6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Stella was stolen yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:34 PM
rocco7869
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stella was stolen yesterday

Well after 5 years and 37k miles, my baby was taken from me yesterday. We had just taken the RV back to storage after a vacation trip and made a stop at Home Depot on the way home. 45 minutes in the store, came out and couldn't find her. You know that feeling, I'm pretty sure I parked right here, let me try the panic button. I don't hear the horn. Yep, she's gone. Police took a report over the phone, didn't even bother to come out and check security cams. Now I get to wait on insurance. Someone said it could take up to 30 days. She's probably headed to vacation in Mexico right now. I've been looking at the later models with the 6.7, 2011 and up. Just depends on what insurance does. Anyway, thanks for listening. I had to get it off my chest.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:17 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
This just sucks. Very sorry to hear about this.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:44 AM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 375 Likes on 268 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your truck. Truck thieves are pretty low people. You are probably right about the vacation too. I hope the insurance treats you right

Old 07-15-2018, 08:56 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
The Club really does wonders. My buddy had the same happen to him in a Lowes parking. He watched as the white van drove around the lot, three Mexicans jump out, one immediately went to popping the door at which time he had approached with a weapon drawn. It was awesome. Cops came, arrested two of the idiots while another guy helped him detain the group until the cops go there. He just knew because this Lowes had a few trucks stolen in the last few weeks prior, so he was on the ready. I have read and heard from the cops that these lots are the main place they look due to contractors and the like. Sorry to hear this for you though. Hopefully insurance gives you a nice down payment for a 6.7!

Old 07-15-2018, 09:07 AM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
That's horrible. Was it locked? How did they even start it? If I don't prime my glowplugs until the light goes out, it is not happy, most people wouldn't know to do that.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JaySVX
If I don't prime my glowplugs until the light goes out, it is not happy, most people wouldn't know to do that.
I'm sure the thieves that steal these trucks do. The diesels are probably the biggest target.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:19 PM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
That's horrible. Was it locked? How did they even start it? If I don't prime my glowplugs until the light goes out, it is not happy, most people wouldn't know to do that.

Sadly, Ford super duty trucks up until 2008 are very easy to steal. A flat blade screw driver and some channel locks are all they need to pop a locked door and force the ignition. There is no chip in the key, so no PATS to stop it from starting when the ignition switch is turned by force. My dad's old 2001 f-150 had a chipped key, but for some reason, Ford decided the super duty didn't need one. My only guess for this is low cost duplicate keys for work trucks. A replacement key for the '01 f-150 was over $100. I can get a key made for my truck for about $3. Or, if you're into conspiracy theories, maybe ford wanted a high theft rate of these trucks so they could sell more super duties to replace those stolen trucks.

If you are parking your 6.0 somewhere you are worried about, pull and pocket the FICM relay. The truck will still be able to crank, but will not start until the relay is plugged back in.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:10 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry about your truck bud. It looks sweet in the picture. That grill is awesome.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 PM
Warren89
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a standard, all they have to do is drop the access panel under the steering wheel and unscrew the little white box. They wouldn't even need to break the ignition. My condolences on your loss. Look back fondly on her and remember the good times. Try to forget about any transgressions you two may have had and know in your heart she did all she could to stay with you.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:30 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Most of the reason that the trucks are stolen is for committing a crime. The trucks are usually abandoned after the crime but if it isnt found, others can take it and use it or strip it.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:21 PM
phatboy7
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, I know the feeling. My truck was stolen last year in a parking lot with a rent-a-cop and video cameras. Of course no one saw anything and the camera was pointed the other way. Cop told me the best thing to do is get LoJack or just put the club on and the visual deterrent is usually enough to make thieves second guess it. If they really want it they'll get it.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:11 PM
steinernm
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brandonrr

If you are parking your 6.0 somewhere you are worried about, pull and pocket the FICM relay. The truck will still be able to crank, but will not start until the relay is plugged back in.
I am so sorry to hear this! I really hope that my 2005 F250 with 65K Miles doesn’t get stolen.

Who all pulls their FICM relay? This might be a good idea when parking overnight at the airport or somewhere.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Devastating news, so sorry to hear this man....

Rudolph has been broken into twice and The Monster, they tried and never got in Thanks to JimmiJammers. I couldn't bear the thought of either of them being gone....

Old 07-17-2018, 02:22 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Flat blade screwdriver to get in and a set of vicegrips to get it started, takes less than a minute if you're good. Excursions don't have that problem thankfully.

Originally Posted by steinernm

I am so sorry to hear this! I really hope that my 2005 F250 with 65K Miles doesn’t get stolen.

Who all pulls their FICM relay? This might be a good idea when parking overnight at the airport or somewhere.
I do....

When I was married, we'd go down to my in-laws place down in Rio Grande Valley. It's right near the border and trucks disappear easy, so I always pulled mine. My truck being all black with very tinted windows made it look like a Law Enforcement vehicle, so I'm guessing that's why mine was commonly left alone. My ex-wife used to work at a section 8 apartment complex and when I drove in to see her, folks scattered thinking I was Homeland Security or the FBI. She told me this after the fact, lol

Old 07-18-2018, 04:04 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Verizon offers an obd dongle thing for $10/mo that will track your truck where ever it goes, diangosis info, etc. Chances are theives will find it, but not until it's to late. I'm considering one for my daughter.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Maybe worth considering.

Quick Reply: Stella was stolen yesterday