Since you already misewell'd to get a 5.8, misewell get some good heads.
You know, I was thinking about that on my way to work today. I need to settle on a game plan for it before I get too far. I was considering picking up some GT40's, asking for advice on the cam, and possible some 1.7 roller rockers. I already have longtubes, and a full dual exhaust with an x pipe. I am unsure how much would be worthwhile without also doing something about the lousy 5.8 intake. I was just looking at the Price Motorsport intake adapters to reuse my 5.0 intake. At $320.00 I'm not sure if its worth it. Id really like the Edelbrock truck intake, but sheesh are they proud of that thing. This truck is my toy now and has incredible sentimental value. I have nothing to tow with it and I am really just looking for decent acceleration and good drive-ability.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:23 AM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All that rust makes me very happy I don't live in the NE anymore.

Carry on.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:44 AM
groundrat
More Turbo
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd
All that rust makes me very happy I don't live in the NE anymore.

Carry on.
What is sad is this truck isn't really considered "real rusty" up here. Lucky for me the floors, cab mounts, bed cross members, and such are rust free. I am looking for some mint front fenders and I have the full replacement cab corners to install as well as new weld in rear wheel arches. Safety and reliability are the first and second priorities though.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:00 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 135 Likes on 131 Posts
What did you do the rusty areas. Those areas look much better now. You get the flake rust off and use a rust converter? If so what did you use for getting the loose rust off and which rust converter? Great job so far.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:03 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
The price motorsport adapters are a cheap way to use a good intake, but what I don't like about them is how the injector is moved away from the valve. Enough to make a difference? Maybe maybe not, just something to consider.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:24 AM
groundrat
More Turbo
Originally Posted by wildstang
What did you do the rusty areas. Those areas look much better now. You get the flake rust off and use a rust converter? If so what did you use for getting the loose rust off and which rust converter? Great job so far.
I used a combination of wire wheels and rust removing wheels on my drill and angle grinder plus some wire brushes. I used rustoleum automotive rust reformer to convert the surface rust then I went over it with some Eastwood chassis black I had.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 AM
groundrat
More Turbo
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
The price motorsport adapters are a cheap way to use a good intake, but what I don't like about them is how the injector is moved away from the valve. Enough to make a difference? Maybe maybe not, just something to consider.
That is a good point. In your opinion, is the Eddy intake worth the price tag?

Old 08-07-2018, 10:36 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Tough question. It pained me to add it to my cart, not having ever tried it before, but I wanted to know especially with my afrs. It would pain me to buy another, but i would, as it is undoubtedly the best truck intake available. No loss in off idle hp, brutal mid range, pulls all the way to redline.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:00 AM
groundrat
More Turbo
I would really hate to spend the $300 on the spacers to realize they don't work or cause issues with fuel delivery. Hmmm. I am going to contact the company and see if they have any customers I can reach out to. Otherwise I may have to talk myself in to the bigger badder intake.

Quick Reply: Yet another restoration thread! (Big photos)