Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump and new Hitch Saga.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:46 PM
housedad
Postmaster
housedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputation
Fuel Pump and new Hitch Saga.

Well, I needed to replace my fuel pump, so I opted to replace the entire assembly, not just clean the filters and replace the motor. Since I was already in there, I went ahead and replaced the Hitch.
There have been other threads on how to do that, and this thread is not about that, but taking care of the other problems that cropped up. I don't have pics for everything I did, but I'm trying to keep making them. This thread will spur me on to finish this job.

Anyway, the job started as expected, depressurized the fuel line, Replaced the fuel filter first. No problems. There went $10
Ordered a new Delphi pump assembly from Rockauto. There goes $135

Jacked up the rear, chocked the front, and looked underneath. Found the fuel filler neck corroded up. Great, more expense. Ordered one from Rockauto. There goes another $170.

Start the tank removal process. Can't get the stinking hoses off even with taking out the screws and pulling the filler neck around. Cut the hoses. Ordered 10 inches of 1-1/2" and 16 inches of 5/8" fuel hose from FillerNeckSupply. com. Ordered new clamps for peace of mind. There goes another $29.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:58 PM
housedad
Postmaster
housedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputation
Finally get the tank dropped enough. I used a motorcycle jack to lower it since the jack has a wide enough base to hold it stable. Remove all hoses and wires without issue.

Pull the tank out. Take the plastic tank out of metal skid. Start cussing and crying. Wail at the wind and rain. Sit down and pout. The skid plate is rusted up fairly bad. Rusted through in one area. Seam on one side so expanded with rust it was rubbing the gas tank. Put some scratches on it, but it would have gotten worse and eventually rubbed a hole in the tank.

All Repairable, but at a lot of time and trouble. Correct repair would be to grind out all the welds, have the pieces sandblasted, cut out bad areas, fabricate and weld in new metal, and weld it all together again.
Then have to paint it including the hidden areas. I started looking around for a replacement from the South to see if it would be worth buying a rust free one.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:08 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
nicmike can probably hook ya up with a good one

Old 07-14-2018, 09:15 PM
thor363
Senior User
thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.thor363 has a great reputation on FTE.
^^^ THIS ^^^

Old 07-14-2018, 09:15 PM
housedad
Postmaster
Here is what the skid looks like. Not all that bad, but it will get a lot worse after this coming winter with the salt. The salt is rather progressive in what it does. What is a tiny speck of rust in November is a rust spot the size of a 50 cent piece by April. What was 50 cents in November becomes a freaking hole by April.

I had to Bang out the rust in the seam with a sledge. This is the hole. Yeah, I could have hit it with POR15 or just cut it out and repaint, or a lot of other things. But I wanted a better solution.

For some reason, the rust is way worse inside the channel. Heavy flaked rust.

Other rust. Could be repaired with sandblast, but that would still leave the rust under the seams to come right back.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 PM
housedad
Postmaster
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
nicmike can probably hook ya up with a good one
Give me a few minutes guys. I did get another good one. The drama unfolds....

Old 07-14-2018, 09:29 PM
housedad
Postmaster
So, anyway, I decided to clean it up a bit, Hit it with a bit of paint here and there, and put it back in until I could find another skid.

It was time to clean the tank, and replace the hoses and pump assembly.
As with all things, it did not go as planned. I tried to remove the pressure sensor and it came apart in my hands. Gahhhhh! And there goes another $40 to Rockauto. and 4 days delay.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:43 PM
housedad
Postmaster
But, I put the time to good use.

I Replaced the fluid on the rear axle and Installed a new aluminum cover I've had forever. It was really strange to be able to sit on a mechanics stool under car and do this. The truck was jacked up so much and without the tank in the way, it left a cavern under there.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:54 PM
housedad
Postmaster
Then it was the hitch removal. I had bought a new hitch , bolts, plates, and a electrical jack with mounting plate over 9 years ago in anticipation of this time.. My old hitch was so rusted in the back of it it had a hole. Not conducive to safely towing near 10k lbs down the highway.

Like everyone else, the torque sheer bolts seemed like a problem at first, but I had them out in about 10 minutes each. I took a 11 amp Dewalt 4-1/2" grinder, a thin cutoff wheel, and held it right along the hitch line on the frame and cut sideways clear through half the head of the bolt. Cut a slot in the center of the bolt to remove the cut half, and then cut the other half away. Had some pretty half moons left over. Just for giggles, I just happen to have 2 of those sheer bolts unused, and the pic is below. . The parts guy at my dealer I bought them from must have convinced me I needed them back then. Heck if I remember. They were in the box with the other bolts and plates. Now you all know what those dang bolts look like. You keep turning them until the hex head wrings off at the narrow neck below it, leaving the large flat head behind. This leaves them with a specified amount of torque, and cannot be removed easily

The Body is pretty free of rust, thank god. The exhaust, exhaust hangers, some of the front axle, and spots of the frame have some rust on them.. i decided to scrape and clean rusted areas on the frame inside around the tank where I won't be able to reach when the tank is back in and spray with a couple of coats of 3m undercoat just on the frame.
After that dried, I started the hitch install.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:19 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
That factory applied blue thread locker gives up with a little heat. When I had my gas tank down for a pump replacement I heated the shear bolts with a MAP torch and spun the whole bolt out by using a pipe wrench on the round heads, was super easy and quick! I then cheated and welded nuts to the round heads and reused them, but then they had a hex nut there so they could be turned out easily the next time.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:38 PM
housedad
Postmaster
I quickly found that with my weakened shoulders, ( I broke one a couple years ago) I could not lift the hitch myself under the car. I had no helper, and the motorcycle jack was too short. So I rednecked a solution. Grabbed a folding table, a couple of 2 X 6's, and did this and it fit right up with a small gap!!!

The install went easy after that. torqued everything to 86 ft-lbs.

Before installation, the hitch and the electrical bracket were coated thoroughly with 2 to 3 coats of Eastwood rubberized rust encapsulating undercoat and the inside of the 2 inch hitch tube was stripped inside and coated with two coats of epoxy paint.. Hopefully that will slow the rust down in the future. If the encapsulator coating grays out in the sun over time, I won't mind as long as it keeps the powder coat from peeling at the edges. Like, I said, powder coat sucks.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:09 PM
housedad
Postmaster
Anyway, back to the skid plate.

I had searched around and found a bone yard on Ebay in Texas that was selling a excursion gas tank for about $100 shipped. That seemed a better deal than others that were wanting $250 and up plus shipping. After calling some of them I found out they were just talking about the plastic tank without the pump. Sheeesh!!

So I called the boneyard and the guy said he thought it had the skid as part of the sale. He called me back the next day and told me it was in pretty good shape. I said great, and bought it.

I get a email from him the next day saying to call. I called and he said he had a OOPs. He found UPS and the others would not ship something that large and heavy. It had to go truck freight and that would be another $120 bucks. OUCH.
So another $220 out the door.

The tank came yesterday. Thankfully via a lift gate on a pallet. Driver put it right at the door to the garage. It was wrapped really well in plastic. I unwrapped it and it had the tank on a pallet, sans pump and ring. It was COVERED in heavy dirt. I should have expected it, having lived in Texas for a time as a boy. All that dust accumulates on everything and builds up some really thick layers It acts like fine clay mud when wet.
A couple of hours yesterday and a couple today and I've got it mostly clean. Not good enough for paint yet, but close.
It is in good shape. All rust is in the open and is just very mild surface rust. Seems to be sandblasted in those areas from dirt roads.That would explain why so MUCH dirt. Close inspection of the seams shows the paint is completely intact inside them right along the line of the outside plate edge, which is another indicator any rust is from road blast.

In this area, the surface rust is very mild. Will clean up completely with a angle grinder and a flap disk. I might use a 3m stripping disk, though.

Easy rust and paint cleanup expected.

Again rather mild surface rust from the rubbing of the tank on the inside. Not a problem at all.

Inside the seams is near perfect.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:14 PM
housedad
Postmaster
Along the way of doing all this stuff, I noticed another problem ( I said it was a saga, didn't I?)

I found a HOLE in the bleeding muffler! Well that's gotta be fixed. I could wrap it, plug it, weld it, or smack on some epoxy stuff, but I'm not 17 years old anymore. The pipes were pretty rusted in, and had a soft spot in one area. It was time for another exhaust. A couple of brackets were in poor shape, so I proceeded to look for brackets and an exhaust.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:23 PM
housedad
Postmaster
I ended up ordering the Gibson side swept in stainless part # 619995. Found a place online offering it for $420 shipped from Gibson. Found all three brackets on EBAy.

Two of the brackets came a couple days ago and the Exhaust came today. Still waiting on the third bracket. Says another week to arrive. Must be coming from the deep forests of Mother Russia or something.

$109 in brackets, $420 in exhaust out the door. This is getting monotonous. If the third bracket never shows up, I can always make one. They are pretty simple to weld up something. Blank tipped rods are available online. Just more time spent.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:24 PM
housedad
Postmaster
And that is where I'm at tonight. Tomorrow I have housework to do. (Drywall and electric) .For now, I have put the old skid plate and tank into place so I can drive it around until the newer skid is cleaned, painted, and coated.

This all leaves me with a conundrum. What to do with the plastic tank they sent? It apparently was from a diesel, but the tanks are the same in any case. Hmmm. Keep it for a rainy day or sell it? I hate these decisions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump and new Hitch Saga.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.