Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my first big Bronco, a1996!

Old 07-13-2018, 08:36 PM
ablack350
Freshman User
ablack350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just got my first big Bronco, a1996!

This is a Bronco XLT 5.8, automatic. It's all stock, never modified in any way. And best part for me is it spent its whole life in Roswell, New Mexico. No rust!

Is the original tire size 235-75-15 ? I've also seen 265-75-15 mentioned.

I'd like to go bigger, like maybe a 31x10.50R15LT. See any problems with that choice?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2018, 11:32 PM
McLeod
Posting Guru
McLeod has a good reputation on FTE.McLeod has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ablack350 View Post
This is a Bronco XLT 5.8, automatic. It's all stock, never modified in any way. And best part for me is it spent its whole life in Roswell, New Mexico. No rust!

Is the original tire size 235-75-15 ? I've also seen 265-75-15 mentioned.

I'd like to go bigger, like maybe a 31x10.50R15LT. See any problems with that choice?

Thanks!
265 was an optional size when new, which is pretty close to what a 31 tire actually measures out as.
I think most of the rigs that got the towing package got the larger 265 tires.
Heck some even stuff 33s under a stock bronco.
Personally, I like to see a little bit of air around the tire - not stuffed up into the wheel well- so I think 33's look better with a 4" lift

Old 07-14-2018, 04:26 AM
ablack350
Freshman User
Thanks McLeod!

Now I can go buy some 31's as that is one thing this '96 needs right away.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:08 AM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
Congrats on the new purchase. Post up some pics!
31" tires will fit just fine.

If I recall correctly, in the 92 - 96 body style, 32" tires are about the max before they start to rub on the bumper. 33" on the 78 - 91 body style.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:48 AM
ablack350
Freshman User

Thank you. Here is a picture of it. Getting the new tires put on in an hour. Can't wait!

Old 07-18-2018, 01:14 PM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
Awesome! Nice, clean Bronco. There's less and less of those every day Take good care of it.

Some 31s will look great on that.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:09 PM
ablack350
Freshman User

Here it is with new shoes!

Old 07-18-2018, 10:55 PM
AbandonedBronco
That looks awesome!
I LOVE those KO2s on mine.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:42 PM
Bruners4
Senior User
Bruners4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
33x10.5R15 tires fit with just a little work. I had to shim out the front bumper and added leveling springs on the front. No rubbing!
Very nice looking rig! How nice is the interior?

Old 07-25-2018, 04:56 AM
ablack350
Freshman User
Thanks, and thanks for the 33 info. I may go that route next time I buy tires for it.

Interior is very good, not perfect. It has a worn spot on the drivers seat. I'll try to get a picture on here later today. I also got the Marti report and it looks like it had a lot of options, I'll try to post a pic of it also.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:17 PM
ablack350
Freshman User

worn drivers seat
Here are some interior pics and the Marti report.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:20 PM
AbandonedBronco
Oh wow, you got a gem.
Nice!!

Old 07-25-2018, 09:06 PM
ablack350
Freshman User
I noticed that the battery cables have had those replacement ends put on them. You know, the kind where you strip off some insulation then lay it on bottom portion of clamp, then tighten a flat strap of metal across the exposed copper. I hate those, too many experiences with poor connections!

So now I'm wondering if I can still get originals from Ford? Or is it too old and I'll need to look for reproductions?

Also among the options listed are a "cargo cover" and a "cargo net", anybody have those for sale?

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2018, 12:11 PM
AbandonedBronco
You should be able to get battery cables at any auto parts store with the ends properly soldered. I did for mine.
And good call on avoiding the ones with the clamp replacement ends. They work in a pinch, but are a poor long term solution.

Not sure on the cargo cover/net. I've heard they're kinda rare and hard to find. Junk yard, craigslist, for sale section, etc.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:13 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.
That's a great looking truck, congrats! and yes, my Bronco came with 31" tires from the factory, definitely a great size for everyday use and mild off-roading. Be sure to install an auxiliar transmission cooler and replace the auto-locking hubs with some good manuals, those are a couple of inexpensive mods that will make your truck way more dependable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just got my first big Bronco, a1996!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.