6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

New to FTE

Old 06-25-2018, 04:40 PM
MDF4J
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to FTE

Hello all, new to the FTE. I've been cruising the 2017HD forum for awhile and about three weeks ago I bought a 2018 F-250 XL 6.2. This truck is one of my business trucks and just for my use to rove around jobsites and keep up with the progress. I've been a Ram Cummins customer for around twenty years and my eldest truck ( 1999 2500 5.9 CTD, 497,516 on the OD ) has served me well and overall I have nothing negative to say about the Cummins 5.9 and 6.7 TD. Many of my friends are Ford 250 / 350 owners and other than peripheral issues that occur in all makes, they all really like the Super Duty. I really like this truck and does seem a little strange to pull up to the pump and not use diesel, but I do like the price for 87 as compared to diesel. I do need to ask a recommendation...re; Oil
I've never gone the recommended mileage for the first oil change. I always changed oil and filter in the first 1500 miles and I want to have that done this week but could use some advice on 5w 30 full synthetic brand re; Motorcraft, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Amsoil??
Any thought thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated... Thanks, Hal

Old 06-25-2018, 05:49 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I use Mobile 1 5/30 extended life and change it every 5000 to 6000 miles.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:49 PM
tibadoe
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MDF4J
.....................I do need to ask a recommendation...re; Oil
I've never gone the recommended mileage for the first oil change. I always changed oil and filter in the first 1500 miles and I want to have that done this week but could use some advice on 5w 30 full synthetic brand re; Motorcraft, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Amsoil??
Any thought thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated... Thanks, Hal
I believe you will be fine with which ever full syn oil you decide to go with. The main thing is to change the oil and filter by what the manual recommends at a minimum. I myself, change mine out more often because I like to do the services on my F350 and it's so easy to change the oil on these trucks.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:19 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by T diesel
I use Mobile 1 5/30 extended life and change it every 5000 to 6000 miles.
Same here... my 2012 6.2L has 159,000 miles currently.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:48 PM
MDF4J
Freshman User
Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback. I've always used Valvoline on the diesels but from what I've read I think I'll go with the Mobil1. My son is an A&P mechanic and he does like getting under the trucks every so often...can't beat the price. Thanks again Hal

Old 06-28-2018, 05:40 PM
HST
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Early change out is not necessary but if it makes you feel better that's all that matters. Just use a quality 5w30 and you'll be just fine. Heck, if you like a synthetic, ST 5w30 full synthetic is under $17 for a 5 quart jug and is a great oil that's more than capable.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:39 PM
MDF4J
Freshman User
Thanks HST, I appreciate the info. I've always changed oil in first couple thousand just to check for shavings, etc...and if something is there I'll send in an oil sample. Probably just a matter of peace of mind I guess.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:05 PM
MDF4J
Freshman User
I did the oil change yesterday 2081 miles and no debris on the drain plug. I have to say tho', I'm not at all impressed with the flimsy corkscrew dipstick that is spot welded 2/3 the way up. All in all, I'm very happy with this truck and as of this morning (doing the math) after fill up I'm @ 15.3 MPG. In my opinion that's pretty good since I spend a lot of time in central L.A. with nothing but stop and go driving. Best to all and have a "Happy and safe 4th!

Old 07-04-2018, 05:25 PM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I've got some advice, but probably not the kind you're looking for ...

I presume you'll change your oil according to the prescribed OEM limits? If so, don't waste your money on syns; for moderate OCIs they will not reduce your wear rates; they won't make your engine "cleaner" and they won't increase your resale value. I have over 200 UOAs on the 6.2L engine, covering 8 years from all kinds of applications and use. I can assure you that syns don't reduce wear in this application, no matter what sales hype or friends tell you. No one ever got an extra $1000 in resale or trade-in because they used Amsoil or Mobil 1.

For a syn lube to be "worth" it's price of admission, it should do something extraordinary that equates to it's price differential. If a syn lube costs 3x more money, then it should do one of two things:
1) reduce wear by that ratio; wear would have to be 3x lower across the board in a normal duration of use
2) extend the OCI by that ratio; wear would have to be "normal" but at 3x the "normal" distance
If the syn cannot do either of those, then you're paying for stuff you're not getting a performance benefit from.

I can assure you, and prove, that in 99.9% of all vehicle applications, syn's don't reduce wear in a "normal" (OEM applied) change interval. And if you're not going to extend your OCI, then you cannot get the duration effect needed. See this link and read the article:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-...hat-is-normal/

I would know; I'm a reformed syn-lube junkie. I used to think they were the best answer for everything. Then I became educated (due to work opportunities and obligations) and so I got deep into UOAs and equipment PM. I started studying lubricant effects and doing UOAs on all manner of equipment (engines, generators, gear boxes, etc). I put my training in statistical processing/quality control together with my maintenance background. I am not saying this to be a nay-sayer or argue with anyone. I can prove beyond any reasonable doubt that syns lubes are a typical waste of money for normal applications. RARE is the time a syn is NEEDED. Sure, folks "want" to use them. And that's OK. As long as you're OK with wasting your money, that's OK by me. But don't try to convince yourself they are worth the money; the facts and data clearly prove otherwise.

Want a good lube for your 6.2L? Just use any oil that is qualified/licensed under the Ford spec for 5w-30 (WSS-M2C946-A). Sure there are syn lubes that meet the spec. But so do a slew of conventional lubes. Check the PD sheets for conventional Mobil, Valvoline, SOPUS, Castrol and other products.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:51 PM
MDF4J
Freshman User
Thank you Dnewton3 for your informative comments. This new Super Duty is the first truck I've ever used Synth in and I was somewhat torn as to the brand etc and I went with Valvoline full synth. I've always changed oil in my diesels every 4-5000 miles and originally used Castrol and then to Valvoline HD 15w-40. As I mentioned earlier my eldest truck is just under 500,000 on the clock and doesn't burn oil or have any blow by. I know that may be hard to believe, but that's the truth, so if there is any testimony that can be given, "Synth Vs. Dino" I would have to agree that Synth is a waste of $$. I'm curious; how many 6.2 owners have scrapped synthetic?
I might also mention that these are work trucks that are very well maintained but nonetheless worked.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:44 PM
rled
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MDF4J
Thank you Dnewton3 for your informative comments. This new Super Duty is the first truck I've ever used Synth in and I was somewhat torn as to the brand etc and I went with Valvoline full synth. I've always changed oil in my diesels every 4-5000 miles and originally used Castrol and then to Valvoline HD 15w-40. As I mentioned earlier my eldest truck is just under 500,000 on the clock and doesn't burn oil or have any blow by. I know that may be hard to believe, but that's the truth, so if there is any testimony that can be given, "Synth Vs. Dino" I would have to agree that Synth is a waste of $$. I'm curious; how many 6.2 owners have scrapped synthetic?
I might also mention that these are work trucks that are very well maintained but nonetheless worked.

I have often wondered when ford or any manufacturer, recommends an oil, is their intent to get you through warranty or is the recommendation based on a product that will get you many thousands of miles past warranty when changed and used correctly.....

Old 07-05-2018, 10:46 PM
rled
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forgot to mention. I changed my 17 6.2 oil at 2,000 with motorcraft syn blend (recommended in manual). I changed at 5,000 to mobil 1. Coming up on 10,000 and debating on just sticking with ford oil. $4.?? At walmart.....

Old 07-06-2018, 01:54 AM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I change my oil every 5k miles. I use 5w30 Mobil 1 full synthetic from Walmart ($22.00 for the 5qt jug) and a motorcraft oil filter also from Walmart ($3). I always buy an extra 5qt jug every other oil change. I change my own oil so that is cheap enough for me, and gives me peace of mind. Oh and I agree the dipstick is ridiculous.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:37 PM
MDF4J
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Blue6.2
I change my oil every 5k miles. I use 5w30 Mobil 1 full synthetic from Walmart ($22.00 for the 5qt jug) and a motorcraft oil filter also from Walmart ($3). I always buy an extra 5qt jug every other oil change. I change my own oil so that is cheap enough for me, and gives me peace of mind. Oh and I agree the dipstick is ridiculous.
I just checked Walmarts' site...still $ 22.00 for Mobil 1...sounds like a deal to me. Thanks Blue6.2 hal

Old 07-08-2018, 06:51 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1st oil change was at 3k with Mobil 1 synthetic oil and ford filter. Now I change oil and filter every 5k or a little more maybe 6k. I always use synthetic Mobil 1 5w 20 like the oil cap and manual say and a motorcraft filter. Always buy oil and filter at Walmart. It’s 22 bucks for a 5 quart container and 3 for the filter. So about 35 bucks for a synthetic oil change which is way cheaper than the dealership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to FTE