Interested in F-250 5th wheeling... am I out of my league?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:04 AM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
To the best of my knowledge this 10,000lb "package" is the de-rate. There are a lot of states that use this as the cut off between regular trucks/SUV's and "flat weight". It has a big affect on registration costs...
You could look at that way, yes, relative to the inherent capacity of the truck. That doesn't change the fact that 10K is simply the default and maximum GVWR "sticker package" for the F250. For those states that pummel folks starting right at 10K, Ford offers the 9900# GVWR sticker package as a way to avoid high fees.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:27 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Since the subject hit registration details a bit here - I just came across an interesting thread here on registration costs:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tration-4.html

A lot of those numbers just make me cringe. I thought over $200 was a lot for my F350 as a class D (8,001-12,000lbs) flat weight in IL a while back - plus inspections every 6 months. Sticker is 11,500lbs. I'll have to dig up my old reg and see what it shows - I want to say it just shows 12,000. If thats the case, I got 500lbs extra. No way to get under 8k at an empty weight of 8500lbs.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:31 AM
UnclKracker
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE (this show for a longbed and yours is a shortbed but the sticker shows having it so I'm guessing an option that can be had with a shortbed)
**F-250 High-Capacity Trailer Tow Package (F-250 with 8' box and diesel engine only) includes max. front springs, upgraded axles and 27,500 lb.-GCWR
/QUOTE]

Your saying according to Ford's brochure the High-Cap Tow Package shouldn't be available for the short bed? I hope Ford misprinted their brochure not the window sticker, otherwise I paid $1,130 for an option I don't have

Thank you all for your input. I think I'm hearing that for an F-250 it's fairly well equipped?

Last edited by UnclKracker; 07-19-2018 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Remove the last line.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:19 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by UnclKracker
[QUOTE (this show for a longbed and yours is a shortbed but the sticker shows having it so I'm guessing an option that can be had with a shortbed)
**F-250 High-Capacity Trailer Tow Package (F-250 with 8' box and diesel engine only) includes max. front springs, upgraded axles and 27,500 lb.-GCWR
/QUOTE]

Your saying according to Ford's brochure the High-Cap Tow Package shouldn't be available for the short bed? I hope Ford misprinted their brochure not the window sticker, otherwise I paid $1,130 for an option I don't have

Thank you all for your input. I think I'm hearing that for an F-250 it's fairly well equipped?
You cut too much out of the quote you were trying to use and it cut off the HTML coding for the quote to work.

To start the quote you need the following (replace the period with O in "QU.TE"):
[QU.TE=scraprat;18093302]

To end the quote you need the following (replace the period with O in "QU.TE"):
[/QU.TE]

If done properly your quote should show up like the inside quote here:

Originally Posted by UnclKracker
Originally Posted by scraprat
(this show for a longbed and yours is a shortbed but the sticker shows having it so I'm guessing an option that can be had with a shortbed)

Old 07-22-2018, 10:56 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm way too lazy to read all of this but in a nutshell I'd say my (former, 2014) F250 diesel 4x4 CC LB was quite capable of pulling/ controlling my former 10K loaded 5th.
The short bed you're looking at may create some problems but there are work-arounds: sliding hitches, Anderson (gooseneck style) hitches, etc.
While I may have been over some weights I never felt it was unsafe.

Everything above is "former" as I've recently upgraded - my new 16K load required a dually (in my opinion).

Old 11-02-2018, 12:00 PM
PurePilot77
New User
Jax,

People have a tendency to recommend the truck they currently have, whether 250 or 350. I have a 2017F-250 Platinum and I love it. I also bought it to get a FW in the near future. Understand a few things about these trucks:

1. A properly equipped F-250 will definitely pull what you're looking to pull, and do it with ease. But that's not the question--it comes down to payload. (By the way, check the door sticker on the one you want to buy--odds are you'll find the payload is much less than 3000, probably closer to 2000 depending on trim level/box length). With almost any FW you will be over payload in a 250, but could very well be under the max GAWR for front and rear. Legal? Not according to the door sticker. Safe--IMO, yes.

2. The only real difference between a 2017+ F-250 6.7 SRW and it's 350 counterpart is the addition of one helper spring for the 350. Literally everything else is the same (Engine, XMSN, Drivetrain, axles). Adding airbags to a F250 makes it a carbon copy 350--but still doesn't legally change the payload sticker. So you're really just buying a better payload sticker when you buy a SRW 6.7 350. The real difference doesn't come into play until you start taking DRW 350s--which is a whole new animal that can pull the ***** of Zeus.

Again, I have a '17 250 I absolutely love and with all the above said, I still go back and forth deciding to "upgrade" to a 350. I think if I do, I'll skip straight to a DRW. In the meantime, I have no worries pulling a FW with what I currently have.

Really hope this didn't confuse the heck outta ya.

~Ed

__________________________________________________ ___________________
2017 F-250 Platinum 6.7

Old 11-02-2018, 12:17 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I know weight police might take issue with your recommendation. Me, not so much as I towed my 10K fiver for 3 years with my 2011 F150 Ecoboost Max Tow. Yes, I was over the rear GAWR, but within all other numbers. When I decided to upgrade the truck for more versatility, I went straight to an F350 Powerstroke so I wouldn't feel constrained if I upgraded the fiver. I was actually amazed how little the difference was in towing. The F150 braking was outstanding, but I did add SuperSprings to the rear before even buying the fiver, so handling was good too. To me, the main difference is a harsher ride with the F350 (I got the snow plow prep which added heavier front springs and 3.55 rear vs 3.31), and I get 11-12 mpg with the Powerstroke towing vs 9-10 mpg with the Ecoboost. I understand the difference between real ratings and paper ratings. A 10K rated F350 is exactly the same truck as the 11.5K rated F350 but the sticker makes registration cheaper/easier.
All that said, I consider an F250 for up to around 2K LOADED pin weight and an F350 for up to about 3K loaded pin weight. The difference in price is only a few hundred. When pricing an F250 with camper package for more payload, they were about even so I ordered the F350 to get exactly what I wanted without the loaded (bloated) packages dealers like to have on the lot.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:30 PM
fortheford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'd think by now with this topic, virtually across every truck, camper, boat forum on the internet, would be put to rest.

#1 - there's no such thing as a "legal payload". I'll wait for the documented law applicable to RV - not CDL - that spells out the words "illegal to exceed the payload rating from manufacturer".
#2 - your insurance company doesn't give a **** about "you exceeded your payload rating of the manufacturer".
#3 - The F-250 6.7L is *identical* with the exception of overload spring of an F-350. If you think that over load spring is all that stands between your F-250 being able to tow a 5th wheel in the range you are considering, well nothing anyone else can say is going to change your mind. Edit: I was being a little to..hmm rhetorical with my *identical* wording. I was referring to things like frame, brakes, transmission, cooling, engine. I believe even when specifically talking about the 6.7L the rear axles are identical, but the 6.2 F-250 has a slightly smaller. Anyway, yes I should be more careful with my outside voice compared to what my inside voice is saying lol.

#4 - The "rule" of common sense is probably a lot more important than a "sticker on your door jamb". Would I want a 3K pin weight 40+ triple axle toy hauler on my F-250? No. Will I worry *in the slightest* about a 2K pin weight 35' 5th wheel weighing in around 10-11k? Not a bit.

I personally am looking at a Grand Design Reflections 28BH or 31MB. I feel they are ideal dimensions for a F-250, or a 2500 Ram/Chevy. Does my opinion matter to anyone else but me? Probably not, but here we are because what else would we debate about on here?

Old 11-02-2018, 11:01 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a lot of controversy to chew on: please allow me say/ agree that I am one who says you are entitled to your opinion.
However, as for me, I am a worry-wart - and I don't gamble. If Ford engineers recommends I need a heavier tow-vehicle then that's what I'll do.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:43 AM
PurePilot77
New User
Thumbs up Agreed!

Originally Posted by fortheford
You'd think by now with this topic, virtually across every truck, camper, boat forum on the internet, would be put to rest.

#1 - there's no such thing as a "legal payload". I'll wait for the documented law applicable to RV - not CDL - that spells out the words "illegal to exceed the payload rating from manufacturer".
#2 - your insurance company doesn't give a **** about "you exceeded your payload rating of the manufacturer".
#3 - The F-250 6.7L is *identical* with the exception of overload spring of an F-350. If you think that over load spring is all that stands between your F-250 being able to tow a 5th wheel in the range you are considering, well nothing anyone else can say is going to change your mind. Edit: I was being a little to..hmm rhetorical with my *identical* wording. I was referring to things like frame, brakes, transmission, cooling, engine. I believe even when specifically talking about the 6.7L the rear axles are identical, but the 6.2 F-250 has a slightly smaller. Anyway, yes I should be more careful with my outside voice compared to what my inside voice is saying lol.

#4 - The "rule" of common sense is probably a lot more important than a "sticker on your door jamb". Would I want a 3K pin weight 40+ triple axle toy hauler on my F-250? No. Will I worry *in the slightest* about a 2K pin weight 35' 5th wheel weighing in around 10-11k? Not a bit.

I personally am looking at a Grand Design Reflections 28BH or 31MB. I feel they are ideal dimensions for a F-250, or a 2500 Ram/Chevy. Does my opinion matter to anyone else but me? Probably not, but here we are because what else would we debate about on here?
Whole heartedly agree with everything you laid out! I'm also looking at the Grand Design Reflection series for the same reasons you stated--quality meets appropriate weight for my 250. They're really nice rigs! My 2017 250 Platinum with airbags and good shocks will safely pull anything a 350 can. If we find we really like the rv lifestyle and want to upgrade the FW to something bigger, I can always upgrade to a 350 DRW. Thanks for the input!

~Ed

Old 11-03-2018, 07:51 AM
fortheford
Senior User
Originally Posted by Army RET
That is a lot of controversy to chew on: please allow me say/ agree that I am one who says you are entitled to your opinion.
However, as for me, I am a worry-wart - and I don't gamble. If Ford engineers recommends I need a heavier tow-vehicle then that's what I'll do.
Thank you - that was a really respectful response. Just for what it is worth, the 10K number isn't a "Ford engineer" number - that comes from the DOT for classification of a class 2 truck. If you look at the FAWR, RAWR and load rating of even the OEM tires, they are > 10,000lbs by a pretty large amount. Personally I think the number that is a truer indicator of being safe is the GCWR value (truck + trailer).

Given your forum name, I'll make the assumption you are somewhat familiar with how ...efficient...the US Government is at applying "common sense" to laws & regulations

Old 11-03-2018, 01:07 PM
Drisean
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fortheford

After a discussion with our state's DOT about related issues, I think this may be coming. They are asking: Why should an RV, either as motorhome or a trailer in combination with a tow vehicle, exceeding GCWR of 26000 lbs be treated any differently than a commercial vehicle? They say: You're on the road with it like everyone else.

A lot of laws aren't written in the United States as people don't want to overregulate and appeal to common sense. If you exceed your payload crudely, you're putting yourself and others at risk. It's as simple as that. You shouldn't need a law to tell you this, IMHO.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:11 PM
fortheford
Senior User
We agree, shouldn't exceed payload crudely. Where we probably don't agree is that 10,000 GVWR is *not* a structural design limitation. It is a paper classification. RAWR + FAWR + tire load capacity > artificial sticker to maintain a DOT classification. Still all good, nobody else is volunteering to make my payment lol and I'm not paying anyone else's

Old 11-04-2018, 09:27 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2018 F250SD CCSB, with 6.2 & 4.30 gears pulls our 30' Arctic Fox that empty empty weights are 10.6K & 2100 pin just fine, even double pulling my ATV and trailer..I also have the camper package, sag is about 3 in..

Old 11-04-2018, 12:50 PM
fortheford
Senior User
Dang Arctic Fox is such a nice RV. Really wish they would make a bunkhouse floorplan.

Quick Reply: Interested in F-250 5th wheeling... am I out of my league?